jewellery making tools

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kexon
Resident

jewellery making tools

Postby kexon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:25 pm

I am presently looking for a set of jewellery making tools as i have some gemstone beads and pearls that need re/stringing,anyone can recommend or not any online sites etc,seems to be many of them,its a case of sorting out the good from the crud along with balancing the price,some seem very expensive and some so cheap i feel they must be rubbish.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: jewellery making tools

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 pm

100s on ebay.co.uk

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:40 pm

Try Fred Aldous - http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/catalogsear ... q=jewllery They've been going for years, and these days sell just about everything you could possibly want to use to make something !

I've checked, & they deliver to Spain (courier I think)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:22 am

For stringing you will need a variety of pliers. The least you will need is needle nosed and curved. My advice is if you are just doing one thing buy cheap but if you intend to make more buy better quality. In Malaga there is a good art shop near the market where you can get craft tools including beading supplies. I'm afraid I can't be much in Sevilla as I have yet to visit there.

Good luck :)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Hobbycraft in UK?

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks for all your replies,i shall try the link given and also hobbycraft.i am an ebay member and find i use it less and less due to sellers asking sky high postal rates and it seems to me selling more and more junk from china.i have found some bead sites that sell the tools,its a question of quality v price.I have quite a few bead ecklaces that need new fixings etc so will probably look for a reasonably priced starter kit.It didnt occur to me until this post we have no hobby category on the forum.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Hello Kexon,
We have been involved with the handicraft world for many years and would suggest that you can actually buy most of what you need here in Spain in the Chinese Bazaars. Many of the bigger stores have big craft sections including findings ( fasteners etc. ), they are base metal but cheap.
They also stock most tools that you would need, not top quality but fine for casual usage.
As recommended Fred Aldous in Manchester is a good source of supply, a real 'old fashioned ' store and we started dealing with them many years ago, their prices are realistic.
If you are looking for silver/gold findings they are easily obtained from UK, mainly the Birmingham area.

We still have some 'findings' if you can't get fixed up, happy to send on to you....free.
Regards,
Gordon.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47 pm

If you're fixing bead necklaces, then you will find a 'flexible needle' invaluable. I repaired a pearl necklace for a friend, and these clever little needles were a great help, as they will go through the tiniest of holes. They're about 2-3 inches long, with a little loop at one end (I needed to use a needle threader), and are made of strong but flexible plastic, as fine as a hair.
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/collapsible ... ack-3.html
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Apologies to all for my delay in replying,i was bogged down with other matters.i have checked out links etc given with no success,however have found many online services and two that have a really good selection, whch are spoiltrottenbeads and beadsdirect.i havent had time yet to make any final decision as i like to do sufficient research so i know what i am buying is the right tool for the job.Many thanks to Benidorm for your kind offer,strangely enough havent had a problem finding sources for sterling silver findings,though i have come across many sights that sell masses for wire working and nothing for beading,strange.I was a bit surprised to find that Corte Ingles dont seem to have arty crafty things,but i couldnt find any on the website,unless of course they have them in store but dont put them on the webiste.Anyway,thanks for all your help and hopefully soon i shall be repairing and beading.