Do banks require to see passport and NIE?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rafiki
Resident

Do banks require to see passport and NIE?

Postby rafiki » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:50 am

I have seen on other forums people saying that both residents and non-residents are required to show their bank their passport and NIE, before the end of the year in the case of non-residents and by next April in the case of residents. Some state that it is a 'new law'. CAB Spain seem to say it is true but, as I have seen nothing here, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any information on this. I have had no notification of any such requirement from La Caixa.
Brian.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Do banks require to see passport and NIE?

Postby biribiri » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:58 am

This was my experience. I received a request from my bank in October asking for copies of my id be sent to them via e-mail in order to identify myself under Ley 10/2010, de 28 de abril, de prevención del blanqueo de capitales y de la financiación del terrorismo.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33721

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks biribiri. I see that was as a result of a communication from your bank. The chatter I have seen indicates that it is a general requirement and that all are required to pop along with ID to comply regardless. Some say that they have done this and their bank confirmed that it is a requirement whilst others say they did the same at other banks who didn't understand why they were there! Par for the course in Spain but I'd be interested to know what, if anything, is really required.
Brian.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Banco Popular online banking presents this message prior to going to the account details:

There is certainly a requirement to do this but it does not mention a time limit.
Let's go Brandon!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks Beachcomber. I have had a look at our bank, la Caixa, Linea Abierta pages but haven't found any similar information. I guess it will come eventually.
Brian.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:30 pm

I certainly hope there isn't a time limit - no way could I comply before the end of the year !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Every time I do anything out of the norm(change money or send money abroad or invest money)I have to produce documentation which is duly copied. I think the bank must have hundreds of these copies by now. Why do they need more?

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:26 pm

I am sure I showed these and they were photo copied, when I opened the account, better look out for them asking again if that's the case. Could be a good excuse for a trip to Sevilla I miss visiting it :-)

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:14 pm

I had to do this with La Caixa in September.

I had only banked with them for seven years prior to that !.

I had a request online, which I ignored. Later I had a letter to my UK address, threatening all sorts of things unless I proved whom I was. I popped along to my branch in September when in Spain to sort it out.

anyroads

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:51 am

How would things go if the account holder no longer held a passport ?

For example, a foreigner who became legal resident some years ago, decided not to renew their passport as they were now too old/infirm to travel outside of Spain in the future. With a photo ID card not available to them in Spain, what would be acceptable as ID ?

Parilla