Dogs claws.

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Dogs claws.

Postby mhic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:32 am

I've not been able to walk my dog much for about 18 months as a result her claws are getting long and need clipping, something she really hates. Sometime ago I cut through the quick on a claw and I worry that it will happen again, but try hold a big GSD's foot still when they want to leg it. I've been clipping back about a little at a time but it's a fight, and it don't help that her claws are black. Does anyone know how far and how quickly the quick recedes?

Mhic.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dogs claws.

Postby Julie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

Might be better to take her/him to the local vet, if you do make it bleed pop it in bicarb or flour to stem the flow, but the vet won't charge very much to do it for you.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:17 am

I thought of that Julie but I don't think she would take kindly to a stranger doing it unless of course she was out cold.

Mhic.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:56 am

Can you do a few practice attempts whereby you touch the claws and every time she is still reward her with a treat, to get association between claws and feet being touched and a positive reward? Then muzzle her at the vet and treat afterwards.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 am

A friend of mine is a dog groomer and she said that dogs claws only need clipping down to the bit they change colour (so cut the white ends off up to the black bit) they are the same as our nails and dont need to be cut past the colour change, hope that helps!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for all the suggestons. Dido, her claws have no colour change at all apart from one white one they are all solid black giving no clue where the blood starts.

Mhic.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:23 am

Oh unlucky, maybe this means they don't need cutting? I don't walk my dogs nearly as often as I should and their claws seem quite long to me (ouch!) but our friend says they are fine as they are?