coming to spain never been before

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
maggie23
Tourist

coming to spain never been before

Postby maggie23 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Hello.

I am a single retired lady thinking of Spain for the with terms in 2015. I am looking at spending mid Jan to end of March. I am looking g for a nice place to call home base. I don't want city life but a place that is safe has lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Any recommendations. I would like to meet people in order to make friends as I am alone. Thank you.

Maggie from Canada :|
:
Maggie

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: coming to spain never been before

Postby Julie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Sorry I can't help you, but sure someone will beable to :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:34 am

I would say head for the south coast somewhere west of Malaga. There is plenty of public transport, the weather is usually kinder during the winter months than elsewhere. Plus there will be lots of English speaking locals & tourists to speak to. And a bar on virtually every corner. Take the usual precautions that you would on any holiday and it's prety safe.:thumbup:

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:38 am

The towns of San Pedro de Alcantara or Estepona. Good public transpot, lots of rental properties and no major language problems.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:37 am

Malaga City

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 am

The Bournemouth of the Costa, Nerja.

launa
Tourist

Postby launa » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Maggie,
I would chose a smaller village to stay. We just had a german couple living for one month in our holiday rental in Bubion and they loved it. Capileira and Pampaneira two other villages are within walking distance and the surroundings are marvellous. There are enough bars and restaurants to chose from. There are some foreigners living here, but not too much. The people of the village will know you very soon and allthough they don't speak english, you will feel very soon at home.
The only thing is that the climate mid-january might be still pretty cold at 1300m and if you have a car it is much easier to get around.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:56 am

La Herradura, Costa Tropical, with it's horse shoe bay beauty, kind climate, compact, better prices than Nerja and lovely, friendly people :thumbup:
Sandramay

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:03 am

San Ped or Estepona would be ideal. Estepona has more charachter and a harbour. You could get buses along the coast either way for day trip to places like Gibraltar, Marbella, Torremolinos, Malaga or inland to Ronda (you can take the scenic train), or some of the wite villages. Or you could could make longer trips with an overnight stay to Granada, Seville, Cadiz, and Cordoba. There's another forum called . which might be helpful.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 am

The name of the other forum has been zapped so I'll send it you in a pm.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:30 pm

RichardCoeurdeLion wrote:The name of the other forum has been zapped so I'll send it you in a pm.
Hey Richard, will you pm me as well. I cant believe that a mod deleted info that would be of help to someone. :crazy:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:21 pm

None of the info' is helpful because all the posts have just said come to where I live :think:

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Maggie

I can not recommend any locations in Spain. It is all your own decision based on personal choice.Maybe you will love one area and totally hate another.Here is a List of Clubs along the coast which might be helpful when you make your choice. You may have to make a certain location a temporary base from where you can explore certain areas around the surrounding countryside to see which could be suitable for you to settle down in. There is such a variety of cultures in all the different autonomous Regions of present day Spain. Another useful website.

http://www.surinenglish.com/services/clubs/

http://www.spainmadesimple.com/moving-t ... -to-spain/

Good Luck on your search.

Regards

Nigel

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:36 am

katy wrote:None of the info' is helpful because all the posts have just said come to where I live :think:
Have another read of post 3 and then look at my location. I live nowhere near my suggestion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:56 am

If people like the area they are living in why is it not helpful to recommend that place,certainly more helpful than recommending a place you don't know.Maybe you do not like the area you are living in, in which case simply do not recommend it.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Maggie

Do you know about tripadvisor?

You can go to tripadvisortravelforum for the whole of Spain of more specific areas.

you ask a question and within minutes you get a reply

maggie23
Tourist

Postby maggie23 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks for your help. I will pick up lonely planet book and brochures and research. I may try a few places before I decide but I like a smaller place but not a village inland as I don't have a car. I definately would like Costa del sol are but prefer places that are more Irish English or Scottish expats. I do speak Spanish so that is not a problem with the locals. Any other suggestions are most helpful.
Maggie

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Puerto de la Duquesa is a small port with nearby Spanish villages on the coast. All accessible via public transport.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I would have thought that any of the towns or urbanisations from Malaga down to Marbella would be suitable.
This is little Britain after all,so there are plenty of bars and shops and the transport links are relatively ok.
If you want the Spanish experience and don't want easy public transport then head for the hills!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

If you are a gregarious person I'd avoid renting on a tourist urbanaisation. Even though some of them have a few all year residents, many (like Villacana, Playa de la Cancelada where we owned) are ghost towns in the winter.