Winter enclosure for verandah?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
rafiki
Resident

Winter enclosure for verandah?

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:19 pm

Our side patio has a covered section we refer to as the veranda. It is about 4.5m wide by 3.5m deep and about 2.5m high at the front end. The sides are solid brick walls with UPVC double doors on one side and the roof is a metal frame covered with corrugated sheets.

This area is accessed from our living room via the double doors and we live in there the whole summer. It's a very useful area and we want to make it more useful in winter.

We would like to be able to close in the front when it gets cold but still have plenty of light and a door to access the rest of the patio. We aren't keen on any sort of canvas with plastic windows because we want it to be a room not a tent.I guess that slot-in UPVC panels or perhaps similar but 'concertina-ing' to each side are the only options, the latter not really favourite because of the space it would take up pushed to the side in summer.

Has anyone else done this sort of thing? I would be interested in other ideas and names and addresses of suppliers if poss please.
Brian.

MiriamO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MiriamO » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:39 pm

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Cristales para terrazas sin marcos..these are glass curtains with no frame that can be folded to one side and dont take up much room...but they are not cheap.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:36 am

MiriamO wrote:Have you looked at this?

http://www.andalucia.com/property/patio-enclosures.htm
I hadn't seen that. Thanks.
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:40 am

silver wrote:Cristales para terrazas sin marcos..these are glass curtains with no frame that can be folded to one side and dont take up much room...but they are not cheap.
That system seems to fulfil most of the criteria. I have found several refs. on Google, one supplier in Sevilla so I'll be following this up.

Much appreciated.
Brian.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:33 am

Rafiki,

Make sure you get a reputable supplier/fitter (with references).............because, if they don't work properly they can be a nightmare!!

Gus

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks for that Gus. In that case can someone recommend a supplier/installer in Sevilla province please?
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:20 am

We contacted Lumon Cristales España and they have replied that our nearest distributor is:

Glass Alcor S.L.
C/Carmen, 6
21860 Villalba Del Alcor
Huelva

That's not very far from us. Anyone had any dealings with them? Any good?
Brian.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:57 pm

As a matter of personal interest if I was to enlose my terrace with sliding glass double glazing, do I need any form of planning permission?, I know how difficult the spanish authorites can be about buliding regs!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Good point. I would like to be reassured on that too. Anyone have any experience of this?
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:14 am

Solysombra wrote:As a matter of personal interest if I was to enlose my terrace with sliding glass double glazing, do I need any form of planning permission?, I know how difficult the spanish authorites can be about buliding regs!
Yes you do. Glassing in a terrace increases the habitable area of the property and does require planning permission.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:13 am

Hi Sid. Would that apply if the part of the terrace to be glassed in is already roofed and bounded by walls on three sides do you think? Atm it looks like this:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=33020734&noresize=1
Brian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:11 am

At the moment it is a covered terrace. Putting a wall in would make it a room which would need permission.

If you had completely sliding windows then maybe it would not matter. The only way to find out is ask the planning department at the town hall.

Of course you could just go ahead anyway like most people would. :)

Sid

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:44 am

MiriamO wrote:Have you looked at this?

http://www.andalucia.com/property/patio-enclosures.htm
I followed this thread: it gives a good description but I didn't seem to find any supplier/pictures. Even the links on the left only brought me back to where I started! Anybody got any other links to "glass curtains" they can share?