Endesa ICP and Smart Meters

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mujer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Endesa ICP and Smart Meters

Postby mujer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:26 pm

On our hillwalk I noticed several holiday villas we pass had their old 'dial' meters removed and new 'smart meters' installed, presumably with the ICP inside.
We haven't had anyone come round and replace our meter.
Although we have an electronic meter, I don't think it has an ICP inside because we have an ICP trip in the fuse box in the house.
Why would Endesa not contact us to install a new smart meter?

Endesa also recently sent us a newly-designed electricity bill.
It stated "no ICP. ICP effectively integrated in the system".
What does this mean? Do other people have this on their bills?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Endesa ICP and Smart Meters

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 pm

mujer wrote: Although we have an electronic meter, I don't think it has an ICP inside because we have an ICP trip in the fuse box in the house.
Why would Endesa not contact us to install a new smart meter?
It is my understanding that all smart meters have an inbuilt ICP.
I also have onein the house because it was fitted before the old dial meter was changed to a smart meter.
Why does Endesa need to contact you to change the meter?
The meter cupboard should be accesable from outside your property.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Endesa are replacing all meters with the smart ones, on a rolling programme (even if you already have an ICP). However, there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all as to how this is being done, mine was replaced 2 years ago now, but lots of people in my street still have the old meters. I have no idea how they select which ones they replace and when.

They will send you a letter advising you when they do intend to replace your meter, and providing your meter box is the up to date kind with a metal door which can accommodate one of the new type meters, and is accessible on the outside of the house as it should be, the letter gives you the option to arrange a date for the change to be made if you want to be present when it is done. They then send you a letter afterwards confirming that the change has been made.

If the meter box isn't suitable or is on the inside of the house it is your responsibility to have it changed (at your own expense) before they come to fit the new meter.

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:10 am

Our meter is located inside in the porch, If we are out the front door is closed and there is no access to Endesa.

It was changed to a smart meter without any problem (fitted in the same location) and without any charge a couple of years ago.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Endesa didn't charge me anything when they changed my meter either, but we already had a new style meter box.

I posted what I did because someone I know received a letter from their electricty supplier late last year (I saw the letter) which said that their meter would need to be changed in the near future and giving them notice that their meter box would need to be changed to one of the new type before a certain date. It is the new meter box that customers must pay for, not the meter itself.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 pm

We are customers of Unión Fenosa and have just received a letter informing us that a new meters will be installed in our área from the 8th June. It goes on to say that a few days before installation we will be informed of the date and time slot the technicians will carry out the work - if that happens my gast will be flabbered! The letter mentions renewal on a rental basis or renewal in ownership which I don´t understand. Renewal on a rental basis seems to be the default. The letter mentions needing access to the property if the meter is inside. If outside I presume it just happens and there is no need to be present. We have a plastic door on our meter box and no key. There is no mention of metal doors or an inspection prior to installation.
On a technical point we are aware of people locally who have ICP´s allowing greater usage than there contracted potencia. One has a new Smart meter and it does not trip even though they are drawing more power than there contracted kW´s. Not sure what is going on there as I was led to understand that the new meters would be set to your contacted potencia?

mujer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mujer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:25 pm

I have seen various smart meters installed around the campo here.
The point I was making was not access or being informed, just that we don't seem to have one, yet other villas have had them installed in the area.
Has anyone had a new-style bill with the statement "no ICP, but ICP effectively integrated into the system"?
I'm wondering what does this statement mean? You have an ICP in your fuse-box?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am

mujer wrote: Has anyone had a new-style bill with the statement "no ICP, but ICP effectively integrated into the system"?
I'm wondering what does this statement mean? You have an ICP in your fuse-box?
I am with Endesa and have a smart meter fitted.
No mention of ICP on my Endesa statement.
I'm guessing that what they are saying, on your statement, that there isn't, and doesn't need to be, a separate ICP fitted as it is integrated within the smart meter.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am

Hi,
Some light reading on the Smart Meter...........roll-out in Spain.......

http://www.landisgyr.co.uk/resources/sm ... echnology/

Our company CHC installed in the area around the turn of this year.

Normally there is a Red light on, goes Green when they are access the data, on our version of the Meter.

This model is a popular fitting............Tech details ............. :D

http://www.landisgyr.com/webfoo/wp-cont ... nicos-.pdf
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:23 am

Does anyone know what happens if the internal ICP trips? Normally you just go to the fuse box and reset the system, but if the meter is outside that could be a problem.

Maybe it resets after a short period.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 am

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:12 pm

An update on our Smart Meter installation. Finally installed 6 months after proposed date. Came home one day from walking the dog and the meter had been changed. As mentioned previously our ICP is 20 A which allows us to draw 4.6kW before it trips. Our Potencia Contractada is 2.2kW, i.e. we should have an ICP of 10A. However,the new Smart Meter does not result in tripping at power levels above 2.2kW as I thought it would. Currently we wrongly receive a discount "por bono social". No doubt the new meter will be capable of showing we are drawing more power than the contracted level. Time to upgrade our contracted Potencia me thinks!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I would do nothing until it either starts tripping or Endesa gets in touch with you.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:53 am

sound advice cid.. let sleeping dogs lie etc etc...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:02 pm

We had a smart meter fitted recently and as I was curious to find out its limits, I overloaded our 5.5kW potencia to see if the built in ICP tripped.

6.5kW for 4 minutes - no trip
9.4kW for 1 min - no trip

I couldn't find any markings on the meter which stated its rating, but I did find hints on the net suggesting that the limit can be set remotely; i.e. with the appropriate boletin Endesa can change the potencia without visiting your house.

So my questions are:

1. Can the meter be programmed (remotely or locally) to any ICP value?
2. What experiences have others had re tripping at or above the quoted potencia?

I'm now wondering whether in fact there is no 'ICP' in the meter, just the facility to switch off the power remotely when a computer monitoring system decides that you've gone over your limit once too often. That's the way I'd do it if I was an electricity company. Monitor your clients' usage, let them get away with it a little, then when the Christmas turkey is two thirds cooked - click, off goes the power to be followed up with an email suggesting that for only €2,500 an engineer could supply a boletin which would enable an upgrade to 9.5kW and an extra 90% on your standing charge. Ke-ching!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi McT,
What happened to your original ICP, the one that was fitted a few years back........ :?:

We had Smart Meter fitted last year, the ICP is still in place and will trip if I go over 3.3Kw.

The Smart Meter can be programmed remotely, but having said that the Engineer was out last month to Read the meter as it wasn't sending info back to Base, he had quite a few to read in the area.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:11 pm

It's up to you to bypass or remove the old ICP if you wish. The new meter installation does not involve access to the house.

Although the new meters are capable of transmitting monthly readings I don't think that option has been implemented yet.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 pm

El Cid wrote: Although the new meters are capable of transmitting monthly readings I don't think that option has been implemented yet.
Sid
My "smart meter" has been passing readings since it was installed some time ago. It even records usage by the hour should I feel inclined to go on line to peruse my electronic factura. Luckily it was installed just before it was necessary for me to install an ICP, therefore saving me a few Euros!
Gerry

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 am

Enrique wrote:Hi McT,
What happened to your original ICP, the one that was fitted a few years back........ :?:
After a reform a few years ago, which included a heavy duty heat pump to run the underfloor heating, we had an electrician come in to up the ICP from 25A to 40A and to issue a boletin. He took all the details of the Endesa account and even the meter number and told us that he needed to inform Endesa, who would then change the account. He never did. For reasons that I won't go into here, I would rather poke pins in my eyes than visit the local Endesa agent, so we left it at that. A few months ago we did go to the agent to change the DD from my wife's bank to mine. A simple transaction you might think. No, the account had to be changed to my name and it took three visits, passports, NIEs, escritura, death certificates of great-grandparents, sacrifice of our first-born, etc. Strangely though, they didn't want to see the boletin!

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:59 pm

TBH I have no problem with Endesa. When I requested the dos tariffa they came to fit a new meter for this contract. During requesting the change from One Luz to Dos Tariffa my old potencia was 6.6 KW and the choice was either 6.9 or 5.75 KW, I chose 6.9KW but after a month I requested to downgrade to 5.75KW and they came to adjust the meter for this new power. All of the changes were requested on line while chatting with one of the service people for their guide to do the change.