LINEKERS Bar in Banus charging entrance ONLY to the Spanish?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
daneinspain
Resident

LINEKERS Bar in Banus charging entrance ONLY to the Spanish?

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 am

When in Puerto Banus last night we basically we found out they try to charge spanish people 10€ for coming in and impose a 20 minute time limit and foreigners are allowed to come in for free and stay as long as they please.

This is not only a disgraceful insult to the people of the the country we reside but racist discrimination. I am absolutely appaled and as Nat King Cole said: there may be trouble ahead....

crazyrhythm
Tourist

Postby crazyrhythm » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:30 am

It doesn't sound like a good place for any nationality!
But if it's a bar doesn't the owner have the ultimate say about who is allowed entrance etc? I'm not sure on that but I think that's how it works. How do they enforce the charge? Doormen? If Spaniards are charged are ALL other nationalites allowed in or just the ones the doormen like the look of? Did you actually see this in action?
I ask all the questions because a Spaniard once told me he had been discriminated against just like this in Gibraltar and it turned out to be something to do with standard of dress (I think he was shirtless) and nothing to do with nationality!

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:34 am

Owner does reserve the right to refuse entrance to anyone but not on the basis of race, nationality or colour but yes on the basis of being a known troublemaker, wearing the wrong attire. They enforce the charge by doormen yes, I actually asked the doorman and he confirmed that they only charge spanish people and impose a 20 minute time limit seeming quite pleased with himself. Yes I did see it in action as 2 spanish chaps came wanted to come in as I was discussing with the doorman and he asked them for 10€ each and they refused

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:59 am

It doesn't sound like a good place for any nationality!
Brits who don´t like the Spanish would appreciate it.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

crazyrhythm
Tourist

Postby crazyrhythm » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:17 pm

Silver, I don't know why Brits who "don't like the Spanish" want to be in Spain in the first place!

It does seem that restaurant/bar owners can refuse entry without needing to give a reason at all. At the end of the day I suppose it is their right to have only the people they want on their premises. Presumably they can also charge or waive an entrance fee as they want. The management would certainly deny it is based on the grounds of race/nationality and would definitely have something to say to their doorman who managed to be so indiscreet as to say so if they find out. There is probably nothing in writing that anyone could use against the owners so they would just deny it anyway.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:39 pm

try to charge spanish people 10€ for coming in and impose a 20 minute time limit and foreigners are allowed to come in for free and stay as long as they please.
I think this would have to do with the amount of money spent in the bar. Tourists would come in and drink all night spending large amounts of money - local Spanish people would come in for a single drink and stay for hours.

Its financial discrimination rather than racial

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:23 pm

Absolutely irrelevant, this is their country and treating them like this is absolutely disgusting. The fact of the matter is not many spanish people would go there anyway but its the principle of it. The place should be shut down and the owners deported

MiriamO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MiriamO » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:04 pm

Whether we like it or not, I think the bar management probably have the right to admit who they like, it is their property after all. They could probably specify only people over 6 feet tall if they so wished!
I once witnessed, in a Spanish bar, the owner telling two young Morrocan lads who were perfectly well dressed and polite that the bar was closed. This was despite people sitting at chairs and tables around the room and others sitting with fresh drinks at the bar. The lads left and the owner carried on serving "his" customers. I think it was the owner's way of saying he had no intentions of serving them and they took the hint. I'm sure they were used to it too. It would probably be impossible to prove this had happened without setting up some sort of operation, then they would be accused of a enticement and the evidence would be thrown out.
Easier just to stop using the bars in question probably.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:38 pm

daneinspain wrote:Absolutely irrelevant, this is their country and treating them like this is absolutely disgusting. The fact of the matter is not many spanish people would go there anyway but its the principle of it. The place should be shut down and the owners deported
The owner Wayne is already doing time (at her Majesty´s pleasure) in the UK for tax evasion!
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:26 pm

The right of admission is regulated by law.
art 59.1 e) del Real Decreto 2816/82, de 27 de agosto de 1982, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento General de Policía de Espectáculos Públicos y Actividades Recreativas.

QUEDA PROHIBIDA LA ENTRADA Y/O PERMANENCIA EN ESTE LOCAL A TODA PERSONA QUE:
Se encuentre en estado de embriaguez.
Porte cualquier objeto susceptible de causar daño a personas o cosas.
Porte o consuma cualquier tipo de drogas o cualquier tipo de sustancias psicotrópicas.
Falta de aseo personal.
Lleve indumentaria inadecuada a las exigencias de la empresa (tal como calzado y ropa deportiva, camisetas de tirantes o ropa en mal estado).
Alborotadores comprobados.
Provoque o incite cualquier desorden en la sala.

All/any of the above reasons for right to admit.. should be placed in a visible sign 30cm x 20cm min..on the door...(no debe constar alguna discriminatoria ni vejatoria.)

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:14 pm

crazyrhythm
Silver, I don't know why Brits who "don't like the Spanish" want to be in Spain in the first place!
Beats me :roll:
some do come just for the sun...think that they have "paid" for the entitlement to be here..expect everything to cost less..expect everyone to bow down to them..expect things to change to their advantage/liking..
some believe they are superior race from a superior country, more intelligent, advanced, cultural, charming, comprehensive and caring.... well ..just better... so why leave anyway
:?:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:18 pm

It sounds very unlikely story to me, unless for some reason they have been going in and not buying a drink. I thought you were a bit too snobbish to frequent places like this dump anyway, still you must have been hanging around to see the incident.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Katy, you are so right! How did he know? Why was he hanging around the bar? As if we really care! The highly principled poster seems to have an obsession about Brits in Spain! :(

snapdragon
Tourist

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:16 pm

Yes, that's true! On the other hand he could equally well change his name to "Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells" I suppose, or the Spanish equivalent...
Never having been to any bars on the Costa I take it this is not somewhere I would be taking friends I had planned to impress? If the story is true, I wonder how the bozos on the door would deal with anyone bi-lingual? Or, horror of horrors, a group comprising, as our group of friends are, of mixed Spanish and others? Probably implode with brain overload I suppose!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:33 pm

It sounds very unlikely story to me
This is Internet...and who knows what is true and what is not true.
Katy, you are so right!
well
masterob
sure does...
daneinspain
could be a danish man
masterob
could be a master at his "job"
katy
could be French
Its just a topic like all others..take it with a pinch of salt..
Would it have been a very unlikely story if it came from someone who called himself... Britinspain :?:

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:08 pm

Daneinspain, I agree totally with your opinions, it's outrageous and almost beyond belief, BUT, I have witnessed, more than once, spaniards, among others, buying soft drinks in bars then adding their own liquor, it may sound unbelievable but I assure you it's true, perhaps this is Linakers way of "dissuading" the spanish to use this particular bar, I do agree though it's an abhorrent practice and actually degrading to the owners that they feel the need to act in this way,on the other hand they do have a fine to pay :wink:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:22 pm

The places I choose to frequent or why I was there is neither here not there. But I went to play pool as my usual place was full.

Back to the topic, if anyone doesnt believe me feel free to go and find out on your own. The fact that some spanish may do that cannot justify discrimination against a whole nation particularly the nation in which you live. Imagine pakistanis opening a club in england and charging only the english to enter?

I have many spanish friends and they dont bring their own liqour and even if they did it wouldnt justify it nor would any other excuse.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:52 pm

Hey Dane, back off, I'm on your side I'm just looking at it from another perspective :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:38 pm

Little wonder he has such a bad opinion of the Brits if he frequents places like this. Never any comment about your own compatriots in Denmark, a place not without its problems so I hear :!:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Why do people insist on taking things personally and making this personal or nationalistic debate?

Back off? What constitutes such a response? I said nothing to offend.

As for me having a dislike for the English, this is untrue as I have English family and am very fond of many english people but as you brits will agree there are many, many particularly down here giving you all a bad name.

Again lets stay on topic.