Forum down

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
andalucia
Site Admin

Forum down

Postby andalucia » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi there,

Apologies that the forum was down this afternoon. The main website was also down for an hour. For those technically minded or interested "It was being hit by a large spike in traffic". The server support found that 'MySQL was full off locked queries from the traffic'. It was later noticed that the forum was down as well. The session table of the forum database - 'phpbb_sessions' was marked as crashed needed to be repaired. When this was repaired with a SQL command, the forum started working again.

The good news is that a brand new server environment was ordered last week and in about a months time the website and forum will be migrated and at the same time upgraded to the latest version of the phpBB software. This is timely as the phpBB team announced a few days ago a new release of their form software version 3.3 called Proteus.

"Today is a big day for the entire phpBB community and we hope that you're as excited as we are! With the help of over one hundred volunteers, we have improved and extended phpBB to provide the new and improved phpBB 3.3 Proteus. The new phpBB 3.3 Proteus builds upon 3.2 Rhea and is a big step towards a more modern base while maintaining a clear update path. It is now shipped with Symfony 3.4, Twig 2, and jQuery 3.4. The improvements include, among others, support for Invisible reCAPTCHA, Argon2i and Argon2id password hashing, improved reset password functionality, and minor changes to the UI." https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2534541

Hopefully this will mean fixes of some of the little bugs that have been annoying forum users and some new features as well.

We will let you know more nearer the time. The forum might be down for a few days during the migration.

With best regards,
Forum Admin.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Forum down

Postby olive » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Fingers crossed it is an improvement. Sadly my experience with the likes of Microsoft, Skype, Whats up and hotmail just to name a few is improvement actually means integration for the provider and loss of usability for the user. I for one still think the pm facility is cumbersome despite admins explaining it compared with say Simple Machines Forum technology.

I am a glass half full type so lets see. Well done getting the forum working again, Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 pm

it was down most of the day

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:02 pm

I updated my own forum on 6th January and the file upload took a bit longer than expected. It does work very well. Once the new files are uploaded, the software just prompts Database Update.
It can be done in an hour or so. (Upload speed permitting!)
Good luck.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi there,

In advance of the changes mentioned before. We are moving over today to https secure delivery of forum pages. Hopefully it will not cause issues.

Forum Admin

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Thanks admin for the heads up.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi,
I'm finding that I get a 404 error..........workaround is to clear the andalucia.com cookie..........until next time I access the site.
I'[m using Firefox 72.0.2 (x64)

########## Added: Looks like it was a glitch late afternoon as all is good now. ############
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am

That will be because background work being completed by tech guys.