Huge pall of smoke

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Huge pall of smoke

Postby country boy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Just been out to close down the premises and there is a huge pall of smoke twixt AEG, Fishermens Gate and the coast, somewhere down towards Mijas Golf/ La Cala I would estimate. Hope everyone is safe!!!
Last edited by country boy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teralin
Resident

Re: Huge pall of smoke

Postby teralin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 pm

We have seen it from our terrace at Torre del Mar. It looks massive.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 pm

I thought it looked like smoke, difficult from Torrox. Hope all safe, bad time of day for flying low.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Don't know if it is the same one but the flames are leaping into the sky not far from us. It is looking over the pig farm and beyond - difficult at night to see how far away it is but a bit too close for comfort. I was on my way to bed but a bit nervous now.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Sounds serious :(

http://www.diariosur.es/20120830/local/ ... 02125.html

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm on my way out to Fuengirola on Sunday :(

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 pm

It is at Branco Blanco area and further back from Alhaurin el Grande side -I think they have been evacuated. Branco blanco is on the outskirts of Coin/ Alhaurin el Grande - very close to where El Dorado was filmed.
It started about 6pm I think - all I could see from the Alhaurin side near the water tower, was a huge plume of smoke and several helicopters. The flames were towards the top of the mountain but are now at the base and it is not any better - several hours later.
Unfortunately tonight, the wind was fanning the flames and making the situation worse. It has since dropped, so fingers crossed.
Fire brigades have come up from Mijas - I think 4 bombaderos units from different areas are on site with helicopters using possibly from Alhaurin golf and maybe futher afield to the lakes ? Those choppers are very high in the sky. It is tinder dry in that area.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Update: The fire is now in the Guadalhorce Valley and seems to be burning the Sierra Gorda area and a smaller fire heading towards AEG outskirts from the South East. Quite spectacular from here but horrendous...hope every one is safe :think: The fire must have passed the BP garage at Fishermens Gate, crikey!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Anyone living Delicias area, they shut the road from La Boma down towards you - speak to them and they will let you through for the moment - they are trying to leave the road clear for the fire brigade services.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Definitely what we can see from here then. OH says it is not as close as it looks thank goodness.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Posters are commenting all the time in Sur. The smoke has reached right down to the sea in Torremolinos and someone has posted a foto of the smoke in marbella.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I was out in the Coin area / Alhaurin el Grande this morning , near about 11 am and saw several fire engines moving very quickly - Coin to A el Grande towards Las Delicias/ Barrenco Blanco - I was at Miramonte bar - perhaps it had already started back then ?
If so, it is bad and has been burning for a long time now.
Hopefully, in that particular area, it is mainly beautiful riding woodland area, bee keeping, a few lovely houses that the residents should be able to escape from in good time, with their horses, and I wish you all the best.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm

...hopefully all is well, flames seem to be dying down and fire maybe under control. the wind has stopped. Helicopters seem to be stopping duties - good sign I hope or maybe they can't see ? The former I hope. If they have put that out, they have done a wonderful job.
It has not spread to the coast as far as I know, despite newspaper reports, but restricted to the woodland area of Barranco blanca, with the lovely waterfall, known for its lovely Timotei shampoo advert, the area that I spoke of before. Hope you are all OK there.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 pm

An animal shelter near Coin is in trouble according to some of my facebook friends and the animals are being evacuated. If anyone lives near and can take some animals, PM me and I'll pass on some phone numbers.

Here's a copy and paste, minus the phone numbers (don't know if I should put them on here)

"The fire is spreading towards Kims, there are 3 cars there now, I have been asked to beg for help, they are evacuating the animals now and if anyone can help, please go to the COIN road from La Cala or Fuengirola, on the coin road take the turning for LA ATALAYA MACORRA. If anyone can help or take the animals in until the fire is out. URGENT: please anyone. cars with the dogs are coming down to the picnic ground at Mijas Golf just past the Tamisa Golf Hotel. We need cars to take the dogs to Cat and Dog World at Alhaurin. The cars will then drive back up the dry river bed to collect more dogs . please help. please NOW"

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 pm

The wind has changed a bit and I now can see that it wasn't Sierra Gorda that was burning but the mountain behind, also it doesn't seem to have passed the BP Petrol Station yet but is very close still. A very broad front to contain that's for sure. Good luck to all involved, we'll see what daylight brings when the Helicopters can start work. A very long night ahead for some people ......

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Latest news re. the animals is all have been evacuated! That's good. I hope the fire is soon under control and no-one is hurt. The photo on facebook makes our recent fire look like a bonfire :(

gnik7
Tourist

Postby gnik7 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:48 am

Top of Riveria and Calahonda completely engulfed in flames. Police have evacuated over thousand people in both areas.
This looks very serious the speed the fire is traveling, police and firefighters must be struggling to cope.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 am

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 5637.shtml

shows a photo of the fire.
I cannot see from this side of the mountain if the fire has been contained but saw helicopter activity towards the coast at day break

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am

Just watching the news on the TV, the fire looks dreadful. I read 2 people have been badly hurt, I hope there is no more. A house is just a house, a persons life is important, that can´t be replaced/rebuilt,

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am

gnik7 wrote:Top of Riveria and Calahonda completely engulfed in flames. Police have evacuated over thousand people in both areas.
This looks very serious the speed the fire is traveling, police and firefighters must be struggling to cope.

Is there any update on this fire please?