Changing Residencia Nationality

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gerrynag
Resident

Changing Residencia Nationality

Postby gerrynag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:40 am

I have applied for and obtained an Irish passport. Does anyone know the procedure for changing your nationality from British to Irish on your Residencia?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Changing Residencia Nationality

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Think it depends on where you are as normal. Some have to apply from scratch. There was a poster on here who did the change in the last 6 months or so.there was a thread about it. A search should bring it up

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:14 pm

It's an interesting one. Knowing the Spanish funcionarios, they won't know what to do, either, so they'll make it up, probably to your disadvantage.
If you have your certificate in carácter"Permanente", (link), then you are probably best to leave it as it is.
Otherwise just produce your Irish passport with the green form or card, should validate you as an "EU citizen" after the end of the Brexit transition period.

The other interesting question is whether you have actually changed your nationality by receiving an Irish passport, or whether you have dual nationality at this point.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Irish passports are only issued to irish citizens, also if you have an Irish parent, which I have, you are automatically an Irish citizen, which is something I didn't realise until I applied for the passport. So have dual citizenship.
I have only been in Spain for 3 years, so have not got permanent residency, which is why I want to change my recidencia to state nationality to Irish.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:01 pm

https://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sh#p388102

This was the thread i was thinking of

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks, but managed to find it myself. I have PM the guy and am waiting for a reply.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 pm

I have now changed my Residencia from British to Irish, fairly straightforward, just really needed my Irish and British passports with copies and my existing Residencia card.
The only slight concern was that the woman doing it implied that I might have to inform the Tax authorities, trafico regarding my Spanish driving licence, the Pardon, etc, that I had changed nationality. I was a bit inclined to ignore this, as I can't see how it affects your driving licence, taxes, I was going to ask my lawyer when he does my taxes next year, not sure about Padron.
I wanted if anyone who had swapped from British to Irish had had similar information and who they had informed about the nationalty change?

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:48 pm

I've been a bit unsure about this. Qe were both born in Northern Ireland so have dual nationality but when we tried some time ago to change it from UK to Irish it was problematic. We were told we had to start from scratch i.e. any years residence before didn't count as they would treat us a different people.
I could sort of understand this but I pointed out we would have the same Ni numbers and had been doing tax returns etc but it made no difference so we decided to leave it as it would only cause complications.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Sorry what do you mean your years residencia doesn't count?
As far as I understand, when you change the nationality for the Residencia, all that happens if they give you a new card, (which states Irish instead of British), which I have now got. They also update their database to reflect that, so I won't need to change to a TIE card next year like all the other Brits.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Unfortunately that wasn't what happened at the Almeria Oficina de Extranjeros . They said if we anted to change nationality we would have to apply as if we had only just arrived i.e. a completely new application. Any history as residents (we had been registered for 6 years) would not count.
We had a very good translator with us (a gestor we knew) who argued the case but was told the rules had changed whilst we were at the desk lol
She was so upset as she had promised us it would be a smooth transition, that she refused to accept a fee for accompanying us.

I see no point in trying again and indeed I don't think it will make much difference as we can travel with out Irish passports if we wish.

We don't travel back much anyway.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

I took all my paperwork just in case, but all she wanted to see was my UK and Irish passports. As I said, just a different card and change on their database.
Maybe, if you try again, might get someone who knows what they are doing.

paultaylor
Tourist

Postby paultaylor » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 am

Gerry, thanks for this info. Am in almost the same situation and didn't think that I would need to change it but it will probably be a good idea.

Can I ask where you went exactly? The last time I needed to update mine (change of address), I went to the old police station in Torre del Mar.

And can I also double check what I will need to take, EU Passport and photocopy, UK Passport and photocopy and NIE? Is that it?

Thanks for your reply!

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi,
I booked an appointment at the new Police Station in Torre del Mar.
I took the two passports and copies, with existing Residencia card + copy, plus EX18 form + copy and Tasa form (paid) + copy, but also took all the stuff I would need if I was applying for Residencia for the first time, i.e. proof of income and my health card + copy. They didn't look at income or health stuff.