What has become of Banus?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:14 am

I was born in Marbella and have lived here my whole life, now at the ripe age of 23 I must admit, though after years of denial Puerto Banus is disgusting, doesnt even have any really good restaurants, whereas it should have some of the best in the world and be full of nice places to go out instead its not much worse than benalmadena or fuengirola. Its a real shame particularly when you consider that can be taken as a reflection of the coast.

I blame low cost flights. In terms of going out the only places that are any good nowadays are the likes of Pangea's of Banus and Suite of Puente Romano who are a bit more strict as to who they let in their doors. For restaurants, the really good ones are dotted around the coast randomly.

For years Ive been searching in Marbella old town for a good place to go but other than the nice relaxing bars/coctel lounges like Havana and others near it I have found absolutely nothing. Anyone got any suggestions?
Last edited by daneinspain on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mark » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:40 am

Dane............get a cheap flight to the UK :lol:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 am

Id sooner shoot myself

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:42 pm

thats solved it then

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Id sooner shoot myself
We'll miss you! :lol:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:06 pm

Yes thats the problem, it's the cheap flights bringing all those "commoners" from those awful council estates in the UK.

:lol: :D :D

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:18 pm

To actually answer your mail.... try El Tanguito in the old Town. My favourite place to eat and drink that is not full of tourists is El Catalonia in the Puerto Deportivo. Great food, good wine and nice view of boats. Its our local...

julian
Andalucia Guru

marbella

Postby julian » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm

have you tried Bambina near the town hall in the old town?

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:12 pm

daneinspain wrote:Id sooner shoot myself
If I lend you a gun how will you get it back to me??

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 pm

Alpujarra wrote:Yes thats the problem, it's the cheap flights bringing all those "commoners" from those awful council estates in the UK.

:lol: :D :D
...but now particularly the Irish Republic as far as I casn see (hear). :)
Brian.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:17 am

I dont think I like the comment, commoners from those awful council estates in the UK. Apujarra is obviously from much higher stock. The whole of Spain is ready for the large influx of commoners as you call them who are looking forward to their annual 2 week holiday. Its not the people who downgrade these coastal areas but the shortsightedness of the developers who think that places like Banus can self sustain themselves without intervention from the so called commoners. If you want to see awful estates go no further than Malaga or indeed any other city in the world.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

MiriamO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MiriamO » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:50 am

Alpujarra isn't to blame for that one, it was a gentle dig at daneinspain who had used that expression on a previous thread!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:51 am

I think Alpujarra's re. council house people was a tongue in the cheek reponse to Danes many posts almost always refering to UK council house types. Don't these people prefer Fuengirola etc? Not many package hols to Marbella/banus. If you want to see yob culture its possible sometimes at Nikki beach when the bling-bling essex crowd are there throwing champagne around (remember the Harry Enfield character "loads of money")

The problem with Banus is that it has lost its exclusivety. Full of East Europeans, prostitutes, criminals, ex contestants from big Brother type shows and golfing parties getting drunk. The occasional celebrity wafts through for a photo opportunity. Its getting dangerous to walk through with the amount of cars where it should be traffic free. We moved our (small) boat from there to Cabopino port its much better.

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks for pointing that out guys, it was indeed a tongue in cheek remark about the nasty comment he made in another thread.
I have nothing against poeple who live on council estates whatsoever.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

I have nothing against people from council estates but use the term as a description of these loud, badly behaved english people here, it has nothing to do with how much money they have as many have lots of it but are still commoners. Again i dont use the word to describe or ridicule their financial status but their behaviour, manners and so forth.

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:32 pm

i think ultimately it's something you gotta live with dane......

we choose to live in a place that gets "invaded" by these types of people......

I don't believe it has anything to do with social class, instead feel problems are dervied from alchohol consumption......These people are here for a week or two to "have fun".... They drink from morning till night (and beyond) squeezing as much in as they can before it's back to the uk and another 50 weeks before they do it again

Only when drunk do they become, abusive, threatening *beep*!!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 pm

An old saying was "where there´s muck there´s money"..things have changed and so has the saying
Now its "where there´s money there´s muck"
:lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:49 pm

:lol: :lol: I like that! :lol: :lol:
Brian.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 pm

I think parking is the problem. The last time we went to Banus we couldn't get parked so we've never been back.

Developers have been allowed to build on every square inch of space. The once small village where we have an apartment has virtually no parking and local businesses especially restaurants are suffering.

Junta de Andalucia appear to be starting to get a grip on the developers but for some places it may be too little too late.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:24 am

daneinspain wrote:I have nothing against people from council estates but use the term as a description of these loud, badly behaved english people here, it has nothing to do with how much money they have as many have lots of it but are still commoners. Again i dont use the word to describe or ridicule their financial status but their behaviour, manners and so forth.
Maybe "chav" is the word you are looking for.