Getting Residency

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting Residency

Postby IreneD » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Thank you Sid - and Free at Last, I'm pleased you've had no problems but I think we'll just stay as we are, I'm reassured by Sid's comments.

Happy Christmas to all the members of A.Com xx

Liam6544
Tourist

Postby Liam6544 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

How nice that I am here. Thank you, now I know where and what to look for by a residence permit :)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 pm

revereting to this thread after a while. This question really is "asking for a friend" ! A hypothetical question, if one has a Finnish passport and spends a lot of time, 6/8 months of the year in Spain and rents a property here (usually for cash) how do the authorities know how long he's been here in any given period, for example if his passport is not stamped then how do they know when he has been here, when he arrived and left etc ?

My friend doesn't particularly want to thwart the authorities but I'm of the opinion that he doesn't want to trawl through paperwork and padron, residencia etc every time he comes and goes, he has the financial capacity to get private medical care if and when he needs it so this is not an issue, what are the pitfalls and what would you do ? I do understand his view and am wondering what's the best solution for him ! thoughts and opinions please, thanks Al :-)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:57 pm

They don't, but if they suspect you of staying too long, it is up to you to prove that you have not stayed longer than permitted.

Once the UK leaves the EU, then although a visa is not required, you can only stay for 90 days in 180 days and your passport will be stamped on entry and exit. Of course this will not apply to your friend as he is an EU citizen.

Sid

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Manchesteral wrote:revereting to this thread after a while. This question really is "asking for a friend" ! A hypothetical question, if one has a Finnish passport and spends a lot of time, 6/8 months of the year in Spain and rents a property here (usually for cash) how do the authorities know how long he's been here in any given period, for example if his passport is not stamped then how do they know when he has been here, when he arrived and left etc ?

My friend doesn't particularly want to thwart the authorities but I'm of the opinion that he doesn't want to trawl through paperwork and padron, residencia etc every time he comes and goes, he has the financial capacity to get private medical care if and when he needs it so this is not an issue, what are the pitfalls and what would you do ? I do understand his view and am wondering what's the best solution for him ! thoughts and opinions please, thanks Al :-)
Well, u did ask for thoughts..........

It amuses me that Brit immigrants(expats) worry so much about their status in Spain. The only reason I became "official" after more than 10 years being "administratively illegal" in Spain was because of my living arrangements with a Spanish funcionario of the State and our wish to formalise our relationship, a bit. Otherwise, I wouldn't dream of making myself known to the authorities.

Just tell your friend, not to open a Spanish bank account and then he'll have no worries. Impossible to track his comings and goings. Let's face they can't even stop the people trafficers. Here in Canarias, there has been a regular flow of illegals, coming here by commercial plane, swapping passports and flying onto both Ireland and UK. It's been going on for years and only now, the police are detaining people, primarily due to the Irish and UK authorities telling the Spanish. Otherwise, the Spanish wouldn't have any idea what's going on. Imagine mainland Spain - so easy to come and go. Down here we have to get a plane!!

As i say....don't get a Spanish bank account...that's how they track people these days. No, using your foreign cashcard in a local atm won't be an issue.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Manchesteral wrote:revereting to this thread after a while. This question really is "asking for a friend" ! A hypothetical question, if one has a Finnish passport and spends a lot of time, 6/8 months of the year in Spain and rents a property here (usually for cash) how do the authorities know how long he's been here in any given period, for example if his passport is not stamped then how do they know when he has been here, when he arrived and left etc ?

He wouldnt be going through residencia and padron evetytime he comes and goes because given the time he spends here he should be a spanish resident and paying his taxes here anyway. and you only get residencia and sign on the padron if spain is your habitual home which considering the amount of time he spends here he will be classed as one by the tax man etc As sid says hes e.u so whether he will get caught out who knows but good luck trying to prove otherwise once hacienda go after you.

Always amazes me how some people think the law doesnt apply to them and they are above it and they can pick and chose what they want to follow.All the postives of sunny spain but dont want to contribute (other than to boost lidls wine sales) or have the hassle of following the law and doing things by the book while all the time probably fiddling the U.K system while sat reading the daily fail moaning about jonny F in the uk who actually contributes and pay their way.if the only good thing thats comes out of brexit is all the illegals who suddenly "moved" to spain in 18/19 suddenly have hacienda wanting proof they werent actually in spain for the years previous.good luck wih that.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:54 pm

He's 77 years old and FINNISH not BRITISH and probably spends around €300-400 per week plus his rental costs when he's here so contributing hugely to the economy in my opinion. He does not always stay for such lengthy periods, sometimes he might only be here for two months. He doesn't want to get embroiled in the Spanish tax system because he has relatives in Finland who, on his death would have to jump through all the hoops in order to execute his estate, it's not a big deal just general questions , thanks for the input anyway.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:34 pm

The death thing is pretty well irrelevant as he has no property in Spain and his relatives are not Spanish resident so there is no IHT to worry about.

Elusive is right, if he spends more than 6 months here he is tax resident, however there are thousands of people in his situation and most of them do not pay any tax in Spain.

It is, however, going to be MUCH more difficult for UK citizens to get away with this after Brexit.

Sid