log burner

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

log burner

Postby brianjackson » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 am

I have got a bronpi log burner. What is the best way to clean the glass door?
I hope for nothing - I fear nothing - I am free.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: log burner

Postby Lyric » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:23 am

Forget all the old wives tales, ash, newspaper etc. Mercadonna own brand Ceramic Hob Cleaner, NOT the much more expensive product next to it on the shelf.
Magic.

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for that. i will give it a go. :clap:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am

Oven cleaner spray works well.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:31 am

One more vote for Ceramic Hob Cleaner - Supersol's own (black bottle) works especially well, and is dirt cheap.
Chris

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 pm

I have 2 wood burners (using for 5 years) in England and 1 (using last winter) here in Spain; to clean the glass doors, I use a damp kitchen tissue, dabbing to the ash to load it then wiping the glass door with the ash. The ash is quite gritty but not hard enough to scratch the glass and would clear the black soot. After this, clean the door with a damp kitchen tissue then a dry one the glass is cleaned without chemical.

brianjackson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brianjackson » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Torrox_campo wrote:I have 2 wood burners (using for 5 years) in England and 1 (using last winter) here in Spain; to clean the glass doors, I use a damp kitchen tissue, dabbing to the ash to load it then wiping the glass door with the ash. The ash is quite gritty but not hard enough to scratch the glass and would clear the black soot. After this, clean the door with a damp kitchen tissue then a dry one the glass is cleaned without chemical.
Thats how we were told to clean ours by the Clearview the supplier. It works. Not an old wives tale.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Wet newspaper....the Times works best.....(He He)
nil illegitimum carborundum

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Another vote for wet kitchen towel, ash and polish off with a dry piece of kitchen towel.
Can't afford newspapers. :lol:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:14 pm

costakid wrote:
Torrox_campo wrote:I have 2 wood burners (using for 5 years) in England and 1 (using last winter) here in Spain; to clean the glass doors, I use a damp kitchen tissue, dabbing to the ash to load it then wiping the glass door with the ash. The ash is quite gritty but not hard enough to scratch the glass and would clear the black soot. After this, clean the door with a damp kitchen tissue then a dry one the glass is cleaned without chemical.
Thats how we were told to clean ours by the Clearview the supplier. It works. Not an old wives tale.
Another Clearview stove owner here. And the ash is a free and efficient way to clean the glass without any cost.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Tehisu Chimeneas in Velez Malaga sell a spray cleaner which literally dissolves the carbon build up and it then simply rinses off with water. It is obviously a solvent or acid and I wish I could find out what it is because I'm sure it would be available to buy cheaper. Are there any chemists out there who know a solvent for carbon?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 am

As I said earlier, cheap foam oven cleaners do that. Spray on, leave 2 minutes and wipe off with a wet rag. You don't need Mr Muscle, just buy the supermarket own brand. We get very heavy deposits sometimes and it is always shifts them.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 pm

I found that though the sprays were very effective, the dissolved black residue would immediately run down the glass & drip all over the floor :-( - - a friend recommended the thicker liquid sold in supermarkets for cleaning glass hobs, which works pretty well, but perhaps using a bit more elbow grease ;-).

You pays your money, and makes your choice !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:31 pm

I can slide the glass out of the door and clean it in the sink! No drips!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:59 pm

chrissiehope wrote:I found that though the sprays were very effective, the dissolved black residue would immediately run down the glass & drip all over the floor :-( - - a friend recommended the thicker liquid sold in supermarkets for cleaning glass hobs, which works pretty well, but perhaps using a bit more elbow grease ;-).

You pays your money, and makes your choice !
As I said, buy the foam spray oven cleaner. It foams up when you spray it on and does not drip.

As for taking the glass out, that takes far too long if you need to do it daily.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Sid, the stuff I was talking about isn't a spray, it's more like Jif (of Cif as it's called these days !), a thick cream. Never tried oven cleaner, probably should have - the sprays we used to get from Leroys would sometimes foam but usually dripped... which is why we moved on to the glass cleaner ;-)
Sadly for me, it's all academic now, as the casa is on the market :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:38 pm

The best way to keep the glass clean is to burn the fire hot enough so that there are no deposits left on the door. A simple wipe with a damp cloth is then all that is required.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:03 am

We used to have a Clearview which did live up to its name during the day, but when we shut it down overnight to keep the fire in, it would be pitch black and very difficult to clean. It also depends on the wood you burn, how well seasoned it is and the type, as to how much deposit there is on the glass.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:16 am

I use a paint scraper . . the type you can put new blades in when necessary. I think I've gone through about three blades in 10 years. I know someone who tried to clean the glass on her woodstove with a damp cloth and the glass cracked. I burn olive wood and keep the fire ticking over 24 hours a day in January and February. The glass door does get black and I give it a quick scrape over when I empty the ash.