Holiday lets - strange requests.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:33 am

Just remembered another one: we had a single young lad knock on our door, holding a damp dish cloth. He said the cloth we provided didn't produce a lather when washing his dishes. We showed him how to combine the use of the cloth with the washing up liquid provided, and he went away a happy customer!
Bless!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 pm

"Should I bring my own matress? It's no problem, I can put it on the roof of the car."
I think I used to go out with here sister :D :D :D
Hardworking resident !!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:24 pm

God, I've got so many I could write a book:
There was a middle aged Italian guy who objected to us erecting a satelite dish on the roof. He believed there was a conspiracy going on, and that we were trying to poison our tenants with radiation from the dish. He also objected to us cleaning his apartment, because he believed that disturbing the dust caused potentially lethal allergies. Mind you, he also told us that he had become sexually mature at the age of three and was a personal friend of Albert Einstein. When he left, he asked us to store some boxes for a few weeks, since he would be returning. (He was after all a good payer!) After almost one year, we decided to check the contents of the boxes before chucking them out - just in case. We found them to be full of old newspapers. Nothing else!
Then there was the Norwegian lass, who was terminally depressed. Not long after checking in to her apartment, she turned up at our door holding the carpet from the living room. She asked "Do you have this in any other colour, because I find green so depressing?". Unfortunately, we were unable to oblige on that occasion.
I could go on......

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 pm

:lol: Please go on Miro.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:15 pm

OK, just one more for now:
Had a German guy rent an apartment, got behind on his rent, moved a Moroccan prostitute in with him, started getting complaints from neighbours etc etc. Went to confront him, asked him to leave. Started to get a bit nasty, and he got on his mobile and called for back up. I have a limited understanding of German, but he seemed to be saying " I need help, NOW." Expecting his henchman to arrive any minute to beat me senseless, I was more than a little relieved when the pastor from the local German church turned up. After a brief chat, my tenant was reduced to a blubbering wreck, and the pastor gently took him away. A short while later he (the pastor) returned to collect the guys belongings. He paid the outstanding rent, apologised on behalf of his charge, and explained that he had "issues" and that he had come to his rescue on more than one occasion.
Made us wonder if we could insist on references from religious figures from all tenants in the future.

bassman
Andalucia.com Amigo

holiday lets-strange requests

Postby bassman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 pm

We looked after rental properties for 4 years and I can recall a few occasions that made us smile/cringe. here´s one of the more recent ones.

A middle aged couple were renting a cottage in the village for 2 weeks and they rang us the first evening to explain to them why there was no garlic press in the kitchen. After ranting and raving for half an hour the woman told us it had ruined their holiday! They hadn´t been there 4 hours!! It was very difficult not to laugh! They not only took up a whole page in the visitors book writing about this dreadful omission but also wrote 2 pages to the owner about it. Sad innit?
"I will pass this way but once"

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:31 pm

There's nowt so queer as folk :!:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:48 pm

True story:
Had a guy renting an apartment in the same building where we lived. One night, at 4am, our intercom buzzed. We ignored it at first, but it became quite persistent, so my wife eventually got out of bed to find out who the Hell was bothering us at such an hour. Our tenant was outside, VERY apologetic, explaining that he had locked himself out. He asked for me to come down and let him in to his apartment with the spare key. As I was still in bed, my wife said she would come down, at which point he became very insistent that I came down rather than her. She told him I was asleep and she would come down. He begged her to wake me up instead. When pushed, he finally admitted to my wife, over the intercom from the street outside, that he had locked himself out because he had been sleepwalking - and was stark b*ll*ck naked!
My wife got me out of bed after all!

daisylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daisylou » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some fab stories here!!

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:07 pm

Great reading - the Norwegian Lass and the green carpet, and the garlic press story are so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was once asked in an email - do you let your place out when not there?

No, I answered

Great - send me details and website if you have one, came the reply :? :? :lol:

Even getting over the hurdle of having strangers in your place, I wouldn't have the patience to deal with the strange requests/comments etc . I'd end up like John McEnroe "You can not be serious!!!!"
Meg - Sunny by nature

bassman
Andalucia.com Amigo

holiday lets-strange requests

Postby bassman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:47 am

A final one from me:

Phone call from a French lady wanting to book B&B.

Her: "Do you have secure parking?"

Me: "I´m sorry but no we don´t. May I refer you to the access portion of our website", and I quote "Please note that access to Casa **** is gained via several steps, which may be a problem for wheelchair users or persons with walking difficulties. However cars may be driven up to our level to allow passengers to alight before returning to the lower level to park".

Her: So where do we park?"

Me: "On the lower level, on the street below the steps"

Her: "So is it secure parking?, I must have secure parking"

Me: "No, It´s street parking and about as secure as any village street would be, we have never had any problems"

Her: "So it´s not secure then?, It´s very important to us, we would never leave our car on the street"

Me: "No, it´s not"

Her: "So you don´t have ANY secure parking then"?

Me: "No we don´t"

Her: "OK, I´d like to reserve your double en-suite for 3 nights starting Sunday"!!!!!!!!

Me: :?:
"I will pass this way but once"

MANDERS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MANDERS » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:47 pm

We have had several "interesting" :!: guests, with some very unusual requests. We have three holiday cottages attached to the main Cortijo.

1. On looking at the webside one long suffering husband asked whether he could book La Finca but that the bed cover from La Hacienda be transferred across.

2. Did we accept pets - within reason - can I bring my tortoise!

3. We want a reduction because it rained and ruined our holiday.

4. Where can I buy porridge!

5. Can you stop the birds making so much noise.

Hey Ho.

On the whole though, clients are a good bunch.

juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby juliesteve&joe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 pm

That tortoise one Manders- gosh what people will ask for!!!

MANDERS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MANDERS » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:16 am

:D :D :D :D

The tortoise was fine - no trouble - but the guests! phew :D