Fuerteventura

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Fuerteventura

Postby Superplonk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:48 am

I feel the need to visit Fuerteventura some time this year. I assume that it's like a bigger, flatter version of Lanzarote with better beaches. Has anyone got any recommendations for places to go/avoid/stay? I'm not into built up areas.
BTW I notice that flying via Madrid is far, far cheaper than going from Malaga.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:30 pm

We've been twice, both times we stayed just outside Corelejo, which is a charming fishing village with quite a bit of new development around it but some good eateries and a nice atmosphere. Beaches as far as the eye can see, but very windy!! The place really is just a pile of cinders sticking up out of the Atlantic, but it is quiet. The Germans have taken over the southern end of the island with practically now a Colony. No feelings of wanting to go there again but glad we went and we did enjoy it...but it is windy (again). :lol:

andygwen04
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andygwen04 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:58 pm

We spent 4 weeks there in Jan this year. I had been there 3 years previous and noticed a lot of new developments on the outskirts of Corralejo. The island is ideal for anyone that hates hills as the majority is fairly flat. Car hire is competitive but after 3 days we had been around the complete island and the rest of the weeks hire was wasted. Prices for food are expensive in comparison to here in Spain so cheaper to eat out.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 pm

In a nutshell, give it a miss, it's a big block of volcanic rock with a lot of wind, my advice go to La Palma (an island to the northwest of Tenerife) a very nice place to be.
Ah! the full english!!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:14 pm

I went there five years ago and found the island dirty, we wetn mainly to do some diving, but I found the place uninspiring, cannot remember the place we stayed at but was south of the airport, intstantly forgettable.

Re retro Petes reply, you did ask for views and he and I are giving them.
I actually thought Lanzarote was nicer, never thought I would, but was cleaner with far less rubbish thrown around.

Each to their own. :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:14 pm

I haven't been to all the Canary Islands..two was enough. Overated
sh* te holes.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 am

-sorry-i have had to edit some of this post..i was drivveling on about fuengirola and its fuerteventura... :oops:
I have been to tenerife-full of drag queens nightlife and english fry ups-and i was 18 at the time...wouldnt go back... :cry:
Last edited by princess peach on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 pm

We went to fuerteventura for a week last november. 80 degrees and no wind. stayed at calete de fuste 15 mins south of the airport. purpose built resort. preferred corralejo because it has an old village at its heart. we too hired a car but on covering the island, there wasn't anything dramatic to see. would go again if only for a warm winter break
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 pm

We have been to both. I preferred Lanzarote. stayed at Playa Blanco but that was in 2001. I have been told it is a lot more built up now.
Food was expensive at both, but lots of nice eating out places for decent money.
We went January both time and found it very chilly in the evenings. At least as chilly as here, but days were lovely both times.I enjoyed the volcanic scenery in Lanzarote the most.

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Agree with all the comments above, have been there twice and only to get some sunshine during the UK winter. Nothing to write home about and very windy.

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:41 pm

If you love the beach, go to Fuerteventura. It has the best beaches in Spain, just like the Caribbean but without palm trees.

There is not much else to do, we just enjoy beaches and visited the different ones aroung the island: Cofete, Cotillo, Corralejo, ....

We have travelled twice mid august and stayed both times in the south, we found mixed nationalities, and nowhere near the summer crowds on the costa.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Superplonk - who flies direct from Malaga to Fuerteventura as every scheduled airline I have looked at seems to only go via Madrid? I see that Easyjet now fly Madrid-Fuerteventura and they seem very cheap.

I fancy going back but I expect it has changed beyond recognition since we were there in Dec 1994. We stayed in Caleta de Fuste and it was our first 'winter sun' holiday. I'd had a very stressful few weeks in the November and it was bliss to just chill out and do nothing much for a week - the beaches are incredible, as Ama says.

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:26 pm

There are direct Málaga-Fuerteventura flights July to September on Saturdays with Air Europa. Package holidays including these flights are with Travelplan / Halcón Viajes.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:15 pm

I want to go in December, so maybe there's no package holidays/direct flights then? Not sure that the Spanish are big on 'winter sun' holidays, they seem to like to travel en-masse in August?