Messi

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

Messi

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Messi yesterday evening, the guy is a genius and a messiah, god save king Leo !!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Messi

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:37 am

But compared to tonight's match at the Etihad, it was all rather predictable & boring!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:09 am

Manchesteral wrote:Messi yesterday evening, the guy is a genius and a messiah, god save king Leo !!
He is a very good footballer who was playing against an ordinary team. Messiah, God save? are stronging it a bit.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 pm

My son says he is still a genius

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 am

So do mine Maureen and its easy to forget all his triumphs when he's had a bad game...At his very best he's unbeatable.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:02 pm

I personally think Messi is the best footballer we have ever seen. Makes Pele and Besty look normal. I still wouldn’t call him god tho.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 pm

No that was reserved for Eric Clapton in the 1960s.... EC is God...featured on a lot of walls :clap:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:24 pm

costakid wrote:I personally think Messi is the best footballer we have ever seen. Makes Pele and Besty look normal. I still wouldn’t call him god tho.
Tongue in cheek Costakid, but if there was a god (and b t w I am strongly athiest) he would look like Messi :-)

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 pm

The best discription of Messi that i have heard was by Arsène Wenger who said.
Messi is artiste.
I not big into football but i think i know talent and he is like ballet dancer who is great footballer.
It is more remarkable when we consider he had hormone disorder growing up.

About God, what's the difference between God and Bono? God dosen't think he is Bono....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm big into football and take the opportunity to go to matches wherever I visit. Last Weekend was spent in Madrid so I went to Real Madrid's match with Athletic Bilbao.
I think Messi Is a great player but I would not make him the greatest of all time. There have been many great players and my benchmark would be winning the World Cup so I would give it to either Pele or Maradona. I would also include Ronaldo as one of the greatest and that's where it becomes very difficult to define one or another as the best because they all play in a completely different style.

Many people believe Best and Charlton were the best British players but only got to see them a couple of times live and we didn't have the benefit of seeing them week in week out so my vote would go to Paul Gascoigne who I saw play many times and was unbelievably skillful.

Having said that, I go to watch my son play in about 7 leagues down from La Liga and to my mind watching through rose tinted glasses, he's better than all of them. :x

Congrats to my team Southampton who now hold the record for one of their players scoring the fastest hat-trick and now fastest goal in the premiership, last night's goal was so quick, I missed it because I nipped to the kitchen to get something quickly before settling down to watch the match..
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Messi is a great club player, but I still also rate Pele and Maradona above him. They displayed their skills and dominated games at international level in a way that Messi never has.
The best British player I ever saw live was Best, who was a fantastic player. I think if he the chance of displaying his skills at the World Cup for a top side he would have been rated one of the best ever.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Well, it takes more than one player to make a great team, and Messi wasn't on the team described by their manager last night as "f***ing mentality giants", so who cares how good he his? :lol:

Can't wait for tonight's game; hoping for more of the same excitement!

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Barca were 2nd in every area last night. Messi never turned up and the others were all very poor.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu May 09, 2019 10:39 am

In any dream team I could have it would always feature Zidane, Cantona, and Ibrahimović
I So Bella tis you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm

I almost gave up on the game last night. Was Spurs' comeback even more amazing than Liverpool's?
Should be a great final.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 11, 2019 9:56 am

And now 4 English teams filling all the European final places, which will helped to back up my constant arguments with the Spanish that that English league is the strongest.

I've never disagreed with the fact that over a few years that Spain had the best 3 or even 4 teams, compared with our top 4 teams, even though I didn't think Real Madrid were anywhere near the best last year but managed to put together some good performances when it mattered in the Champions league.

The way TV money has been given out in Spain means that smaller teams haven't been able to attract decent players so the big teams didn't use to have nearly as many hard energy sapping games, often meaning teams were better prepared for European matches. The last couple of seasons this has changed though and the demise of Spanish clubs in Europe reflects this.

While other the other hand, there are very few easy matches in the Premier League because the money is spread out more and even some of the bottom teams play good football, including my team who have beaten both Spurs and Ars%nal this season. as well as getting points off Man U and Chelsea but still managed to lose to both Fulham and Cardiff twice.