Climbing Maroma

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Grouser
Resident

Climbing Maroma

Postby Grouser » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:27 pm

I have been up Maroma on the old Iceman's path from Canillas de Acietuno.
I would like to go up again in spring with friends, but by a different and preferably shorter route, as we were absolutely knackered by the Canillas walk. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of other ways to the top and info about distance, time and difficulty. Thanks
Grouser

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 am

Not a lot of Axarquian walkers out there then, apart from the ones I already know? Sorry just brought it up to the top for another go.
Grouser

Juanmi
Tourist

Postby Juanmi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:27 pm

You can go up by Alcaucín. Is possible park the car on the camping zone "El Alcazar" but the route is 6 or 7 hours. I know it´s also possible by El Robledal in Granada but I´ve never done this way.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:57 am

The Robledal route is referred to as the "easy" and prettiest route by Charles Davis in Walk the Axarquia.
I'd love to know how you get on as I haven't been there either.

We need more walking info on this board. I'm concentrating on everything around the edge of the Guadalhorce Valley and am happy to advise on routes, having managed to get my walking buddies lost on several ridges and peaks.
My current project is to get up Sierra Prieta, which is the double peaked mountain to the NW of Coin. I want to attempt it from Yunquera. Although I have some instructions in an old book, I don't know the exact point to leave the main road. Ascents from El Burgo, Casarabonela and Alozaina should also be possible. Can anyone advise?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks for that. I had looked at the Robedal route on the map after Gavilan had mentioned it to me and it certainly looks as though it could be shorter. My slight reservation had been that it appears to wind up through some steep craggy looking terrain towards the end where it gets up to the ridge. However time and weather permitting I will check this out when we are next over and report back.
Grouser

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:50 pm

Grouser, We'll accompany you to base camp one if our visits coincide!

Kenny

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd like to get in on this walking lark... done a little bit in North Yorkshire years ago.

But would like to have a crack at walking in Spain.

How about a A.com walk?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 pm

There's a guide available from tourist offices (Guia de Senderismos) detailing walks on the Western CDS (only in Spanish) but the maps are crap and don't even give particularly good information on how to find the start points.
Worse than that; after years living in the concrete jungle wondering what's up there, today I ventured up one of the "mountains" behind Torremolinos, intending to follow the path that starts in the woods behind the Aquapark. Trouble is, there are loads of goat trails, but the proper path is very poorly marked. You pretty much have to guess at it.
Anybody else experienced these "paths"?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 am

Yes paths can be very variable. Even the way marked ones are often not maintained. A path I walk regularly has two landslips on it that have been there since heavy rain four years ago.
Grouser

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:33 pm

here are the details:

http://www.pasoslargos.com/grupoextremo ... al2008.htm

this site is pretty comprehensive

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Nice find, Super, very nice. Think I'll pull out my old Pivettas for that one. Thanks.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks for that link Superplonk. If only my Spanish was up to understanding it. Will get the wife to turn her beady eye upon it.
Grouser