Glasses second hand car price guide - In Spain ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Martin Page
Resident

Glasses second hand car price guide - In Spain ?

Postby Martin Page » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:26 am

Hi Guys

Is there a definitive equivalent guide to second hand car prices (such as Glasses Guide- Black book ) out there in Spain

.... And equally where would I get a copy.

From what Ive seen of the second hand car market in Spain its 'Caveat Emptor ' and let the best man win ! - Or am I being too cynical ?

festival
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Glasses second hand car price guide - In Spain ?

Postby festival » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:41 am

From what Ive seen of the second hand car market in Spain its 'Caveat Emptor ' and let the best man win ! - Or am I being too cynical ?[/quote]

I think you got that right in one

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:27 pm

take the book price and double it, and you might be somewhere near.

there is no "book" that i am aware of :(
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Having too many babies has left us needing to buy an MPV. We've looked around locally and the prices are outrageous. You can buy a top of the range, brand new MPV in the States for less than the price of a very basic second-hand one here.

Is it worth looking into buying one abroad (second-hand) and importing it or will the taxes just bring the total cost in line with Spanish prices?

Please let us know if you locate the elusive 'book'. The closest I've come is a guide in the back of one of the car magazines that had estimated prices for new and second-hand (up to three years old) vehicles. Sorry I can't remember the name of the magazine but you should be able to flick through and find the one with the guide in a decent sized newsagents.

Kelly

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:28 pm

i *believe* importation is around 1000 euros. so if you can find one, get it here, and swap the plates.. it may work out cheaper ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Kelly4 wrote:Having too many babies has left us needing to buy an MPV...
Kelly, I seriously doubt your claim regarding car prices in the USA, my cousin, who lives in New york has just paid 55000 dollars for a new 4x4, thats about 50000 Euros, you can buy a 2 year old Range Rover from Germany for less than 25000 Euros.

I dont get this importation thing, I mean if you live in England don't you drive an English car, having said that I'm importing a car from England into Spain, but it is unique, and LHD so in this case the import is justified.
We will be buying a normal car for daily use and up to now the best I've seen is a 99 Renault Grand Espace for less than 6 thousand euros, I wouldn't say that was outrageous!

In my opinion if you have to quibble about the expense of a basic requirement such as a car then you should seriously re-evaluate your future in Spain, as far as I can see it's probably going to cost us at least the same or more, than living in the UK but we woudn't even be considering the move if it meant financial hardship.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:22 pm

Kelly have you looked at the Kia Carousel there is/was a dealer in La Linea. You should be able to google for a dealer in your area. We have had a Kia Sedona the 'english' version (they are actually all manufactured in Korea) for 5 years now and we are more than happy with it. It has taken us to Spain three times and also to Romania.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 am

I bought my car from a car hire firm. I first bought the second had magazines for both the UK and also for Spain and compared prices and I actually got the car for a lot cheaper then what was the recommended price for second hand cars in UK and Spain. I have never had any problem witht the car. When I bought it, it was a year old - they sell them on after a year or so - I have had it six years now and have driven it to the UK and back three times and have never broken down. Had very little problems with the car, have it service once a year and thats it. It even got me through a snow storm when I decided on a short cut over the mountains heading towards France :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

car prices

Postby julian » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 am

I´ve seen the dealers using a price guide, but don´t know if it´s available to the public.in the newsagents there is a guide available that has both new and used prices.one of them is called "Guia del comprador de coches"

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am

That sound the sort of thing that I'm looking for ......

Now - Can one of the forum Members obtain a copy (from a trader maybe) and act as a Price guru -

jwsp
Tourist

Postby jwsp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:19 am

I think its fair to say that here in Spain people don’t have a clue when it comes to pricing their cars for sale. There is an industry guide, not quite like Glasses, that tends to be held by dealerships giving what they consider as “trade” values for vehicles. I think it’s the same thing that’s used by insurance companies and by the Tax guys when assessing the value of a vehicle for write off or import duty. My experience does say that dealerships here on the coast will really want to buy it on the cheap, and mark it up with a very healthy margin.

I’m in the process of selling my Rav 4 (plug plug.. :D ) and am amazed at the variation in prices. Being the thorough chap I am I went along to the Toyota man who offered me 16k for it, but only if he could have it on his forecourt and pay once it had been sold! Umm, yeah right, like I’m funding your business mate! What made me slightly more peeved was the fact he had the same one, a year older and with twice the kms, up for sale at 21,500!
So, I spent ages looking through all the Spanish websites around the country and checking papers and magazines for values, even to the extent of checking the prices in the UK and Germany, France etc.
Values for Rav’s almost exactly the same as mine, maybe a year older or with more kms, ranged from 17k to 23k…..interesting when you consider its just 2 years old and they are only 25k new.
After all the research I priced it to sell, rather than look good in the paper, at 19k. I feel that’s a fair price given condition, age and the cost new. Plus, it makes it one of the cheapest ones in Spain as far as I can see, given what else is out there.

And you know what, despite all of this 6 weeks later its still not attracted even the slightest interest.
Makes me wonder if I sold it under value it might go, or in fact if the second hand market really does exist. Still, not being in a massive rush to get it gone I’d rather use it myself than take silly money for it.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 pm

Thats not just a Spanish thing though jwsp is it? New cars lose value very quickly over the first 2/3 years, infact if you want to pick up a bargain thats the sort to look out for, there are that many about. Maybe 16K wasn't an unfair valuation. Like people on here are always saying about the secondhand property market ' its worth what somebody will pay you for it'.

jwsp
Tourist

Postby jwsp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Don’t get me wrong Kevin77, I don’t have an issue with depreciation on a new car. I am (much to friends amusement) a confirmed Jag man, so I’m very in touch with how new cars loose value.

My point was this. If a dealer has the same model for sale, but older and with more kms for 21,500 mine would be priced on his forecourt around 22,500 one would assume. He wanted to buy mine at 16,000. I’m the first to argue people need profitability, but that’s just greed. A friend of mine in the UK who works for BMW said they only have around 2-2,500 mark up on their BM’s, so in my opinion that was a little OTT.

And my point re doing some research proved that in general both in the trade and from private sellers there was a massive disparity in pricing, some 6,000 euros for the same car. I still think mines a fair valuation, but take your point its worth what someone’s prepared to pay (as opposed to steal!!) for it.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Well that is exactly it - as stated above - cars lose their value so wait and buy one which is a year old or so and it is half the price. When I bought my car a new one was some 7,000 pounds more and mine was a year old when I bought it :lol:

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:21 am

I'ts worth considering that if you pay say 5000€ for a car new, then after only one year, considering that the VAT is already gone then the car is worth only32000€!

julian
Andalucia Guru

car prices

Postby julian » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:25 am

where can I buy a car like that? I´m off to buy one now !!!! :wink:

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 am

Thanks for your advice...especially Safeashouses...will look into the Kia.

And of course special thanks to Sad K. What a pleasant manner you have. I don't recall asking for advice about whether my relocation to Spain was a good idea but thanks very much in any case for your inane comments.

Kelly

Sad K

Postby Sad K » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:32 pm

Kelly4 wrote:Thanks for your advice...especially Safeashouses...will look into the Kia.

And of course special thanks to Sad K. What a pleasant manner you have. I don't recall asking for advice about whether my relocation to Spain was a good idea but thanks very much in any case for your inane comments.

Kelly
Kelly 4. Many people don't realise what trauma is caused to their children by their parents selfishnesh I was making the point that if you care about your family then you should be able to buy a decent car for them, cost shouldn't be a factor, if you can't arent'you putting their lives at risk!!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:29 pm

OOOyyyeeee - Children - stop squabbling .... Tut tut !

I don't have any British neighbours where I live - There is a totally different attitude to second hand things. In that they have a buy for keeps type view. One neighbour has his last 4 cars at the bottom of his garden (all dead) with over 50years of motoring memories.

The point that I'm possibly getting to is the concept of 'secundo mano' does not exist to the Spaniard - It is an import from the UK that is being catered for by the 'smarter' local ....

Around the Cadiz, Chiclana, Jerez, districts you don't see second hand car lots ..... Just the main agents.
They start once you pass Gib and drive up to Malaga

I just want to be able to buy with confidence that I'm getting the maximum value for money - which will certainly be second hand, cos of the IVA - but should it be less that 6 month, 1 year or 2 years old .... without a price guide I'm in 'Stitch the Brit' country.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 pm

My sincere apologies to the rest of the forum for boring you with an off-track debate. I don't usually allow myself to bite so easily but....

Sad K, as a Child Psychologist and a loving parent, I think I am in a very good position to judge whether my children will be traumatised by my choice of MPV. As for putting their lives at risk, I thought I made it clear that I was thinking of importing a brand new car in favour of paying the same price for a second-hand model in Spain. Given that new cars tend to come with more safety features as standard than older models, my children are likely to be safer. You really should take the time to read people's posts thoroughly before jumping to conclusions.

Martin, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. We will be going with a Spanish friend to buy our car. Might be the only way for you to avoid paying a special "johnny foreigner price". We live in Cordoba province and there are a fair few second-hand dealerships around. Apparently, second-hand cars here hold their value more than they do in the UK so nearly new bargains might be harder to find.

Also, I have been able to get a good idea of prices from the on-line car dealerships. You usually need to put in Madrid or Barcelona as your location to get a decent selection of cars to compare but at least it gives you an idea of what different models will cost second-hand. Good luck....let us know how you get on.

Kelly