Now we are old fogeys

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Now we are old fogeys

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 am

It's all flat caps, incontinence pads and aching joints now, so we thought we'd take one of those coach trips from uk to the Costa Brava which involves an overnight in France and 7 nights based in a cheap and cheerful resort. Day trips include Monserat, Girona, Tossa, Barcelona and Playa D'Aro.
It's pretty cheap. It will be sometime in the winter and I realise it may be a bit chilly there, but we have our Damart thermals.

Anyone done this?

If so, what was it like

ValL
Resident

Re: Now we are old fogeys

Postby ValL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am

No and dont do it ! :)

I have never been one and never heard anyone praising the coach trip, overnight travel to destinations then full days programme, coaches breaking down, unorganised/re organised trips or events changed from orginal itinary. Grumpy drivers/fellow travellers, second rate accomodation and food. Some hotels in middle of nowhere with nothing to do if you want to opt out of 'plan'

All in all convinced me I am right not to consider it, add all that sitting/getting on and off and generally being herded, sharing a loo on coach, the restrictions of time in places and the fact many fellow travellers won't be on time so much time wasted. Naw I like to do what I want to do when I want to. I would rather put my money to a stay in hotel and explore the area in my time.

It simply is not for me, as you can probably tell :D if you go I hope it is nothing like how I have described and that you have a great time.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Someone I used to work with once went on one of those holidays, because her husband flatly refused to fly. She said the journey was horrendous and very uncomfortable - not very good for the aching joints, I wouldn't think!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm

We did a tour of the old East Germany in the 80s. Air-conditioned bus, excellent food, friendly staff.
We "did" East Berlin, Erfurt, Leipzig, Dresden and a boat trip down the Spreewald. A trip to Buchenwald concentration camp was included.

We liked the tour so much we did it the following year.

A fun-filled holiday (apart from Buchenwald)
Dave

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Never done it,but I think if it's with a reputable company and a modern well equipped coach then have a go.
My brother and wife ,prob same age as rick,did a Shearings coach holiday from London to Scotland and said it was excellent.
And my brother is the most critical person ever.
Apart from maybe Julian (bless his cotton socks) :o

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies

We've done two in the UK allready. One was to a Warners near Great Yarmouth which we enjoyed. We visited Norwich, Southwold and the north coast. I saw an interesting road sign. It said "Harwich for The Continent". Some wag had written underneath... "Felixstowe for the incontinent". Did we laugh.... The other was to Folkstone . We visited Rye, Canterbury, and even had a day trip to Brugge. I leant an interesting fact.... Zeebrugge means "Brugge on Sea" as ships used to be able to sail from the coast right up to the city.

We've booked another to Yorkshire. I think we are flying. I'll see if I can post a clip of the airline

Happy days

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Not a coach holiday, but we have a friend that likes coach travel that much, whenever she wants to go back to Britain, from southern Spain, she always goes by coach. :crazy:
Each to their own! :silent:

gretch

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 am

Whilst parked in a motorway service area in northern Spain I once saw a coach driver dishing out "lunch" to his passengers on one of these cheap and cheerful trips to the Costa Brava.
It consisted of ...................................

A pot noodle and a panda pop :lolno: :roll:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:01 am

My Mum does coach holidays because she enjoys them, she went on a similar tour and really enjoyed it.
Horses for courses :thumbup:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:01 am

Rick,
I've never personally experienced the continental coach trips, but of course travelled by road all over Europe in my own car and have witnessed many coaches in the service areas.
Most of the long distance coaches seem to be very luxurious and well equipped, however I don't think I could sit still for that long, I always stop regularly when driving in my own vehicle.
The other day I was behind a Belgian registered coach, obviously on it's way to Morocco, it had about 40 old bikes fastened on the roof, and the 40 odd passengers were packed in like sardines with boxes cases and bags everywhere, I'm surprised they drive all that way and don't seem to get stopped for overloading.
Anyway if you do attempt the journey I'm sure everyone will be interested to hear your report of it...written of course in your usual humorous and colourful style... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon.
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:50 am

Maybe the coach obviously on the way to Morocco was being ignored so the police could stop all the illegal vehicles owned and driven by the British expats!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 pm

I wish, quebin, I wish...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks again

Gordon.... one of the good things is that you can get up and walk around a bit. I do this on flights, spending a lot of the time on my feet.

Last long haul flight I did, I found a bit of space by the toilets and hung around there chatting to various people (why change the habit of a life time). After a few hours the fella who had unfortunately been allocated a seat next to that area said..... "Oi mate, I've heard your life story so many times now, can you go and stand somewhere else, I'm trying to get some kip"

Happy days

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 am

When my flight was cancelled twice back to Spain due to the Icelandic volcano I decided to get a coach from Santander to Seville. Not a coach holiday I know, but I really enjoyed the journey. The coach trip was really enjoyable, we had a few rest stops. It took all day, around 12 hours, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing different towns, especially Rienosa, which is always, it seems, the coldest place on the weather forecast!! I would quite happily do the trip again. :D

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 pm

We stayed in Rienosa one night as our ferry came in very late and we couldn't get much further.

I think we must have missed the best bit.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:36 pm

We're back from our trip to Yorkshire.
We didn't fly, we drove.
It was great. We stayed near Harrogate and visited the local town Knaresborough which was sweet.
Brodworth Hall near Doncaster which was fab
Mallam Cove in the Dales was awesome

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Yorkshire has a lot to offer, some really nice places to visit :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Rick,
Where did you stay in Rienosa :?:
Came through there the other week, Brittany Ferries are on a late schedule so docking at 18:00hrs in Santander, ours was even later.
Stopped at the Service area (for fuel) on the southern side of Rienosa, but very windy so pressed on to Burgos. Used the old route through Burgos as it was late , a lot quicker than the bypass this time.
For those doing the drive back for Christmas.............
Lane switching on the A-1 Madrid to Burgos as they are still doing major rebuilds of the carriageway.
On the A-4 south of Madrid, bridge and exit lane work.
They have started to use sections of the new viaducts in the "Bad lands" (Despeñaperros) just north of
La Carolina., we followed a Wind farm turbine blade through this section ,the lorry train moving quite fast considering its length.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:48 am

Can't remember Enrique. It was years ago

Some dive in the centre of town. I think there was snow on thre ground

The ferry had arrived late, and when we got to Reinosa it was about 2100 and we just went to the first place we saw. We had driven over some mountains, and being tired, I lost concentration at a T junction and pulled out across the path of a juganaught. He missed us by inches. I occasionaly wake in the middle of the night sweating about that. Two seconds later and we would have surely been toast.
We had a commitment in Madrid, originaly for the morning we were still in Reinosa, but luckily that had been put back a day prior to leaving uk, so we were able to make it.

Happy days

BTW it's the end of an era... When we were at our holiday home, most afternoons we would go and sit on the roof terrace of our friends who lived there permanently, and have a glass or two.
Now the lady has died. Christ knows what the husband will do now.