Matriculation.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Matriculation.

Postby mhic » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:46 pm

I have had residencia since Feb 2003 I have a Spanish licence and a legal Spanish registered car. In December 2005 I bought an old motorcycle in England had it brought to Spain and spent several months re-building it, it was a non-runner. Ran into a mechanical problem I could not solve so had it taken to a repair shop, this was last September, I supplied all the new parts as necessary and the bike is now running and sounding pretty good too.

The chap in the workshop said that he could get the bike through the ITV and registered here in Spain, which I am keen to get done, but for the ITV it needed a new silencer and a few other little bit’s. He gave me a price for the whole thing, repairs parts and matriculation.
I called in today to see how things were going and was told by whoever he has passed the registration process onto that I need to get a document from the consul in Malaga stating that I have just moved to Spain and the bike is part of my goods and chattels or it will cost me €1600. I’m not prepared to lie to anyone and I didn’t pay that much for the bike in the first place.
Now I don’t know if somewhere there has been a problem with communication / translation or if someone is taking the micky. I do know I was quoted €600.00 from start to finish by someone I know and that included the engineers report and new number plates. At the moment I am thinking of trying to get the bike registered myself or maybe getting it back to the UK and selling it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Mhic.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:50 pm

First off you have my sympathy.

I am not an expert on the subject but here is my take on your situation. Firstly a fact. You can import a foreign vehicle when you become resident. Normally this will be when you are applying for residencia. This allows you to avoid paying certain "Normal" in Spain taxes. The vehicle has to have been yours in your name for a certain minimum period ( I think it is six months). The reference to the consul is for a sworn document that you took up permanent residence from a certain very recent date date here in Spain. That doesn't apply to you.

The 1600euros sounds to me as though it is made up of gestors fees, number plates and tax for transferring a vehicle into your name (as though you bought it from someone else). The tax man has a list of vehicle values year on year and the tax is a percentage of that. Part is paid to the Spanish government and part to the local Andalucian government. This helps explain why your average Spaniard hangs onto their vehicle for years unlike in Britain. I would be very surprised if your old bike has a value sufficiently high on their tables to give you a big component of the 1600 quoted. My guess is it would have to be worth (on their high residuals) about 10000 euros or more to make up the difference. Maybe it is if it is a Harley or the like.

Your next step is to get a breakdown from whoever he has passed it onto. Then go to the tax office and ask how much the bike is worth and how much tax you would pay if you were to "buy it". I found the tax office to be very helpful.

Then assuming the figures are about right , either pay (easiest way by far) or have a go yourself -cheaper but will cost you dear in time and emotions.

You could just sell it back in the UK and then buy a similar Spanish bike but you will still have to pay handsomely to have it put into your name. It depends on how attached you are to it.

olive

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:03 am

Hi
To register your bike in Spain you need (amongst others) a piece of paper that says you live here (volante de empadronamiento) and a piece of paper saying that you DO NOT live in England (Baja de Residencia). Therefore most people "lie" to avoid import duty.
Import duty is on the age of the bike and reduces each year old until 14 years old. I suggest someone is ripping you off
Dave

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Mhic, is this the 700?
The import duty is an EU duty, so would have been paid when the bike was imported, and having been paid the bike is now in free circulation within the EU.
It must be a registration tax, but it could also be because of the american origin of the bike, which then does not conform to EU legislation.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:09 am

Morning.

Thanks for the advice and comments, still not sure what I will do but I have asked for the bike to be returned to me. Still not sure either if it's a language problem or an attempt to earn a few bob extra but I have to say I don't think it's the bike shop at the bottom of it.

Olive. I've put a lot of work into rebuilding and getting the bike running
again and I am attached to it but not €1600.00 worth of attached so I may well cut my losses and ship her back to the UK.

DFX. I have an empadronamiento but have never been asked for it anywhere and it's probably out of date now anyway, can't say I've heard of a baja de residencia. The bike dates from 1985, I've been told the tax shouldn't be much more than a couple of hundred euros.

Colm. Yes it's the 700 and it could well have something to do with it being of US origin but I doubt it. Great result Saturday.

Mhic.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:56 pm

mhic wrote: Great result Saturday.
Mhic.
oooooh yes! and a fantastic atmosphere!

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:52 am

mhic wrote:Morning.

Thanks for the advice and comments, still not sure what I will do but I have asked for the bike to be returned to me. Still not sure either if it's a language problem or an attempt to earn a few bob extra but I have to say I don't think it's the bike shop at the bottom of it.

Olive. I've put a lot of work into rebuilding and getting the bike running
again and I am attached to it but not €1600.00 worth of attached so I may well cut my losses and ship her back to the UK.

DFX. I have an empadronamiento but have never been asked for it anywhere and it's probably out of date now anyway, can't say I've heard of a baja de residencia. The bike dates from 1985, I've been told the tax shouldn't be much more than a couple of hundred euros.

Colm. Yes it's the 700 and it could well have something to do with it being of US origin but I doubt it. Great result Saturday.

Mhic.
Mhic - my buddy has just had his Harley (2005 anniversary special) registered to Spanish plates and the whole thing including tax, Gestor, Plates and ITV was €1200. His bike has a high value but I think its about 4% of this value that has to be paid in tax (around €750).

€1600 sounds like they are doing some particular work to get it sorted. The only additional work that may be required 'if' its American should be highlighted during the ITV. e.g. my buddy had his tyres condemned (brand new really - just 2,500 miles on them and factory fitted) because they have a different speed rating to what the ITV guys says should be on the bike! He eventually allowed them but took some pursuading that his Harley Specs book was out of date!

The Gestor took him to the ITV place and through the process personally too.
Kahuna
=======

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi Kahuna.
I've heard the same sort of thing from a German biker I met the other day. I still don't know why I have been quoted such a lot and asking around the bike shop seem's to have a good reputation, the only bad thing I have heard is that they are slow and I can vouch for that. I have asked them to return the bike, just have to wait now.

Mhic.