electrians/rewire?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 pm

The best tool I have seen for chasing walls out was from Jewsons(in the UK) It had two diamond encrusted "feet" that shuffled through the walls surface leaving you an easy job of chiselling out between. It made very little dust BUT was £1000 or you could hire it.

I have been trying to buy, with no success whatsover here in Spain, what is in effect a twin bladed angle grinder with a depth gauge. In a way I am glad as like Spanish Lad says the dust would be horrendous. What I have found works very well on a variety of surfaces is a tool for an SDS drill set on hammer chisel mode. The bit has a U shaped bit with a depth flange. They come in a variety of sizes and leave a channel exactly right for the black flexible tube. Makes it easy to gobber it in place with Yeso. Buy them from any fereteria or AKI type place.

olive

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:02 am

toddcl wrote: fantastic double diamond bladed wall chaser
Nice to see that a Double Diamond still works wonders........ :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:29 pm

olive

The one I got from Aldi for £40 also has a dust extractor cover that you attach to a vacuum and results in very little dust. Don't know how they can do them for this price as the blade are about £40 each to buy.

:wink:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Heston
Resident

electrician

Postby Heston » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:02 pm

You dont need any of these gadgets if you use a decent sparky they will do it all for you and chased into the walls is always better than surface mounted.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Well it sounds like a good tool to me. We bought a house to do up and sell a couple of years back here in UK. We were reccomended a spark to put a new sockets ring main in house with extra outlets. I left him to it and went out for day doing other things. I came back and could not bellieve it...........crap all over the place, chunks of plaster off all over and him swearing his head off saying the old wall rendering was like granite and a nightmare to get through :? All his chasing was p1ssed by the way.

He had also broken every floorboard he tried to lift....a complete ****.

I did one run while he was there my way, and lifted a few boards for him the proper way. Worked out well in the end as I did the hard graft and he put the wiring in. Job cost peanuts in the end.

It just amazes me how guys like this earn a living, and we're not allowed to touch things as we haven't paid for a certificate............similar to CORGI.............another rip-off :?

Kenny

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: electrician

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:28 am

Heston wrote:Hi you shouldnt pay anymore than 3000euros that includes all chased into the walls. I know a very good English sparky dwon the road from you did all my house has all certificated and is working legally!
I will send you a PM with his details I have recomended him to lots of people who are also happy :roll:
3 grand ? how many sockets is that ?? is that including everything, start to finish?

for a 2 bed villa, i would estimate around double that - we fitted 72 sockets to the last place...

campo kenny does it matter if the chases are not straight? surely the walls are going to be replastered afterwards ??

heston i'm the chasing machine round these parts ;) i prefer to chase with a 8" diamond disk on an electric angle grinder, do the chasing in one hit and then let it settle and sweep it out. its the only way...

beachcomber as far as i'm aware you cant get pull cord switches in spain. shaver sockets are 230v, there is no transformer in those. the lights in the bathroom are normally 12v, mirror lights are normally 230v, the bathroom socket is on 1.5mm2 cable so as not to allow it too much power. bathrooms are one a seperate breaker to everything else so they trip if anything gets wet and leave the rest of the house functional. we always put bathroom light switches on the outside wall.

you can do your own electrical installation, as long as it conforms to the standard and you get a bullatin from a registered electrician.

toddcl its not trunking, its tubing. it comes in 16mm, 20mm, 25mm black. there are bigger sizes but these are not for internal installations.

hillybilly we have seen the double cutters, but dont use them. theres alot of situations where a single tube will not do, its awkward, its easier to use a normal grinder.

campo kenny that is NOT normal, and would NOT pass a bullatin, i bet its only two strands ?? ie: no earth. :shock:

grouser no, they dont all have transformers.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:11 pm

grouser no, they dont all have transformers
Fair enough Spanish Lad point taken. Beachcombers explanation also enlightens me as to why you can plug a shaver straight into a normal socket with a two pin converter. However anyone fitting a shaver socket in a bathroom that doesn't have a transformer needs their head testing.

Strange that they don't do pull switches in Spain such a sensible solution. I had noticed that and brought some from England, including a pull switch lamp with a built in transformer controlled shaver socket.
Grouser

Heston
Resident

electrician

Postby Heston » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:58 pm

72 sockets in a two bed villa!!!!!!!!!!Did u have to inform the electric company!
I have a very large old cortijo approx 12 rooms on average 8 sockets in each rooms plus all the new light fittings think someone ripped you off mate!
All the chasing out was done and plastered when finished..I do live inland though so perhaps that makes a difference I know there are often two prices in Spain one on the coast and one inland.

Ps I even had a seperate circuit in that for my electric oven

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: electrician

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:15 pm

yes, 72 sockets. we fitted them, we only fit what people ask for, i wasn't ripped off at all ? and of course the electric company was informed, every new installation has to have a bullatin.

i live inland as well. we only really work inland.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm

It all depends on how much is charged per hour for labour too - you need to calculate the costs. Switches, sockets etc. are not too expensive to buy. Shop around but I personally would employ a Spanish person. British will most likely charge British rates.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Out of curiosity SL how did the positioning of the 72 sockets which the guy asked for break down room by room?

I think you can't have too many sockets but I struggle to guess why a 2 bedroomed house needed them and where they went.

Kenny

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 am

The customer was a gypo neighbour of SpanLads, Kenny.
Have you ever been in one of their caravans? - they are like palaces! 72 sockets is not unusual! 8)

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 am

I must say I thought it was a little excessive too - but perhaps they have a lot of gadgets in the bathrooms and kitchen :?: In any case the amount of sockets should not necessarily mean it will cost that much more, sockets are quite cheap to put in.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:06 pm

I have an apartment in Benalmádena which I bought off plan and when I asked for double sockets to be place at each socket location they wanted an extra €1.300.

I told them to forget it and did it myself with the help of an albañil for about €50.

Heston
Resident

elecrtician

Postby Heston » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 pm

The guy I used and recommend dosnt charge by the hour ( I personally dont like this way of working) He came out I told him what and where I wanted things then he quoted me this included all the materials socketts etc

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:20 pm

babbytheres no need to shop around when you get them at spanish wholesale rate ;)

to fit ONE extra socket i *think* the guy i work with charges 70€ to go out and do it, or 25€ if he's already there. a tad excessive i think.

layout of the sockets .. wow.. erm, i think there was..

lounge - 12, dining room 8, kitchen 14, bedroom 1 10, ensuite 1, bathroom 1, bedroom 2 6, study/third bedroom 6, boiler room 4, outside wall 4, pool house upper 6, pool house lower (filter etc) 6 ...

total 78 sockets ... more than i thought - i forgot the outside ones.

beachcomber we always fit double sockets around the house, single in the bathroom and single behind units in the kitchen etc, unless someone specifically asks for a single one.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Looks like bedroom 1 is the centre for some electrical entertainment? Have you been past at night and heard loud buzzing noises, moans? :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:33 pm

lol:D well they wanted 2 either side of the bed, electric clock and light they said... 2 under the dressing table, 2 above and 2 by the door of the ensuite. they've also got a ceiling light with 5 bulbs, and air con in the bedroom, then an electric powershower cubicle and 5 spotlights in the ensuite. thats nothing, in the main bathroom they've got a electric jacuzzi with a radio and tv in it!!! they can watch sky in the bath !

how the other half live eh.. and its not even in marbella, its a campo house in coin !!!

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnwp » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi ref rewiring, 2 friends just had there house rewired by a polish team dad and son, and sank all leads , messy but looks great now. Yes they had to get Spanish guy to certify it and no problem, there house is 5 bedroom and old, huge area, they felt happy with the work and the men.

Nicholette
Tourist

Postby Nicholette » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 am

Hi

I know a great, reliable, english electrician if you would like his details? Thanks.