Artificial Grass

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Artificial Grass

Postby country boy » Sat May 25, 2019 6:25 pm

I am hoping for firsthand experience comments about the long term use of Artificial Grass.
I am anticipating carpeting our pool deck with good quality product; I am concerned about how one maintains the area over the years.

Has anyone lived with Artificial Grass for a moderate period of time please? Real life is always best! The catalogues make it sound like apiece of cake.
Cheers
B.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Artificial Grass

Postby El Cid » Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 pm

I cannot give you long term experience, but we had our 75m2 lawn replaced with artificial grass a year ago. Maintenance is almost zero. You do still get the odd weed popping up but they just pull out as they cannot root properly.

Apart from that there will be the usual detritus getting on it. Ours is pretty bad as it is surrounded by garden and leaves etc accumulate. The people who installed it are coming in next week with a brush/vacuum to clean it and get the pile all pointing in the right direction - about €20 for that.

A lot will depend on the quality of the grass. It varies enormously. For decking and terraces they usually use a lower quality than they would use on a lawn. Its easier to install as they just stick it down. A lawn is much more complicated.

If it's just a small area around a pool, a good stiff brush and a leaf hoover will probably be adequate.

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat May 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks for that Sid, I have a leaf blower/hoover...hadn't thought of that.
It will be about 20 sq.m and placed on paving slabs which are laid on a concrete screed.
Are you pleased with yours?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Yes, we love it. So much less effort, no mowing, re-seeding and all that stuff.

For a lawn you want something that really looks like grass, but round a pool a shorter finer alternative might be best.

All the grass companies will show you loads of examples to choose what you want. Shop around as it is a very competitive market.

Since installation on paving slabs is relatively easy - just stick it down, after joining the strips, maybe do it yourself. Leroy Merlin and others have huge ranges to suit all requirements.

Price? Anything from €10 to €50 a M2 plus installation.

Sid

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Buy the longest grass available. We have either 35 or 40mm. Put it down years ago and still in perfect condition. Spray with water occasionally and rake stones and leaves out too.

The "short" grass is rubbish and falls apart.

Cadore33
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cadore33 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am

Any suggestions about how to eliminate electric shocks on artificial grass....don't know why we get them and don't know how to get rid...

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 pm

We had an artificial lawn laid on our 1st floor 80 sqm tiled roof terrace almost three years ago. First I got my installers to overpaint the existing grey caucho coating with brown caucho then the rolls were glued and taped in the usual fashion. As the rolls were not being installed over earth it was recommended that artificial silica sand infill be scattered to enhance the appearance and keep the lawn cooler but it appears there are other benefits such as reducing static (search "Should You Use a Sand Infill for Artificial Grass?). Anyway we've never been troubled by static and the lawn looks fantastic so sand infill might be worth a go if you've not already done so...

Saludos