Purchasing an Annuity in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
onlinelee
Tourist

Purchasing an Annuity in Spain

Postby onlinelee » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 am

Hi friends,

I am a retired new tax resident in Spain considering purchasing an annuity purely for the tax benefits it provides.

My question is... Are UK purchased annuities generally accepted? Thanx

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Purchasing an Annuity in Spain

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:30 pm

I think you'll find that the income from your annuity (not the capital) will be taxed to some degree,maybe paddy pumpkin has some opinions about this ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes the whole monthly payment is taxed but depending on the age you were when income started, you get a huge allowance of up to about 75% of the payment.

Sid

onlinelee
Tourist

Postby onlinelee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am

Super, thanks.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 am

onlinelee wrote:Hi friends,

I am a retired new tax resident in Spain considering purchasing an annuity purely for the tax benefits it provides.

My question is... Are UK purchased annuities generally accepted? Thanx
No problem on where the purchased annuity income is coming from, and annuities are an absolute winner tax wise. If you can hold out on the annuity vesting until after you are 70 then only 8% of the income is taxable. That 8% of income in taxed at investment income rates...so max 23%.

So you would pay 23% of 8%...I.e. 2% tax.

My only concern is Brexit and how non EU pensions are treated...for example if you contribute to a non EU pension now...that contribution is not tax deductible. UK pensions may become the same, and I am just not sure how that will all pan out.

You also have currency risk, which goes against everything an annuity should be....I.e long term secured income, with currency risk you have no certainty about what the income will be.

I would look at getting an annuity denominated in EUR and based within the EU. I would also split the purchase across several annuities to spread risk. I would avoid Spain and look at Malta and Luxembourg instead.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:18 pm

That's a nice tax saving, but with annuity rates where they are in 2019, I'd consider other options too.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:25 pm

A friend asked for some tax help and the obvious thing for her to do is buy an annuity. We tried a few IFAs in Spain and none were forthcoming.

Has anyone actually managed to find an annuity provider who can sell a temporary annuity that can be purchased with a UK SIPP?