Priego de Cordoba - History

HISTORY

The first references to Priego date to the Middle Paleolithic era (40,000-33,000 BC). Much later, the Roman Empire occupied the area between the third century BC and the fifth century AD. During the period of the Caliphate of Córdoba, the settlement was known as Medina Bahiga. Priego de Córdoba was the capital of one of the Coras of the territory of Al-Ándalus whilst Muslim ruling in the Iberian Peninsula was developed in the middle of the ninth century.

During the campaigns of Emir Muhammad II in the year 863, a large number of the villagers of Priego de Córdoba intervened, playing an important role in the wars that remained between Omar ben Hafsún, Saíd ben Mastana and Banu Matruh ¸who fought for control of the Cordovan Emirate. In the year 889, the town became the centre of operations of Ibn Mastana, follower of Omar Ben Hafsún and one of the most important rebel leaders, who called himself "Señor de Priego y Luque".

When the Caliphate of Cordova disappeared, the town became part of the Zirí Kingdom of Granada, which later formed part of the Nazarí Kingdom and, in 1090, was occupied by the Almorávides. These were replaced by the Almohades in the middle of the twelfth century.

King Fernando III conquered the town in 1225, later donating it to the Order of Calatrava for protection and defense as a strategic point in the development of the Christian re-conquest. Priego de Córdoba was integrated into the Nazarí Kingdom of Granada until its definitive conquest by Alfonso XI in 1341, forming part of the House de Aguilar.

During the eighteenth century, the town became one of the most important centres of industrial silk, selling "El tafetán" and "El velpelo" in Seville, Málaga, Navarra, Portugal, France and the Indies. In 1705 the town took part in the War of Succession and defence of Gibraltar, passing in 1711 to the Duchy of Medinaceli. It was granted title of city by King Alfonso XII in 1881.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share