Cringeworthy

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Cringeworthy

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:58 am

I really do 'cringe' at the constant display of Arrogance and Smugness offered by so Many Brits with regard to their idea of the 'perfect person' who has to be excellent at language skills and correctness and not drive an 'old banger' or have holes in their socks to be considered a worthy citizen.
What has happened to compassion and caring, and moral support ?
May I suggest that to 'blend in' and integrate anywhere ,that it is much better to offer a little praise and thoughtfulness and help anyone who may be in difficulty .
What chance has the human race of surviving with so much Apathy flowing in all societies.? :(

To live happily in Spain please forget that you were once a Colonel or Corporal and now you are just another Expat.... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Cringeworthy

Postby ashtondav » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:09 am

???

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 am

c
onstant display of Arrogance and Smugness
followed by:
so much Apathy
I would have thought the two were mutually exclusive? :lol: :lol:
nil illegitimum carborundum

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

"ashtondav" ??? .....
Sorry if you don't understand my message Dave,perhaps I'm being a little cryptic.

I'm just trying to point out there is always so much negativity shown here on the forum and in Expat communities with regard to 'newcomers' and residents who are struggling to survive, I just wanted to share my thoughts...

Regards,
Gordon

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 am

Benidorm, surely a classic example of "smugness and arrogance" is British Immigrants in Spain calling themselves "expats"! I fear you fall into that trap!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 am

BENIDORM wrote: I'm just trying to point out there is always so much negativity shown here on the forum and in Expat communities with regard to 'newcomers' and residents who are struggling to survive, I just wanted to share my thoughts...

Regards,
Gordon
Gordon I'm not aware of negative comments towards existing residents who may now be struggling. People have just been honest and realistic in their advice to newbies who want to come here but without much prospect of work and with little money behind them. Are you having a bad day :) ?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 pm

I think what you mean Gordon is..Those who are up their own backsides...
This forum includes all types of personalities & I suppose that helps to keep it interesting.. however I can relate to your post & im one of those whose spelling and punctuation skills are not perfect and because there have been past comments regarding members spellings etc I of do find myself trying to go over my posts checking for mistakes Incase someone makes comment..
I joined the forum for much the same reasons as most and it defiantly wasn't to be judged on my writing skills...
As for arrogance and smugness? When we were holiday makers and not property owners we often encountered arrogance and smugness as well as unfriendliness from those Brits in Spain who owned property and lived there...We own a campo house & we feel privileged but there will always be someone who will turn their nose up at that...Am I bothered? Not one bit..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Pamela1 wrote:When we were holiday makers and not property owners we often encountered arrogance and smugness as well as unfriendliness from those Brits in Spain who owned property and lived there...
We never encountered that here and it was the friendliness of everyone that was an attraction to this area. When I am in the supermarket I often help Brits struggling to understand the veggie weighing machine in Mercadona and people have overheard that we are English and have asked us what something in Spanish means, we are happy to help.

France was an odd place as the Brits there were very offhand. When we first moved there and were trying to understand the pricing of something in the supermarket I asked an English couple for help and they only spoke to me in French (they were obviously unaware I had clearly overheard their English conversation earlier). It was about a year before we discovered that the lady that ran the local wine store was English and that was because she was chatting away to some other Brit. We didn't mind too much as we wanted to practice our French as few locals spoke any English, but she never broke into English on the occasions we were struggling to explain what we wanted.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Oh... Woe is Me..Misunderstood and Unloved .... :cry:
But I can't be responsible for the fact that you are not all gifted with Dyslexia.. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I do appreciate the positive and understanding words written by some . :thumbup:

Wicksey asked me if I'm having a 'bad' day , well No I never have a 'bad' day, but some days are better than others...!

I'm certainly not knocking the advice offered to newbies by forum members, however often given in good faith not all of it is correct.

When we opened our first Spanish business in 1990 I had to put up with lots of negative comments from Brit residents and visitors alike, they told me repeatedly that I wouldn't last '5' minutes and you will never be able to sell that in Spain type comments.
Well 'Red Rag to a Bull' , it just made me even more determined to make it a success and it was, and the only reason that we 'moved on' was when we lost a family member in an accident, and at that point,didn't think it worth carrying on with the business.

I was a little 'rattled' the other day when in a restaurant I overheard a conversation with some visiting 'Brits' who continually delivered character assassinations and generally 'knocked' everyone who lived inland or on the campo, quite derisory comments made.
They didn't know that a 'Brit' was listening until I got up to leave and they had red faces when I explained that I now live in a small village inland, but had lived at the coast in a big villa with a large swimming pool and tennis court for many years and hated it !!!.

So I apologise to anyone who does't understand what I'm trying to say...

Regards,
Gordon....

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Benidorm said
"Oh... Woe is Me..Misunderstood and Unloved"

Don't worry Gordon you are still loved :wave:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Pamela1,
Thank you. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Totally agree with you Benidorm, i have never liked the attitude in people who feel the need to sneer at others to make themselves feel better,its pretty sad, a little compassion and thoughtfulness can go along way and it doesnt cost anything.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:35 pm

I get my grammar wrong on forums and couldnt give a monkeys. But I would never knowingly be rude to anybody. Please let me know in no uncertain terms if I do. Yes I have seen rudeness on forums. One in particular makes andalucia.com look like angels.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:30 pm

"i wont say i'm better than you are an maybe I am.. I only know when I look in the mirror I like the man"

randy newman song, i'm different... brilliant...