Spanish - Sale of goods act ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:31 pm

That is worth knowing. Perhaps we all ought to ask them for proper receipts for everything then they would soon change the till rolls and ink! Wait a minute that sounds a bit too revolutionary.

In future I will ask them for a proper receipt for anything likely to pack up.

Thanks

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:50 pm

[quote="olive"]It is some years now since I was in the UK but my recollections were of never having a good experience when something went wrong. More I used to challenge people to recall ANY time they had a good experience when things went wrong. Virtually all failed to come up with a single example. You only need to recall people changing Internet supplier to see what I mean. Britain had a stab in the 90's at improving service but the cycle moved on to profit first.

[/quote]

Olive, when did you move out, in the 40's? :D I have never had a problem here exchanging anything. I know it's the norm to knock UK PLC, but in this respect we are light years ahead of Spain. Personally, I recently returned two hedge trimmers that were faulty, money refunded without any problems, some saucepans we had several years, (lifetime guarantee) were collected from our house, and money refunded in full, and a kettle that leaked (without any proof of purchase or receipt) was also reimbursed the full amount. In all of these cases, there was never any attempt not to pay, I was amazed how easy it is. As it's the law, they haven't really much choice! :D Online companies like QVC, will also take everything back within a month, as well as your normal warranty, and you don't need a reason. This includes jewellery,clothes, and have heard of people abusing it by wearing a dress to a function and then returning it! Same with Jessops, I bought a lens there, and if I didn't like it for any reason, I could return in within a month. and get a full refund.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:00 pm

I bought a packet of vacum cleaner bags from Boulanger. The assistant chose which was (he said) the right one. When I opened them it was not the correct one. They refused to exchange them because I had opened the packet! Filled out the complaints form..was informed by registered post that it was against the terms and conditions to refund if the packaging was opened. The consumer dept. came out on side of Boulanger (even though they had advised me they were a fit). Only 8 euros but its the principle.

Spain is worse at customer service than the UK. Another thing, it is very rare that anyone answers an e-mail or calls you back.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:33 am

I have has so many customer service nightmares I wouldn´t know where to start, however I always fight for my right, and ALWAYS end up asking for the complaints book.

Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn´t. I remember one shop refusing to give it to me, but since you can actually call the police if refused the book, which I threatened them with, they immediately sorted out my problem.

Another shop where the same happened, over 3 euros!!, they didn´t even have a complaints book. I only wanted a refund after they sold me a torch that didn´t work. It was incredible. They were faced with giving me a refund or me calling the police for not having a complaints book to fill in...they told me to call the police! So I did. They got fined for not having the book, 150 euros I think....was it worth it for them?

I hate being taken the pi$$ out of or having my rights breached, but in Spain they don´t care. It may seem petty to some but it goes on in every shop you enter and you either lose out every time or have to fight for it...customer service is probably the only thing I miss from the UK, apart from my family of course.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm getting one of my sinking feelings. Our fancy coffee machine (the size of a microwave oven) has stopped cooperating after 11 months. I note that the Service section of the Boulanger website is just a list of manufacturers' addresses.
Is it worth dragging it to La Canada or are they just going to tell me to send it to the factory? If that's the case then I can think of one shop where I won't be buying the replacement.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:03 pm

Call their customer services no. and they will give you a number for the local service technician. (usually málaga city based). Don't bother making the journey they won't do anything after 7 or 14 days of purchase! :(

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:24 pm

F. Olmo in Velez tell you to keep the packaging for 30 days - any problems within that period they exchange the faulty product with no hassle, after that they will direct you to a service agent, who in our case gave us a new vacuum cleaner rather than repair the 6-month-old one we had taken in - and it was an uprated model, so not everywhere is bad!
Ferreteria Garcia in Colmenar have also replaced small electrical goods that have gone pop with no quibble - with the option to put the value of the faulty one against a better model if you wish, which covers the case of buying what turns out to be under-spec things.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.