Water filtering for calcium and sediment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Water filtering for calcium and sediment

Postby olive » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi

Our campo tap water is lovely but we have noticed that we are getting sediment blocking nozzles on taps and so on. Has anyone got any suggestions for a cost effective solution - maybe a settling tank/canister, electric curent device or heaven forbid an inline Brita filter affair ( I've seen a monstrous three canister affair at Leroy Merlin)? Presumably I can also expect the washing machine element to fur up as well before too long? Any suggestions welcome.

olive

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:12 pm

Just fit a water softener and your problems will be solved. It is the only viable solution. Filters do not remove calcium and the electric (magnetic) units cannot deal with the high levels effectively.

We have one on a "campo" water supply which is very very hard and it takes out all the calcium.

Budget on about 1000 euros installed.

Sid

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:15 am

Can't help with a filter, but I always add an anti-cal tab to the washing machine every time I use it. So far so good (2.5years!)

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Britta filter

Postby meseta » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:08 pm

We've been using a britta filter type jug for our drinking water and it seems a very cost effective solution. It works for us !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm

I have often wondered about the high cal content in the water here. We had a similar situation about 8 years ago where we used to live. Strangely 4 out of 7 owners in that lane suffered from kidney stones. This included my husband who has never had problems since we moved. Maybe just coincidence, not sure.

JJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby JJ » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:35 pm

We had a sand filter fitted on our pump which removes the stuff that clogs up the taps and the washing machine. The water then comes out much cleaner. I still use Calgon tabs in the washing machine though. We then filter our drinking/cooking water through a Britta jug. This does remove the calcium and we've noticed a difference in so far as our kettle isn't furring up and we don't get scum in our cups.