Residency info

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Hippo
Tourist

Residency info

Postby Hippo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:17 pm

I know lots has been said about this, and I can read it all. But... I cant find out where to go to get recidency status. I live in the CADIZ region.
Any one local, done this yet? Where, what is required etc.

Thanks in advance
Another day in Paradise

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:25 pm

If there is no Foreigners Department, then your local police station is the place. You could start by asking at your local town hall of course.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Hippo, i did mine 2 years ago and you have to go to Cadiz. If you drive into Cadiz and go all the way down the main road and turn right just before the arch entrance to the old town. The street is Calle A....( can't remember the name apart from it beginning with A) and is 1st on the right. The building is on the right..official looking and you need to go in the side entrance. Really easy to find..not like parking. If you go too far and drive through the arch you will find a good car park on the right and walk back. You get the forms from here and if you have time fill them in straight away. You will need copies of your passport..2 i think. When you come to doing your fingerprints you have to go to the main police station which is halfway along the main road on the left, and a bank to pay your money is just before it on the left. Was 6.5euros and i think is still the same.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:37 pm

As you say this has been covered many times and, bear in mind if you are an EU citizen, you can no longer apply for residency. You now apply for a certificate of residency which basically means you are logged onto the register of foreigners and given an A4 piece of paper which will not be any good for ID purposes.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

Hippo
Tourist

thanks people

Postby Hippo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:26 am

Thanks for your info.
I'll try and get there this week and let you know what happens.
Another day in Paradise

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:52 pm

Time to "bump" this old chestnut up again, as another foreign lamb goes to the slaughter....
Got to the Police station in Torremolinos at 07:20 this morning to join the queue for tickets for getting my useless green flappy bit of paper, as my tarjeta expires next month. Ony a couple of dozen people in front of me. But when the gates opened at 09:00, they only gave out about a dozen tickets, saying "no more foreigners today, come back tomorrow!" Two elderly English ladies had waited together ahead of me for the best part of 2 hours, in the cold. One of them got the last ticket - the other was told tough ****. Disgraceful.
I managed to get through the scrum of Spaniards applying for passports and new ID cards to pick up the form to take to the bank and have dutifully paid my €6.70, and tomorrow I will get up at 06:00 and try again. :evil:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:00 pm

so you still have to get up at 6am to get to the local police station to get a ticket and apply for this "certificate" then ? and they only give out 15 or so tickets? thats a joke :shock:

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

OK, so as of February this year "residency" and the tarjeta de residencia no longer has relvance for EU citizens. Any EU citizen in Spain for 3 months or more simply needs a NIE and to be registered in your locality (unless for some reason you are exempt). No photo ID, nothing but an A4 "certificate" showing you have your NIE. Quite what now expires in all this, I am not sure.

Edit - cant get away with any smelling mistake these days :oops:

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Edit - cant get away with any smelling mistake these days
But you are obviously trying!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah JAWG, I could blame the beans yesterday but still thinking what to blame it on tonight :?

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Think I have a wee troll who picks up on every little typo lately.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Got there at 06:30 (What's the "O" stand for? Oh my God, it's early!)
Only 5 in the queue ahead of me. About 100 behind me. Mr.Plod came out at 09:00 with 55 tickets. (OK, I exaggerated yesterday, but there were still a lot of peeved people this morning).
There were quite a few (Brits) who had queued just to find out what they're supposed to be doing - didn't know what forms or other docs were required. Should have gone to A.com, I say! The police station has all sorts of typed notices over the place in Spanish, but the only sign written in English said "please turn off your mobiles before entering!" I had to help a poor Arab mother with a toddler and a baby in a pram, because Mr.Plod was not about to help her get down the steps (NO disabled access here, but if you have a bar without access, they're round in a shot) and I had to explain to her what was going on, because she didn't even seem to understand the numbers. Nobody else was going to offer any help. Inside the office, there are half a dozen desks dealing with the (few) Spaniards who are renewing DNIs or getting passports (€185 each? I think NOT), and one, count them, ONE desk serving the (55 aforementioned lucky) foreigners.
I had overlooked the bit on the top of the instructions saying that original and photocopies of docs are required, but the nice lady told me it would take her that long to transpose my details on to the Green Flappy Bit Of Useless Paper, that I could nip down the road to the copy shop and get back before she finished her one-finger data entry! Despite the fact the instructions ask for passport or other official ID document, I had to produce both my passport and expiring residency card, and when asked for the (not required) padron certificate, had to argue the case. Fortunately, I had a copy of my escritura (always handy to have one in your back pocket) and this seemed to satisfy Ms.Jobsworth that the address I had given was legit.
I had to beg to keep my (soon to expire) residency card "as a souvenir", but it's now minus one corner to show it's no longer valid, and I was then duly presented with my Useless Flappy Bit Of Green Paper, with the announcement that it is NOT valid as ID, nor is it proof of Nationality. But it is fit for purpose - which is absolutely nada!

One good bit of news - the cafe opposite the station opens at 07:00, and serves remarkably good, piping hot coffee :lol:

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:58 pm

I dont quite understand the point of all this getting up in the middle of the night to be insulted at police station, am I missing the point or is this really necessary. as stated before on this thread having registered at the town hall and having an NIE number and of course completing a spanish tax return each year surely makes you a legal resident, please correct me if I am wrong.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:24 pm

I agree that Torremolinos is the very worst police station for xenophobic treatment of foreigners.

My wife was there a couple of weeks ago with an elderly couple who had been queuing since 6.30am. Luckily they were able to obtain the necessary entry tickets but the police officer (if you want to dignify him with such a title) who was on duty was extremely rude and aggressive towards all of the foreigners.

The male half of the couple my wife was helping had recently undergone an operation on his knee and at one point was roughly pushed by the police officer apparently because he was standing in the wrong place. His weakened knee let him down and he fell over onto the ground.

No apology or assistance was forthcoming and when my wife protested she was threatened with arrest for causing a breach of the peace.

She then went inside the main part of the police station to complain about the treatment her client had received and was similarly threatened.

This is quickly becoming typical of daily life for foreigners in a so-called democratic European country.

Don

Postby Don » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Ouch Beach, that is rather OTT. Having followed this thread I can only comment on Sevilla practice - the HQ for Andalucia. The offices for NIE are in Plaza d'Espagna and there are indeed queues from 0500 or even earlier .... BUT, there are two queues. The non EU (mostly very well tanned Moroccan looking) people seem to queue overnight but the EU queue only gets going at about 0800 and the guardia treat each queue very differently. By 0900 I found the EU queue too long to wait at about 20 so I came back the next day at 0830 and was 4th or 5th I think. Very easy guy on the desk and all was done by 1030. Forms filed, off to bank to pay tax, back to office to show tax receipt and collect NIE A4 sheet.

Then of course I had to queue for 2 days to activate the NIE in the Hacienda but thats another story.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm

wahayyy!! i originally got my residency card in the Motril Office, very easily.

Now living over near Huelva, does anyone know where i´ll need to go to get the pleasure of this new routine next year when our cards run out?

Many thnka,
karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Don

Postby Don » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm

As I posted / asked earlier Karandjon - what needs renewing as you no longer need tarjeta de residencia and if you have a NIE then ....... ?

ampis292
Tourist

Postby ampis292 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:13 pm

So does the green paper ever expire? Do they still fingerprint?

Don

Postby Don » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:16 pm

As far as I am aware, an NIE is for life. Nothing expires.
I think they no longer fingerprint EU citizens as that was for the tarjeta de residencia.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:34 pm

It's all explained (reasonably) clearly here: http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/general/V ... INGLES.pdf

You can also download the EX16 application form here: http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/general/S ... -Ex-16.pdf

No fingerprints, no photos - no point. Quite whether it is really necessary or not, I wouldn't like to say. It seems that you are required by the Spanish authorities to register this way, but whether they can legally oblige you to do so or not, I don't know.
For the sake of a few hours hanging around in the morning, and a little bit of routine abuse, I think it was worthwhile, because I'll never have to do it again until the twits in Brussels change their minds again or Spain quits the EU.

As to the attitude shown to foreigners, I must say that the Spaniards queuing this morning were treated much the same. Difference is, they don't find it offensive. It's true that if a similar situation existed in the UK, someone would be passing down the line handing out hot meals and envelopes full of cash, for fear of being branded racists or whatever. But there's definitely no point in complaining - they now have the best excuse ever: "it's not US, it's the EU".
Perhaps for once they have a point and are justified. However, it doesn't take the greatest Teutonic mind to figure out that if they were to implement some kind of system - any system, they would make their own lives a lot simpler, let alone those of countless innocent victims of bureaucracy.
As it is, by dealing with so few applicants each day, the back log is just going to get greater and greater every day. Eventually something will have to give. And you can bet your bottom dollar, it'll be us, not them! :evil: