Huelva Province - Bollullos par del Condado

Bollulos Par del Condado

by Saskia Mier

Bollullos par del Condado is within the comarca of El Condado and its 50km² of land is east of the province of Huelva. Its name "Par del Condado", meaning to be "with", comes from its proximity to the Condado de Niebla. Bollullos par el Condado has become very popular due to its production of local wines and gastronomy. It has 13,500 inhabitants.

HISTORY

The Spanish conquest in 1253 by King Alfonso X led to a repopulation and plans to consolidate the entire area, with Niebla at the head of un-owned territory, similar to those of Cadiz and Jerez, reserving the harshest mountainous territories for military orders. However, during the following reigns, Niebla eventually fell into the hands of the Casa de Sanlúcar, later known as Casa de Niebla y de Medina Sidonia.

Long before the Guzmanes were Condes de Niebla and Duques de Medina Sidonia, they already had the dominion of Bollullos par del Condado, bought by Guzmán el Bueno, first Señor de Sanlúcar, and his wife Maria Alfonso Coronel. Half of the dominion was given when their daughter married Fernán Perez Ponce, Señor de Marchena.

During the eighteenth century, and particularly the last 25 years, Bollullos par del Condado began a remarkable period of prosperity through wine trade, especially targeted to the New World. The population increased as those from other regions and other countries started to arrive, specifically landowners with French origin began to establish vineyards growing local as well as imported vines.

In 1834, Bollullos par del Condado still remained in the hands of Casa de Medina Sidonia. Later in the twentieth century, the economy was based on working the land and vineyards.

THINGS TO SEE

Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago Apóstol
The current church was built during the Middle Ages and there is evidence in the form of texts that place it to 1361. After the 1755 earthquake, the church was seriously damaged and a few months later, the restoration works were completed. The current tower has four bells; the west (Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, 1912), the south (Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, 1838), the east (Mater Pacis, 1789) and the north (Santiago, 1946).Located Plaza Sagrado Corazón de Jesús.

Parroquia María Auxiliadora

Built as a result of devotion to María Auxiliadora, the chapel opened on 20 June 1967 and was designed by the architect, Jesús Gómez Millán. The image of María Auxiliadora stands 1.68m tall and was created by Joaquin Moreno Barba in 1967. Located Calle de Pío XII.

Capilla de Nuestro Padre Jesús

There is evidence that the existence of this Mudejar chapel dates to the eighteenth century. The floor of the entire chapel is white and grey marble, from Cártama, made by Don Francisco Jimenez Bocanegra in 1886.Inside it retains two Baroque altarpieces and several paintings dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Located on Calle Jesus.

Capilla Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia

The chapel was destroyed in 1976and a new chapel was built on 1 April 1990, by Juan Acosta Faraco. In 1993, architect Don José Manuel Ramos Olivares, designed the entrance. Inside, a statue of Christ by Rafael Medina Barbero was retouched in 1950 and later restored in 1991 by Francisco Berlangade Avila. The image of the Virgen de la Misericordia was conducted by Manuel Vergara Herrera in 1953.Located on Calle Velarde.

Ermita de Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes

The chapel dates back to the eighteenth century, although the current appearance underwent a major restoration in 1919 by the Sevillian architect, Juan de Talavera. Located off the HU-4104.

Ayuntamiento

The date of the town hall's construction is unknown, since the municipal archives were burned in 1913. The present building is declared a monument of local interest and is of Moorish style with rounded arches. Located in Plaza del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús.

Azulejo de San Antonio

In 1774, Don Antonio Luis Morón, Mayor and Diplomat of Bollullos par del Condado, built the fountain in honour of San Antonio. Framed in brick, the marble tile of San Antonio is printed with an inscription and in 1982 was declared of Cultural Interest. Located on Calle San Antonio.

Museo del Vino

The wine museum recently opened in Bollullos Par del Condado and is a unique building considered the centre of wine tourism in the province of Huelva.It is not a museum but an interpretation centre where all resources related to wine originating from Huelva are explained through an interactive virtual tour of the region.This centre is also the starting point of the Ruta del Vino del Condado (wine route), giving an insight to all the experiences that can be enjoyed in the vicinity of Doñana, like walking trails through vineyards, participate in commented tastings or dinners with flamenco shows and visiting wine cellars etc. Located on Calle San Jose.

Opening Times: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00-14:00hrs and 16:00-19:00hrs.
Price: Free Entrance
Tel: 959 41 20 46

Parque Francisco Ramos Mantis
The park was created in honour of a former mayor of Bollullos par del Condado in 1966. In its higher area, the Parroquia de María Auxiliadora was inaugurated in 1967 and from here are a series of gardens with fountains many decorated with mosaics and numerous animal figures like frogs or lions. It was inspired by a park in Mexico City. Located on Calle María Auxiliadora.

Yacimientos "El Perú"
Archaeology enthusiasts can visit the site called "El Perú", where they have found Roman and Moorish remains. In the area, remains dating to the Bronze Age have also been found.

Ruinas del Convento de Morañina
The Mozarabic convent was built with baked bricks on a hillock in Los Villares de Marchenilla, on the road from Almonte to Sanlucar de Barrameda. In 1400, the convent was founded by Enrique Perez de Guzmán y Castilla, second Conde de Niebla. In 1836, the convent passed to private hands and the building suffered progressive deterioration. Today, few elements of the old building remain and vegetation over the years has consumed its existence.

COUNTRYSIDE WALKS 

There are three routes within the area: Ruta de Pérez y Vacas, Ruta del Convento and Ruta de la Dehesa Boyal y Cruz de Romero. All these can be performed hiking, cycling or on horseback and they show human settlements dating back to the fifteenth century. In addition, these routes allow travellers to enjoy cultivation of vines, olive groves, plantations of strawberries and nectarines.

GASTRONOMY

The typical local dishes are caldereta de cordero (lamb stew), habascochas (broad beans), gazpacho, toston con sardinas (sardines and suckling pig) as well as migas. Sweets include tortal real or "resobá" and la poleá (semola). In August and September, sweets are often made with grape juice such as arrope y perrengo.

Wines from the Condado de Huelva are forever increasing in popularity and quality, such as the Condado Viejo, Condado Pálido, Generosos de Licor and Blancos. In addition vinegar, red wine and champagne are also made.

HANDICRAFTS

Local handicrafts of Bollullos par del Condado include saddlery, hats, silk and gold embroidery, wooden barrels for wine and Andalusian horse drawn carriages. 

FESTIVALS

Romería de San Sebastián
The pilgrimage is celebrated 20 January in the area of the Parque Natural San Sebastián.

Holy Week
Processions through the streets are celebrated all week as well as church mass.

Cultos de la Santa Cruz de la Calle Niebla, la Santa Cruz de la Calle Santana y la Santa Cruz de Montañina.
Celebrated in May with religious processions. 

La Velá de San Antonio y La Velá de San Juan
Celebrated for 3 days, La Velá de San Antonio around the 13 June and La Velá de San Juan around the 22 June.

Ferias y Fiestas de Vendimia
Celebrated the 12-16 September when the grape harvest has finished with many cultural and music events.

Semana de Viticultura y Enología
The first two weeks of October celebrates the whole process of producing wine and the many varieties produced today in the area.

Quema de Gamonitas, día 7 de diciembre.
An ancient tradition on the 7 December is a pagan festival where furniture, clothes or furniture with herbs such as thyme, rosemary and eucalyptus were burned to end the cholera epidemic. Today, the gamonitas (torches) are made with dried branches of asphodel, a perennial herb.

Día de la Inmaculada, día 8 de diciembre.
Celebrated on 8 December, the Santísima Virgen de las Mercedes is taken via a procession through the village to thank her for freeing the village of cholera.

LOCATION

Bollullos par del Condado is located 2km from Huelva. To getthere, take the H-31 leaving Huelva towards Seville. Continue on and take Exit 48, onto the A-493, arriving at Bollullos par del Condado. 

Search Hotels near Bollullos par del Condado



calendar
Show only available hotels

Hover the cursor over Bollullos par de Condado to see bigger map and click to go to the maps page.

Related Pages

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share