Solar central heating

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
casaalba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Solar central heating

Postby casaalba » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Has anyone installed solar panels to power their central system? We live near Monda inland from Marbella. Thanks in anticipation.

knowal
Resident

Re: Solar central heating

Postby knowal » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:20 pm

The problem would be having sufficient power and battery storage to provide sufficient kWH for heating purposes. Even if you heat only one room you are likely to need a 2-3 kW heater in cold weather and to do the whole house, much more.
Of course, in winter, there is less power in the sun and more cloudy days, so getting the required amount of power is mathematically problematic.
You could do it in the summer, but nobody needs heating then!

sublimar
Tourist

Postby sublimar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Have you thought about installing a heat pump? I know a company in Marbella that makes installations with aerothermal heat pumps for radiators, underfloor heating, etc

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Yes, a heat pump is a good option but it will still need a large amount of Kw to drive it. We have mains powered electric underfloor heating and the total energy requirement if all sectors were on is 17Kw. You would need a field full of PV panels to provide that. A water based system would suffer from similar problems. Heating a pool with solar is easy but central heating is an entirely different problem.

It all depends on how big the house is and how much of it needs heating.

Sid

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Does your underfloor system use a heat pump, Sid?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 pm

No, it's mains powered.

Sid

casaalba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby casaalba » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. To explain in more detail. I had an oil fired central heating system throughout the finca and this is now been made redundant. I want a solar panel set up to then store electricity to heat hot water to pump through the central heating system to be used when necessary. Hoping for more suggestions and recommendations to help me achieve running from room to room especially in winter. Thanks TIA.

casaalba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby casaalba » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks all who replied. Sublimar, What is the name of the firm in Marbella, I could look them up when next in Spain?

sublimar
Tourist

Postby sublimar » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:12 am

As I mentioned by private message and in case anyone else needs information or a quote, they can contact Diego or Manuel from Climanova Marbella (more info, sorry about the link but it's where they explain how the system works) they installed the air conditioning in my house and they work a lot with heat pumps