New Amazon Fire TV Box

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
northandsouth
Resident

New Amazon Fire TV Box

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Just received my shiny new Fire TV box from the UK. I have a Smart DNS that is compatible, they have gone through the set up procedures with me and all OK until it comes to trying to use iPlayer itv hub etc and it refuses because of the account billing country, and my amazon UK bank account is registered here :cry: . so it refuses to play.
Anyone know of a solution?
I suppose one alternative might be to de-register my amazon account on it in the settings and then re-register it in a family or friends account in the UK but if anyone has another idea I'd be grateful.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Amazon Fire TV Box

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:34 pm

It is easier to do this in the Amazon.co.uk website.
Sign in, click into your account at the top right hand side of the page, in the drop down menu, click into Manage my content and devices, on the new page and again in the drop down menu near the top right hand side, click and choose settings

When the new page opens, you will see the option to change country. You need to change using a uk address but maintaining the address where goods at sent to in Spain. If you live in Spain permanently, you just keep on using the .es site as before.

To download apps onto the box, look for the apps in the Amazon.co.uk website, and download to your device from there.
This part is quite straightforward but If you have any problems, just post and I'll give a more detailed explanation on how to do it.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Thank you very much for that Mark, I have done as you said, my country for amazon.co.uk was shown as UK and the address is my parents address, that's where the fire tv box was sent to.
I won't get a chance to play with the fire tv tonight as my beloved is watching the NTA awards tonight on intelsat :yawn: so I'll try it tomorrow :thumbup:
Mark are you saying that I should download the apps individually ie iPlayer, itv hub etc etc because they are already on the Fire box aren't they?
However, in anticipation of that, if the problem is my Spanish billing address where my uk bank card is registered, then I could change the account altogether to a new one in my fathers name, (I have already primed him up) no pun intended.
Thank you again I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 pm

For some reason I can't download apps to the fire stick even though I could see them on the home page.
I downloaded all the apps via the Amazon website. If you are signed in, you will have to option to download the app directly to the device.
Don't forget Kodi can be side loaded onto it as well
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:54 pm

OK will try tomorrow when the tv is available!!

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 am

All ok now since I downloaded the apps as you said. The All 4 app seems a bit temperamental but all the rest of the apps are working fine. Thanks for the advice.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Have side loaded Kodi onto the Fire TV box which was very very easy (using one of the numerous youtube tutorials) and I have installed a few of the add ons making the box into a great tv and movie streaming device.
Brilliant bit of kit and thanks to Mark again for your help.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:25 pm

I've just had a mate around singing the praises of a Fire stick he bought last week.

It was a fully loaded (maybe dodgy??) one off Ebay...........but he reckons it's so good, especially for live sports that he's ditching his SKY subscription and save himself 65 quid a month from now on.

Are they as simple as and as good as this or just another NOW box? Is it better/easier than just streaming live sports/Football from the laptop when it's not on the TV?

Sounding too good to be true at present to me.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:51 am

Mark Wilding is far more of an expert than me on the FTV stick but my experience of the FTV box is so far very good particularly as it's an android device so can be customised and loaded with dozens of apps. The interface is smooth and a doddle to use but of course there is a bunch of Amazon stuff on there. The remote can be configured to go directly to Kodi with one tap however. The remote is Bluetooth and I have had a few glitches with it which are well known amongst FTV users although an update yesterday should have sorted that hopefully.

I particularly like using the plex app linking my movie library and iTunes library with the FTV and my hi fi.
Apparently it's 4k compatible well I haven't got a 4k TV, so can't verify that, however, the streaming quality is excellent apart from ITV player and Demand 5 which aren't so good. I'm on 300mb/s fibre.
Stuff like sky sports etc can be loaded on yourself of and yes of course you can buy sticks fully loaded on flea bay. I haven't bothered with premium sports channels although somebody said to me just yesterday that Sky sports movies etc etc are available in HD from "channel up TV" for £10.00 per month, maybe you can get them free elsewhere but I doubt if you would get them in HD for gratis.
Personally I have no knowledge of the NowTv box, I was considering one of those especially given its bargain price and after reading about it on here but then I received the FTV box as a Christmas gift. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good,