Car Parking in Granada ?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
tigersteve
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car Parking in Granada ?

Postby tigersteve » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm

We are off to Granada tomorrow for a couple of days,booked air b and b near the tourist office . I know there is no driving in town but does anyone have a recommendation for cheapest/easiest option ? Thanks :thumbup:
Sold up and now spending the kids inheritance wisely on travel,good food and wine - life's too short not to !

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Parking in Granada ?

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I went with some friends a few years ago, and they parked at the Alhambra & got a little local bus into town. I think there are several circular routes around the town - I'm sure someone with more up to date & local knowledge wil be along soon....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi there are several(4 or 5) tourist offices in Granada. Assuming it is the one near the city centre then you are right to not want to take your car into the city. It used to be a pleasure driving there but successive "improvements" - bus lanes,no private cars roads, cameras to give you a ticket for being in the wrong lane, limited on street parking, one way roads, installation of an as yet none working tram system means for me it is hell.

Now the good news. There are loads of car parks which are as you would expect quite pricey. Some even throw in a free car wash could try Geysepark - Parking Granada Violón Paseo del Violón
18006 Granada. As a bonus you get to see some old Roman walls that are left exposed on the lower level. Dead easy to find . Come down the A92 , pick up the ring road south and exit at 132km. Watch out for bus/taxi lanes for the last 400 metres (I think). That changed just a few weeks ago.

Alternatively you can peel off to your right and take your chances with on street parking for free.

Buses. These are excellent and most have a circular route. The tourist office will give you a heads up on the numbers. For example you can take a bus from the main street of calle Gran Via de Colon up to the outskirts of the Albaicin and then walk down through that old quarter back to the level. Nice views of the Alhambra from there at sunset. Very reasonably priced and they just buzz around all day.

PS have a good time and watch out for bag/pick pockets. They are very good in all major cities that have unsuspecting loaded tourists. :lol: .

tigersteve
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tigersteve » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks for your help !
Sold up and now spending the kids inheritance wisely on travel,good food and wine - life's too short not to !

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 pm

I find this site very helpful in finding places to park in places I'm not too familiar with. Just enter the city you require and then click on the red boxes to get further information on number of spaces, prices and opening hours etc.
Hope it is of use to someone. :thumbup:

http://en.parkopedia.es/parking/granada/

tigersteve
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tigersteve » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Just got back , (staying near to Colmares), had a great time in Granada!
We parked at the bus station for free,got the bus into town, very easy.No problem with the car when we returned after 48+ hours .
We sort of looked down our nose a bit at the tourist road train that circulates the city but bought a ticket €8 each which enabled us to get a good overview of all parts of the city which we probably would not have seen in a short stay, they have a running commentary which you can choose to listen to , take your own headphones or buy a throwaway set for €1 . It is hop on and off all day long and naturally stops at the Alhambra Palace , which would have been a very long steep walk ! After our afternoon there we hopped on again to stop number 5 up on the other side of the city where you get the best view of the Palace at dusk with the Sierra Nevada's complete with snow !
All in all a great trip,including the 3 Kings parade ,topped with a drive up to 2,500 metres in the snow before driving back- highly recommended, for those who haven't yet been ....