Looking for a holiday home around Competa, Sedella and Salares

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Looking for a holiday home around Competa, Sedella and Salares

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 pm

costakid wrote:The road up from the coast is a nightmare. Ok on a 1 off but not one you would want to do on a regular basis. I have friends who used to have an agency in Competa, They used to collect customers from Malaga airport and be asked to abort the trip half way up the mountain road to Competa.

I like Competa but there is a little click of expats who just sit in bars in the square and get pis==d every day.

Sounds like a plan :-) :-)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:14 am

I was a passenger going up to Competa, that was bad enough but the coming back down was scary, i remember thinking that i wouldn't want to travel the road to work each day, not my idea of fun..

Rene23
Tourist

Postby Rene23 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:09 am

Back to the drawing board. My wife had a car accident a number of years ago and has been a nervous driver ever since. I was not aware of the road issues to be honest. So we are now looking for more easy accesible villages for our holiday home. Thanks

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:14 am

In that case she really wouldn't be happy driving that road at all, no worries as there are some other really nice places and much warmer in winter. :thumbup:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 am

El Cid wrote:
casita-bonita wrote:
Cant speak for the Competa/Torrox road as we rarely use it so not as familiar with it.
Maybe you should try it and then you will realise what some of us are talking about.

Sid
I have tried it quite a few times actually and yes i agree it is very windy, but certainlt not dangerous. The reason i use it rarely is that i have very little need to drive between Torrox and Competa.
Regards

Bob

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Fri May 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Try the road from Algarobbo to Competa out from your armchair! It's not for everybody but you do get used to it (bit seasickness on the bus mind).

https://youtu.be/35zlQNpcBtU

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Here's a video of Torrox to Competa road.

https://youtu.be/7UONoMFbM5I

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Cool videos..
Regards

Bob

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm

I think one's view of it will depend on whether you loved or loathed The Waltzer at fairs of old....if I was motorcycling it would terrify me, whereas the road up from Marbella to Ronda made me want to go out and buy a Triumph. Possibly could be used as training for a bad trip up the Bay of Biscay!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 pm

The best road in the area for motorcyclists or serious car drivers is the coast road between Maro and La Herradura. It was completely resurfaced after the motorway was built. Good double height ARMCO all the way. Fabulous road loved by the weekend motorcyclists on their serious bikes and apart from hire cars in the summer, better than the Ronda road.

Actually, I quite like driving on the Torrox Competa road when it is quiet. Lovely bends and a real challenge if you like that sort of thing. But, as has been said, in the wrong conditions for a less enthusiastic driver it’s a bit of a challenge.

Each to his own.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri May 10, 2019 10:05 pm

The road between Maro and La Herradura has some serious bikers on it. Knee on the ground. Some think they are Rossi. I bet there are a good few accidents on that bit of road. I used to love the road before the motorway was built, stunning views out to sea.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm

It is supposedly one of the most dangerous stretches of road in Spain, mainly because of the bikers. It’s got better since they installed double height ARMCO as bikers were falling off and slicing themselves in half on the uprights.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 am

Took some friends over here on hols on that road to the marina yestersay. They loved it. It is so beautoful and unspoilt. A few biikers and the cafe on the canuelo beach roundabout has reopened and had several customers. Cyclists were causing more trouble. ignorantly Riding two abreast and holding up the traffic causing cars to overtake when they shouldnt have been

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 am

elusive wrote: Cyclists were causing more trouble. ignorantly Riding two abreast and holding up the traffic causing cars to overtake when they shouldnt have been
A common misconception. It was the motorists being ignorant, not the cyclists.

Article 88 of the Spanish traffic law says that when there is a solid white line, you may overtake the following vehicles, so long as their speed is low and you can overtake in a safe way. - bicycles, mopeds, pedestrians, animals and animals towing trailers.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 11, 2019 11:13 am

Common road sense and courtesy to other drivers to me says its ignorant. The law allows you to overtake but the issue is safety. As we know theres very little of that when it comes to people driving/riding here.You dont ride two abreast on a road, making it difficult and dangerous to overtake when riding single file allows cars to safely overtake you. All it does is causes tailbacks and possible accidents because car drivers become frustrated and then overtake dangerously. Basic cycling proficiency that you get taught at primary school. Most of the time they are to busy chatting to even notice the congestion they are causing behind them.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am

Up here we're lucky if thay are only 2 abreast, generally a lycra clad pack totally oblivious to the tailback they are causing. Bad enough, but also considering their complete contempt for red lights and zebra crossings. No wonder they have a bad name.

On occasion you get a boy racer flying down the mountain at such speed that i can't keep up with them in my car. Rather impressive. Different story when they get to the flat at Algorobbo though...
Regards

Bob

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Sat May 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Reference has been made to basic cycling proficiency test (UK presumably) it is in fact perfectly legal in both UK and Spain see n332 site, to cycle 2 abreast (but no more than that). In fact it is often advised for large groups as the pack is then similar and passed like another motor vehicle. However this system should only be used when safe to do so. So probably not on the roads we are talking about.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Obviously changed since i did it.Regardless of the law its about having due care and consideration for other road users. Which many drivers/riders of all sorts dont have.

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Sat May 11, 2019 5:23 pm

[quote="elusive"Regardless of the law its about having due care and consideration for other road users. Which many drivers/riders of all sorts dont have.[/quote]

Argh now that's a different issue I'm afraid. Cycling laws in both UK and Spain do give specific times that to ride 2 abreast is not suitable narrow roads and dangerous bendy roads being examples. But it does leave that to interpretation of the cyclists.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Argh now that's a different issue I'm afraid. Cycling laws in both UK and Spain do give specific times that to ride 2 abreast is not suitable narrow roads and dangerous bendy roads being examples.

---------------

Which is the type of road my original comment was about. Ie narrow bendy and dangerous. Which makes it very difficult and sometimes dangerous to overtake when they are taking up the whole lane instead of going single file
Last edited by elusive on Sat May 11, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.