HITS MOBILE

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: HITS MOBILE

Postby patricia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:43 pm

No I am not in the UK now nor have I been for some time. However I have just spoken to them on the phone and they have said that it was not for data roaming but just for data which is why I was charged.

Very very frustrating to say the least as I have checked the phone and for some reason the new phone had the date roaming switched on whereas my other little phone I have just checked and the data roaming is switched off.

I do not think that I am going to get anywhere with Hits at all. :thumbdown:

In the house I use my own internet and had put the password etc on my phone, so no idea when I was meant to use their data.

I had not even heard of it and so I can see how many people are caught out. :evil:

Thank you all for your replies and help. Most informative. I shall have to more care next time, but I will plug on and try to get my money back. Watch this space!! :problem:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:48 pm

Its not data roaming that you need to check patrica. theres two data options. Mobile data and data roaming. You just need to turn off mobile data. Which you will see when you pull down from the top. Which ever phone you put your hits SIM in,if its a smartphone you need to make sure you turn mobile data off

Your apps on your phone use data (only a very small amount) even if you arent using your phone. The apps in your playstore also need updating quite regulary. If you go into the playstore app and then settings it will show you how your apps are updated. Using €80 is alot so check to see if its says that your apps are updated via mobile data. If so turn that off and just tick the "to be updated over wifi only. You then need to turn on your phones wifi so it can connect to your home wifi and it can update that way.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Smart phones are designed to allow access to the Internet, either using WiFi or via the cellular phone network. It would be ridiculous to sell them with the data option switched off by default. That would cause far more problems that the norm of setting up with it switched on by default.

As had been said by many, your problem has nothing to do with data roaming which is normally not available unless specifically requested.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:08 pm

That's good point. Many of us might have forgotten that these days you have to activate data roaming. I certainly had.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Many mobile companies are pretty mean with the amount of data you get and the cost of extra data can be very high.

Movistar seems to be very generous. I have a Fusion contract which gives me 5gb of data shared by two phones. At the end of last year they increased that to, I think 20gb, free. Now, because of the need to communicate because of the virus, they have just given me an extra 60gb free. Sadly my monthly usage is less than 1gb.

It’s a pretty generous ‘gift” and it doesn’t automatically charge you at the end of the fee offer.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Unless you are streaming when out and about theres not a huge need to have massive amounts of data. Making a 20 min whatsapp call doesnt use much at all. I was surprised.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:09 pm

I'm with Vodafone and, surprisingly, the data used by Whatsapp doesn't come out of my data allowance.
Originally had a 2GB a month allowance which as been upped, at no extra cost, in steps to 6GB a month which is more than adequate for my needs.
Most months use less than 1GB.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:34 am

Yeah some networks have a deal interms of whatsapp. Same in the uk.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:06 am

elusive wrote:Its not data roaming that you need to check patrica. theres two data options. Mobile data and data roaming. You just need to turn off mobile data. Which you will see when you pull down from the top. Which ever phone you put your hits SIM in,if its a smartphone you need to make sure you turn mobile data off

Your apps on your phone use data (only a very small amount) even if you arent using your phone. The apps in your playstore also need updating quite regulary. If you go into the playstore app and then settings it will show you how your apps are updated. Using €80 is alot so check to see if its says that your apps are updated via mobile data. If so turn that off and just tick the "to be updated over wifi only. You then need to turn on your phones wifi so it can connect to your home wifi and it can update that way.
Yes I have switched that off now. My problem was that I had no idea that I had the choice of internet with Hits. When I first started using their service I was referred to them by Telitec so knew little about them and have never received any email or notifications from them at all. I use the mobile very little as I choose to use my fixed phone and as for the internet I am with Axertel so naturally when I started to received so much date on my phone, it was almost non stop I thought that it was Axertel's service. I didnt give Hits a thought because the only service that I contracted with them was for phone calls and text. So naturally not realizing my bill was just going up and up.

It was only when I looked at my bank account I saw that Hits and taken a 80 euros out of my account but I could not work out why. I phoned them and the told me it was for data. I still didnt know what that meant as I already have an internet provider and it isnt them. But of course now I gather that it is automatic so I cannot have data on or my phone with my own internet provider.

However that doesnt worry me because I do not want to use the internet outside, however I have downloaded the Wattsapp so if I do not have the data on I presume I cannot use that either. But that doesnt really worry me because as I say I use my fixed phone, all calls are free all over Europe and I have a very good deal with Axertel both for phone and internet. I may now look into their mobile service and move from Hits as I am feeling very disappointed with their service.

I am not that technical minded and obviously if I had known I would have turned the data off, but I didnt and so I have paid a heavy price for ignorance a) of not knowing that Hits supplied the internet even if you do not want it! and b) not knowing about turning off or on the Data on the mobile phone.

Anyway thank you for all your help and advice in respect of this problem which has rather hit me in the pocked. I do feel that you should be warned about such a service especially have I have not asked for it and only thought that I was using their mobile service just including calls and text.

Who on earth wants to pay 30 euros in one day for data I do not want!! :evil:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:53 am

Yes your home internet is different to your phone. Some companies like moviestar do a deal where you get your home internet and they give you a mobile aswell. But the data you get given with your phone is seperate to your home one. You can use whatsapp in your home if you turn your wifi on and connect to your home network that way. Good luck with things.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you very much for your support and all your information elusive. I am a lot wiser :thumbup: but a bit short in the pocket department! :(

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 pm

yeah its not nice at all. It leaves a very bitter taste

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Indeed elusive it has left a very nasty taste in my mouth so I shall be shifting from Hits as they have not even had the decency to respond to my emails and the operators just cut me off. :evil:

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm

To be fair, I don't think you can blame HITS. It's not really their job to tell you to turn off data, if you don't need it. How would they know ? I don't think any other mobile company would have told you either. Though, do agree that their communications with you could have been better and more polite. I think it comes down to your lack of knowledge about how a smartphone works. You know a bit more now, unfortunately you have had to pay quite a lot for that knowledge.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm

To a certain degree you are right. However I had absolutely no idea that they supplied the internet. I just thought they were a phone company. The reason being was that I had been with a company prior and all they supplied was phone calls. It could be different now of course because I moved to Telefonica so that I could have the internet and then I got fed up with the ever escalating bills so I changed to a private company for the internet and to Telitec for phone calls. They then suggested Hits for my mobile, so all in all I didnt have a clue and did not receive any communications from them to say they supplied the internet so didnt give it a thought at all and it wasnt until - as you know - that I purchased a smart phone and the comminications didnt stop. I thought it was my own internet provider so I wasnt worried until I saw my bill with Hits!! I mean 30 euros in one day. Even if, yes, it is my own fault, lack of knowledge. I was clueless about "data" didnt give it a thought.

But who on earth would want to spend 30 euros in one day to pay for the internet. I mean their charges are eye watering. God knows how much it would have been if I had not noticed money going from my account. Could have gone to 100's of pounds.

Indeed I have paid, but it would have been helpful to have had more knowledge about the company and have received emails about their services etc. I might have even chosen them if I had known they supplied the internet, but I didnt.

Yes an expensive mistake.

Thanks for you communication. :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:50 pm

The thing is none of us would want to pay 30 euros per day for 4G internet use. Having said that, many of use regularly review the service we have.
Martin Lewis, the guy on the TV, never stops talking about the benefits o this
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/

Smart phones won't work properly if they are not connected. In effect, apart from a couple of features they are not smart unless they are online.
Basically very few people these days don't understand this and most understand the benefits of being connected when you are out and about. It's very easy for those not in the know to assume that when someone is typing furiously with their tongue out into their phone, they are just chitchatting uselessly but I can assure you it has been very helpful to many professionals as well.
An interesting article here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52052502

My suggestion would be to look at how much you pay on average monthly on pay as you go and see if there is a monthly contract at a lower or similar price. If there is, it will avoid unnecessary shock when the bill arrives such as the one you had. In Spain the monthly charges tend to be lower than the UK due to the fact that deals don't tend to be packaged with phones.

I think in the UK I would renew my phone as I renew my contract while here I buy my phone which allows me to change my contract as and when I see a better offer. I have to do this because my own provider is constantly changing their prices so I review every six months to improve my deal with them without having to move to another company.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 pm

My suggestion would be to look at how much you pay on average monthly on pay as you go and see if their is a monthly contract at a lower or similar price. If there is, it will avoid unnecessary shock when the bill arrives such as the one you had.
------------------
I agree. Hits for example do 100 mins and 3gb of internet for around €5 a month. Not that you would want to stay with them but it gives you an idea of how cheap the prices are. Tbh if you dont want to use the internet on a phone at all and just want it to make calls you might aswell stick to an old style normal one.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 pm

I must admit, I am a bit surprised that you didn't know you had the internet with your package. Surely when you choose the HITS package it specifies if you have the internet. I have had a HITS PAYG package and it certainly specified how much data and minutes I had.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:58 pm

A standard PAYG doesnt have mins and internet included though. You pay for what you use based on per min or per M.B of usage either by credit that you put on your phone by getting top ups in a shop or by an automatic top up thats more like a direct debit. A monthly contract has x amount of mins/data included. The O.P didnt realise the mobile data function was turned on on her phone.never used the net but I presume the bill came from apps automatically updating??

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 am

Hello Mark,

"Smart phones won't work properly if they are not connected. In effect, apart from a couple of features they are not smart unless they are online.
Basically very few people these days don't understand this and most understand the benefits of being connected when you are out and about. It's very easy for those not in the know to assume that when someone is typing furiously with their tongue out into their phone, they are just chitchatting uselessly but I can assure you it has been very helpful to many professionals as well.
An interesting article here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52052502"

I have no desire to be connected outside of the house. I wanted the phone for the camera and for the volume when people call. I have no problem receiving calls with the date and Wifi turned off. I am sure it is helpful. But I dont want it. I have it in the house and that is enough for me.

I hardly use the mobile for calls. I mainly text and use my landline. It is useful when I am on a trip which I organise in case people get lost. I may look in the future for a good deal but at the moment I am not worried about using the internet outside of the house at the moment and it wasnt my reason for purchasing the phone.

I have had no problem whatsoever with Hit over the years and it is very cheap as I hardly ever use it myself except to text.

But thanks anyway.