the new government

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ashtondav
Resident

the new government

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Not a lot said yet on this forum but i'm betting on higher levels of tax and CGT at the very least.

Making sure i stay in (relatively) low tax UK and visit less than 6 months.

Now had they introduced a flat 10% tax for all new tax residents for 10 years i'd have ditched the uk and moved lock stock and barrel to SPain.

Funny old world.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: the new government

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm

The proposed income and capital gains taxes will only apply to people with more than a 6 figure income.

Sid

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 am

I think the reason you'll not see much on here is because we don't think it'll impact very much on most of us. There's not a huge difference in the tax situation between UK and Spain. People get confused because for example the personal allowance in Spain for a pensioner is only €6,700 whereas in UK it's £12,500. However, it's a bit more complicated than that in Spain e.g. there's an additional €2,000 allowance in Andalucia anyway and then there's special allowances for low income earners or pensioners. I'm not sure exactly how this works but there is additional allowance for low income and it works on a sliding scale up to €14,450, so in essence if you earn around €12,000 you pay little or no tax.

Obviously still a higher tax regime than UK but for us it's offset by the lower cost of living and the health benefits of an outdoor lifestyle.
We certainly are not concerned and irrespective of whatever might change there's no chance of us returning to UK. (just watched the weather forecast for UK lol)
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:14 pm