Looking for a holiday home around Competa, Sedella and Salares

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Rene23
Tourist

Looking for a holiday home around Competa, Sedella and Salares

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 am

Hi new forum member. We were wondering if there is any one living in or near above mentioned villages. We are starting to look for property in that area, and the area more or less around Colmenar and would love to hear whether it is nice. Looking for a refurbished townhouse with 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms. We are speaking wih 2 very helpful agents in both areas but always good to hear what current owners think of the area as well. Is there a thriving ex pat community as well? We both do not speak spanish..at the moment... and are also wondering if that could become an issue. Thank you very much

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Looking for a holiday home around Competa, Sedella and Salares

Postby casita-bonita » Sun May 05, 2019 12:02 pm

We live near Competa in a smaller village called Sayalonga. No experience of what it is like to livr in, but we do go there if we cant be *beep* to drive down to tje coast. Large expat community of mixed nationalities. Plenty of decent restaurants, although no Asian. Couple of large supermarkets, Eroski and Dia and good selection of smaller shops. Saturday market. Sports centre, indoor pool, all the facilities one would need. Cheap townhouses available both needing reform or ready to move in. Personally wouldn't want to live there as we prefer campo, peace and space. But I can see that you could live happily in Competa and have no real need to venture out for supplies.

Never been to the other two villages you mention.
Regards

Bob

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 pm

We like Competa, some nice little restaurants with descent food. Plenty of expats. The downside is the drive down to the coast. That road would be the one thing that pit me off living there. I guess that’s why we are on the coast.

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Many thanks. Can you tell me what the issue is with the road. Busy?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun May 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Not at all busy. Its a wide tarmacced main road. But once you get past Sayalonga it gets very twisty winding its way up to Competa. Much turning of the steering wheel required, hence slow going and virtually no opportunities to overtake should you be unfortunate enough to be behind a really slow driver or lorry. Dont get me started on the packs of bl##dy cyclists particularly at the weekends.
Regards

Bob

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Agree, it is a very twisty and winding road with nil chance of over taking..Competa is a nice place but it is over run with expats and if that is important to you then i guess if you don't mind the road up and down then it may suit you.

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 pm

We are open to other suggestions. So please feel free to give a few alternatives for us to investigate as long as it more away from the coast. Thank you kindly

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun May 05, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm sure everyone thinks the village they live in is The Best but I would urge you to consider Canillas de Aceituno. Far fewer expats in the actual little town, which gives it a much more Spanish feel than Competa. There are plenty in the campo of diferent nationalities though and we have regular get-togethers - for instance, Scrabble night on a Tuesday, a quiz once a month, an open mike night starting up soon.

There are several excellent restaurants, bars, shops, a farmacia, a doctor's surgery. We've lived here for 7 years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We're a half hour drive to the coast and an hour to Malaga airport. If you have any questions, please ask :)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Also re beaware its a lot colder in the winter than on the coast.so not a good choice if you plan to have alot of winter sun hols. It can be half the costal temp in the winter and feel it! Canillas de albaida is really lovely. Very near competa. Alot smaller but we were really impressed when we visted for the first time.very pretty and quiet.

The drive imo is very tiring. Fine if you dont plan to venture out much but once every 6 month plus is more than enough for us

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks you so much for all the valuable info. Really appreciate it! If you say the drive is tiring. Do you mean the drive from Malaga or up from the coast?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun May 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Up grom the coast. The rest is 30 minutes on a quiet motorway.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Rene23 wrote:Thanks you so much for all the valuable info. Really appreciate it! If you say the drive is tiring. Do you mean the drive from Malaga or up from the coast?
The drive from the coast upto competa. Very windy slow road.even though its not far km wise it takes a while as you are lucky to get out of second most of the time. Obviously if you do the drive alot you get to the know the road more so its easier. Its not a road if you get travel sick. Have a look on street view at the road it prob will give you an idea

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I will do. I'm hoping to come over in June and look at some properties and Canillas Albaida also had a property that might be of interest

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Agreed both roads up from the coast are torture, the one from Torrox being the longest 11km in the world, or so it feels, it takes forever. The regulars will tell you it's not too bad and you get used to it. Poppycock, I wouldn't live up there for a gold watch.

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:28 pm

So maybe we should also consider other villages, closer to the coast . As I’m there in June I might as well take the time to explore. What suggestions would you put forward? Thank you

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am

Lyric wrote:Agreed both roads up from the coast are torture, the one from Torrox being the longest 11km in the world, or so it feels, it takes forever. The regulars will tell you it's not too bad and you get used to it. Poppycock, I wouldn't live up there for a gold watch.

Agree entirely. That was the best bit of advice we got when we first came here 23 years ago to look for a property ..... 'you don't want to live in Competa'. I guess if you are just going to spend an occasional week's holiday and you stock up with what you want and stay up there, it's not too bad if you like that sort of thing. However, any time longer than that then the road up there would drive me mad.

As others have mentioned, the weather can be much colder and cloudier there too. We used to live somewhere where we could see the start of Competa village although we were actually in Torrox campo, and there were countless times the valley north towards Competa was in thick heavy cloud whilst we were in sunshine in the winter. If you want winter sun/warmth then that's something to consider.

You mentioned Colmenar which is much further inland but the road to it is far better. It's an area I like to visit as we very much like the Montes de Malaga. Depends on what your interests are and whether you are likely to want to spend time on the coast. If it's just a holiday home then your requirements may be different to those of us who are permanent residents here and want to have more facilities closer by, or be closer to the motorway junction. I would guess that prices are cheaper as you go inland too, if that is an issue.

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Firstly I would like to say how much we appreciate all the info and feedback. Thank you so much. So maybe I should give a little bit more info with regards to our intentions.

We will never move to Spain permanently. It really will be a place for us to go for holidays whether that being in winter spring summer or autumn. We prefer a townhouse as we feel this is easier to maintain. Lock up and go. We would like to be in a more authentic village but also not too remote and some English speakers around is a plus for sure . Furthermore I am a nature/bird photographer so would like to be somewhere with easy access to good spots to photograph if that makes any sense. Many of my images on my website are taken in Andalusia.

We have been to Ronda on a number of occasions but we were pointed towards Competa by friends. To be honest we are totally flexible and are also looking at another part of Andalusia. We speak with 2 very helpful agents. Competa properties and Andalusian property sales. We don't want to be further away then 1.30 hours from Malaga airport. So like I said...Competa is an option but we are more then happy to hear other suggestions. Again thank you so much , really appreciate the help. After all....we can only spend our money once and would like to do the right thing and not regret it afterwards

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Where will you stay when you come in June? Being so mountainous, wherever you are in this area you're not really far from being able to access countryside and fairly untouched areas for birdwatching.

I am close to the coast (15mins) but we have a pretty good range of birds like hoopoes, nightjars and passing bee-eaters, plus there's a Golden Oriel we often hear, and very occasionally see, nearby. As I said, Colmenar is close to the Montes de Malaga where we've seen eagles but they are pretty common all along the coast here. I do tick them off in my bird book when I've seen them!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 pm

In all honesty what one area/village or town is good for one person may not be good for another..I think your best bet is that when you do go over is to have a good look around..there are lots of places to see within an hour or so of the airport...all lovely in their own way..I personally love the drive between Malaga and Granada and there are lots of lovely villages en route including the place where IreneD lives...All very beautiful...

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon May 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Lyric wrote:Agreed both roads up from the coast are torture, the one from Torrox being the longest 11km in the world, or so it feels, it takes forever. The regulars will tell you it's not too bad and you get used to it. Poppycock, I wouldn't live up there for a gold watch.
You've obviously never driven the M25 particularly on a Friday afternoon..... Took usnearly 2 hours to do Gatwick to Basingstoke last friday and tjat is only 60 miles all motorway.

Seriously though the Torrox to competa road is really windy pretty much all the way, two hands required on steering wheel all the way. Algarobbo to competa is much better, the first 12km is one handed steering apart from 1, ok 2 bends just before Sayalonga. The final 5kms are very windy and need 2 hand steering.

Thete are loads of villages around here that would most likely fit your requirements. We love Sayalonga, much smaller than Competa, still very Spanish, but doesn't have the shopping facilities of larger villages, and of course fewer bars. But the three that we have are very 'comfortable' places. In fact the one we frequent most you can order 'burger bob' or 'bob's ribs'.

We're not birdwatchers particularly but always stop what we're doing to watch the eagles and hawks hover overhead. Lovely to hear eagles talking to each other.

You'll get many different opinions so really you need to visit a few. Bear in mind though that the one you ultimately feel most comfortable in may not be the one with most facilities, or gives the best initial impression. It takes time to appreciate and settle into a place, especially the smaller more spanishy ones. It's the little things like everbody saying hola when you walk around that makes it for us.
Regards

Bob