Northern Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Northern Spain

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:06 am

Anyone done a tour of the north. Early planning stages and via google a few places have come up. Santiago de c..,san sebastian. but struggling to list others as i guess they arent as well known. possible stop in salamanca on the way up. Havnt decided whether to visit there for a few nights and visit avila when i stay in caceres hopefully in the near future. Or stay on the way upto the north. Any opions on places to stay to use as a base or itinery as its gonna be alot of driving
Last edited by elusive on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Northern Spain

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:39 am

Hi elusive,
Depending on the dates for your trip be aware that this year Vuelta a España is all in the north of the country and any Start /Finish stage towns it will be harder to book accommodation.

The towns in question.............

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/vu ... -revealed/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:46 am

Santiago is well worth a visit but you may want to go via portugal as its a long way. If you do that route I suggest Porto as a stop. So i will list places that I have driven too which are worth a visit. Depending on your time on the road I suggest Orense, Santiago, Leon area, San Sebastian, Santander, and then on the way back down Burgos, Madrid, Toledo.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:18 pm

We flew to Santiago and then toured Galicia. We loved the area, very pretty towns along the river estuaries. Places that stood out were Pontevedra which was near to where we stayed, and also the drive from there to Cambados and A Illa de Arousa.
If you're going through Extremadura on the way up then Merida and Trujillo are worth the stop as well as Cásares which you mentioned, although I think the area is more popular nowadays .... something to do with Game of Thrones I understand. It was deserted when we went one spring, and the wildflowers were lovely as well.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 pm

North West corridor alone: Cáceres (unbelievable), Plasencia (Roman), Granadilla (awesome!) Salamanca (huge), Zamora (religious), Astorga (Gaudí), Las Médulas (Roman nature), Ribadeo (all the coastline here), Coruña (Hércules Tower + city centre), Rías Baixas (more unspoilt coast), Lugo (better walls than Ávila), Peñalba de Santiago (unspoilt).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks for your input folks. Been planning a four nighter in caceres for a while. Including day trips to merida and trujillo. But the weathers been dire there the last few months so we never seem to get there.same with valencia (not so much the weather). I know these places like the back of my hand after spending literally years planning trips but things just seem to keep getting in the way! to the point of losing intrest.Didnt realise salamanca was a couple of hrs away so thinking of adding a few nights there .if i dont use it as a stop over.

So many beautiful places to see.places we had never heard of before coming here.
Last edited by elusive on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm not familiar with much of northern Spain but I have been in Pontevedra, well worth spending a few days there !

Gardenofengland
Tourist

Postby Gardenofengland » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:49 pm

We did a mini 10 day driving tour on our way to Costa Tropical Sep 2018. Bilbao, Oviedo, Compostela ( lots of tourists) Coimbra (P) Caceras (A hidden gem), then on to Cadiz and Cordoba. Recommend all except Coimbra in Portugal (not paying any attention to Michael Portillo again!) But the drive through the national park was beautiful. Coming back we stopped in Salamanca., but Avila is lovely as well.
Bridie