Catalonia to Andalusia costs to buy and sell

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
upagumtree

Catalonia to Andalusia costs to buy and sell

Postby upagumtree » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi there
I have a lovely apartment just outside Roses in Catalonia, but it is lying idle because of accessibility (my car died/apartment on a hill/I don't drive a manual etc). I lived in it for two years when I had the car and all was fine, apart from the winter cold. Now I live in Ireland and summers are fine here, but I dream of a winter getaway in the South of Spain, so have more or less settled on La Herradura, where I have seen a very suitable apartment, or maybe Almunecar. Quiet winters don't bother me - I am very happy pottering around, bussing to the next town for entertainment etc. I have friends in Nerja, but not looking to buy there. The thing is, there is something that grates on me about subtracting 10% from the sale price (already at a loss - I bought at the market peak) and adding another 10% to the purchase price in fees if I could short circuit some of the costs. Is there any part of the fee structure that can be shaved? I had a good legal setup - found them online, based in Marbella, and they did everything reasonably and smoothly - when I bought the apartment in 2007. Are there freelances out there who show clients instead of agents, so that I don't have to park myself there for random viewings? Or, my latest idea, a kind of regular swap, ie are there people with apartments in Andalucia who might like to spend summers in Catalonia (Canyelles Petites) and offer up their place in, say, La Herradura for some time in the winter? Is that a crackpot idea? We would all then just keep our respective investments. I am an independent, active 70-year-old female without children or hangers on, viz. reliable, and wouldn't leave a footprint! At any rate, I would appreciate any ideas.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Catalonia to Andalusia costs to buy and sell

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I think the only way you can avoid capital gains tax when you sell is if you buy a more expensive place so not if you downsize. Someone will correct me if i am wrong but I am also sure if you sell for a loss there is nothing to pay.
I suppose you could ask agents in the south and agents in Roses if they have customers who would do a swap with you or advertise your place on air BnB. The problem with air BNB is you are not there to manage it.
Roses is beautiful by the way. I sailed from Marseille to Roses via the Gulf Lion, 18 hours and fantastic. Love Roses old quarter.

upagumtree

Postby upagumtree » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Hey Costakid
Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't expecting anything that fast! Yes, I am very fond of the place too, and had many happy days there walking the Cap de Creus park and eating sandwiches on the beach in front of El Bulli! Problem is the car situation - it's a hike 190 metres uphill from the beach and Catalan public services aren't a match for the South of Spain. And I have a feeling I want to spend more winter time in Spain in the coming years. I don't have capital gains to pay (an ill wind and all that) but agents charge 6-8% to sell and who knows how hard they even try? With the various other fees you are heading for 10% on the sale, then another 10% on the purchase... I might end up doing as you suggest, going the swap route - maybe through Home Exchange or equivalent. Or set it up for rental and just rent in La Herradura. The great thing about having your own place, though, is being able to leave your stuff. That would have been a beautiful sail from Marseille. Did you hug the coast or do a diagonal?
Many thanks again for your suggestions. I have a feeling this forum will answer a lot of questions before I make my move...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm

We sailed straight across the middle as it was an afternoon departure and through the night. Left France wearing t shirts and then the weather changed as we knew it would. Force 8 gusting to a 9 for about 8 hours. Still good fun though especially the morning we arrived in Roses with the sun out.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:30 pm

You cannot avoid CGT on the sale of a property if you are non resident - which you seem to be. However, if you bought at the top of the market the gain may be low or non existent. If it had been your permanent home for 3 years and you sold it within the last two years it would be able to be rolled over.

You cannot avoid the transfer taxes. The buyer of your property will have to pay them but you will have to pay them on your new purchese.

La Herradura/Almuñécar is a good choice - we have lived there for 20 years.

PM me for any specific local advice you might need.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 pm

costakid wrote:We sailed straight across the middle as it was an afternoon departure and through the night. Left France wearing t shirts and then the weather changed as we knew it would. Force 8 gusting to a 9 for about 8 hours. Still good fun though especially the morning we arrived in Roses with the sun out.
I didn't know you were a sailor! Was it a one off trip or did you sail regularly? We spent 5 years sailing round the Med and living on our yacht, 11000 miles in total.

The Mistral in the Bay of Lions is something to be reckoned with!

Sid

upagumtree

Postby upagumtree » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello Sid/Cid
No CGT because at going rates I reckon I would be losing around 10-15 grand on the net purchase price, never mind the additional purchase fees I paid then. I bought in 2007, so I'm lucky the loss isn't more! Then subtract the sale fees - 4-8% local agent rates, plus the rest of it, then the purchase taxes on the new place etc. Solicitors and notaries and so on unavoidable. I guess I would get back the 3% retention in due course, as I don't have tax liabilities. I suppose it is the agent's fee that galls most, and that is probably the only fee with any manoeuvrability. Having said that, I am simply not using the place and I would certainly see myself spending increasing amounts of time in La H. So maybe I should just get on with it :D !! PS I used to watch the terrace furniture go up and down the tiles wall to wall when the Mistral was doing its thing. Ferocious, it was.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:57 am

El Cid wrote:
costakid wrote:We sailed straight across the middle as it was an afternoon departure and through the night. Left France wearing t shirts and then the weather changed as we knew it would. Force 8 gusting to a 9 for about 8 hours. Still good fun though especially the morning we arrived in Roses with the sun out.
I didn't know you were a sailor! Was it a one off trip or did you sail regularly? We spent 5 years sailing round the Med and living on our yacht, 11000 miles in total.

The Mistral in the Bay of Lions is something to be reckoned with!

Sid
We started sailing renting from Sunsail in Southampton Ocean Village. A group of us used to chip in and have a boat for 4 a 5 days and go around the solent and over to the I o W on a boys jolly. A friend then sold his business and bought a Jeanneau 41 sun odyssey. We collected it from Marseille and our 1st serious sail was the Bat of Lion down to Roses, we did take a yacht master with us just in case. We then spent the next 18 months going back and forth from Majorca to Barcelona and around the med. I missed the trip from Majorca to Gibraltar and down to Tenerife. Once in Tenerife the boat was sold. I was on the helm from Polensa to Barca on a night sail and saw the sunset and sunrise which was amazing. I rented a 49 for my wife and I from Palma to sail around Majorca which is an amazing island to see from the Sea. On that trip we had no wind so mostly on the engine which was not as relaxing as I love it with the rags up.