English domestic appliances

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alisonb
Resident

English domestic appliances

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 pm

I brought a Zanussi dishwasher from UK. It has developed a problem, so I called in Olmo's (where all my other appliances came from) and asked for recommendations for a repairer. They gave me details of a Zanussi engineer (Spanish) in Nerja. He came the day after I phoned - and was not a happy bunny. Although I assumed that a dishwasher is a dishwasher, apparently not, he said it was quite different to Spanish Zanussi stuff. He cleaned it out (less than 36 euros for 40 min work in campo near Vinuela), but he wasn't convinced he has fixed it. I think I might need another engineer, so does anyone have any recommendations?
AlisonB

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:09 pm

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

We brought a huge fridge with us but only because it was a "sub tropical" variety. Most fridges in Britain aren't designed to work in high ambient temperatures. Interestingly it is hard to find under worktop type fridges here the norm being the tall jobs.

Maybe the issue with the dishwasher is to do with the high cal content in the water in Andalucia. Are we supposed to put "Antical" in dishwashers too like we do in washing machines?

Fingers crossed for your machine.

olive

PS why do you have to put salt in an innaccessible hole - couldn't the designer have made it handier like the soap receptacle on a washing machine?

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:35 pm

I never put salt in my dishwasher now as the new tablets have everything in them. I put a bottle of Finish dishwasher cleaner through it every so often.

As Olive says the Andalucian water does have a high calcium content but dishwasher cleaner through it every now and again should keep it at bay.

Alison what are the symptoms of your machine. :?: Mine wasn't draining properly and it was simply a blockage in the mesh guard at the end of the outlet pipe that hooks over and into the drainpipe. Presumably the engineer would check that sort of the thing though.

Hope you get it sorted soon I certainly wouldn't like to be without mine as I wash as many dishes as I do clothes and wouldn't wash clothes by hand. I have a sister-in-law who only uses her dishwasher for the Sunday lunch dishes. :roll:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

dishwasher

Postby Julie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:40 pm

I use my dishwasher as often as needed, HES one the whole reliable, cheap and cost effective LOL :wink: :D :D :D

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:56 pm

I've run it a couple of times now, and it's working fine. Whilst the engineer was here, he did say that the 5 in 1 tablets which i had been using were no good with high cal water, and salt was VERY important. So I've done what he said, and all seems to be well. Fingers crossed.
Julie - I've also got the standby manual version, but it's just not as good!
AlisonB

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:09 pm

I always find the manual ones to be a bit unreliable myself :wink: