Electricity Bills

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electricity Bills

Postby alicia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am

Hi,

My electricity bills seem to be very expensive in comparison to what friends are paying. How can I check all is correct???? Is it possible another house using our electricity or there is a fault with the meter or some other possible problem??????? Endesa werent very helpful and just shrugged their shoulder.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electricity Bills

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 am

Easy to check if someone else is using your electricity supply.
Switch off the main switch on your "fuse" board.
If the electricity meter is showing an increase in the reading then someone has tapped into your supply.
Do you have more electrical appliances and use them for longer periods than your friends have?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Gerry,

Many thanks for your reply. I'll check that out. Don´t think I´ve got more electrical appliances than average. No air con for a start. But I will double check. Many thanks again.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 am

If Endesa is your supplier then has a 'smart meter' been fitted (contador de luz con telegestión)? That might also help identify unusual useage. Take a look at your standing charges as well.

I too found myself paying over the odds compared to my local neighbours. It seems that the family we purchased the property from 15 years ago had opted for a split price package with different rates being charged according to peak or off-peak demand whch didn't work for us. Eventually I moved onto a single tariff with an online only discount Luz One(?) and that has brought the bills down.

Another factor was changing the 25 year-old fridge freezer, a twin motor Balay, as the seals were failing with an A++ rated Teka unit. Finally back to the Balay I noticed that the upper shelf of the fridge was quite warm and discovered that the interior light wasn't turning off! Sorted that out by increasing the height of the door catch to activate the light switch. As the only appliance that we run continuously that also reduced the bills.

Saludos

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Screagle,

Thanks for your comments. I will look at the standing charge. Will also check the tariff. Such a headeache. Also, your comments reference the balay fridge freezer were interesting. Will double check our appliances. Thank you once again. Everyone has been very kind with their comments.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Just check your last bill - see what the "potencia" is compared to your neibours - it might be that it was upgraded in the past and you dont "need" that much power.

Be aware that if you make any changes to the bill they will *probably* ask for a bollatin (an installation certificate) that is less than 4 years old, so if its an old house.. think carefully before doing anything. (i used to work with an electrician)

Other things to reduce the monthly bill is to upgrade / update your appliances - alot of new ones are now A++ rated - fridges, freezers, air con etc. Its an outlay, but one appliance a month and it is a little easier. a new fridge, delivered from carrefour and they take your one away is only €129 for a basic model.

I switched my dads house down a lot - i´ve installed LED bulbs all over, swapped the 120w flood lights for 10w LED ones, bought a new fridge, new washing machine, gas water heater etc.. he´s still got an electric hob, but thats gonna be the next to go. He´s surprised if he pays more than €50 a month on electric now.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:39 am

Do your Endesa bills show a graphical representation of your monthly usage over the past year? Mine has done for a while now, since smart-ish meters were installed some years back. As Spanish Lad says, look for your 'potencia' as this has a major effect on your standing charges and may be greater than you need (depending on your appliances etc but you have no AC). Endesa bills have climbed up, despite putting low-W bulbs everywhere, no longer using a washing machine (nearby laundry service) and I cook using ridiculously cost-effective bottled gas.

Endesa used to have an office in Arroyo staffed by two of the most hateful (and hate-filled) girls I have ever met. I never wish someone sacked usually, but I really hope undercover management went in and closed it down on the spot. The Fuengirola office, although everything was done in my much more limited Spanish at that time, dealt with everything quickly on the spot, whereas Arroyo literally laughed in customers faces and threatened expensive consequences if you so much as queried a bill (I was getting constantly estimated bills which were ridiculously high). Is there another branch nearby? Like any large organization, some people think they have a job for life and can act how they like. Otherwise, switching supplier is much easier than it used to be and can be done online.

EDIT: have you also read this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39287

Lots of useful ideas for your potencia. I really ought to extract a digit from an orifice; I should easily survive on a lower rating than my current one.

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:16 am

I am with Endesa and our house runs on electricity apart from gas heaters for winter. We have electric hobb, combined oven and microwave lighting and electrical water heater set to heat up twice a day fridge TVs etc, no air con. Our bills average between 38 euros and 52 euros a month through the year, only one month did it go over 50 euros. The largest part of the bill is standing charges and tax electric used rarely reaches over 20 euros. Yes you can reduce sensibly I did with LED bulbs etc but you can only reduce the standing charge by reducing potencia. I know people nearby that have lower potencia than us and pay slightly less standing charge maybe 6 euros per month less, however they have to watch what is running due to power tripping. My potencia is 5.75 very rarely does it ever trip out, so that tells me that I am on the correct potencia.

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm also with Endesa - potencia 4.93kW. I'm billed every 2 mths and it's a holiday home so when empty for a period the bill is just over 50 euros (standing charges, otros coneptos plus taxes). The last bill totalled 83 euros of which about 22 euros was usage and that includes water tank on full time - we don't have air con. Their bills are comprehensive and detail charges and usage. Only problem really is they are intermittent taking actual meter reads and used estimates for about 9 months last summer to spring this year.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:24 am

Try Energy Nordic. They are the cheapest we have found. At the risk of upsetting Sid - can you mention my name if and when you sign up with them? Graham

Si Compare

Postby Si Compare » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:04 am

Benal Pirate wrote:I'm also with Endesa - potencia 4.93kW. I'm billed every 2 mths and it's a holiday home so when empty for a period the bill is just over 50 euros (standing charges, otros coneptos plus taxes). The last bill totalled 83 euros of which about 22 euros was usage and that includes water tank on full time - we don't have air con. Their bills are comprehensive and detail charges and usage. Only problem really is they are intermittent taking actual meter reads and used estimates for about 9 months last summer to spring this year.

It looks as you are 3 phase so lowering your potencia may not be an ideal move if you have a few appliances that would all be used at the same time.
Energy Nordic charge a deposit and tie you into a full 12 month contract, so are by no means the best priced in Spain.
The meter readings will always be read no matter which supplier you use by the "distributor" so this will not change even if you were to change supply company.

I suggest you look around to find a better price. Many suppliers provide the full service in English so you have plenty of choice.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 am

Why do you think he is on 3 phase? That's not likely with only 4.93 kW It is normal for potencia over 10kw.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:47 pm

The house might be in the campo. In our area everyone is on 3 phase with a max potencia of around 5 kw. A few properies only have one phase with less than 2kw potencia.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:33 pm

Historically that could be the reason, but the problem with 3 phase is that if you have an ICP which all houses are now "required" to have is that the potencia is reduced to one third on each phase as the ICP trip is a triplre trip.

We have a 14kw 3 phase supply but the maximum we can take on any phase is less than 5kw so effectively we can never get near to taking what we are actually paying for (which is about €800 a year just for the standing charge).

Sid

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Re my eleccy usage - it's a 2 bed apt in Benalmadena Costa - it hasn't tripped in years but recall it tripping when we had more guess than it is really comfortable to host! Hairdryers were the usual culprit...and the bills are always for 2 months ...so charges before usage come to 25 euros per month.