Tahini

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tahini

Postby Ricasso » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Does anybody know where you can get Tahini (sesame paste) to make hummus? Or any Indian and Middle eastern ingredients? Also very hot chillies? I'm in Cómpeta area.. Many thanks..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tahini

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm

Try Iranzo in Nerja. They definitely sell it plus a truly amazing collection of spices and other exotic ingredients.Try growing your own chillies if you can't find fresh ones.

Sid

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 pm

http://www.salsasierranevada.com/?fbcli ... ets04jYhxA
These are based near Granada, but as Sid said grow your own.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:00 pm

I have seen the small Thai chillies in some veg markets and some supermarkets. A pack lasts a long time and chillis freeze well whole and don’t suffer from freezer burn. Sometimes you can buy a plant in the viveros.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 am

Or order chilli seeds from one of the myriad suppliers on the Internet. Will be getting mine once we get back from vacation. As Sid say they freeze well and lose none of their heat when thawed. I have an entire freezer shelf full of them.

Easy to grow. Maybe it my dirt but I have much better success growing in pots.

Think, but not sure that I saw tahini in Mercadona recently.
Regards

Bob

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks everyone. I will try Mercadona in Torre today. The one in Torrox didn't have any and the assistant looked at me as if I was mad whan I asked. Probably my bad Spanish though.

I do grow my own chillies and I have a good supplier in a little Asian supermarket in Berlin which I bring with me but I'm running out. The trouble with growing them now is that I spend a lot of time between Berlin and Axaequia so difficult to maintain.

Thanks for all your help Sid, Quebin & Bob..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 am

Just consulted with the oracle, aka my wife who says that we saw tahini in loypar (sp) the wholesalers located in the industrial Velez industrial park, near to Bufalo the huge furniture shop.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm

I have bought tahini from the health shop in Nerja called Rincon Natural, tucked away behind Currencies Direct shop opposite Supersol (on the western side of town). I have bought it in other health shops around here too, ones that sell vitamin supplements etc. I buy Monks roasted organic tahini which has a particularly good nutty flavour.

There is also a little Moroccan shop on Torrox Costa nearly opposite Supersol on the coast road. It is in one of the converted garages on the slip road. It sells a good range of spices and dried fruit, but not sure about tahini as I've never needed it when I've gone there.

Mercadona do sell a very good hummous, a natural one and one with red pepper added. Not sure if they still do it but they did do one made from lentils which was very nice and had a cumin flavour to it.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Halal butcher in Velez

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:47 pm

I did say that you can get it in Iranzo in Nerja. I can guarantee they will have at least two varieties.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Tahini aside as Sid says Iranzo in Nerja is so worth a visit. Have been shopping there since the early 1980's and the spice section is amazing as well as many other hidden gems throughout the shop.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

This sounds very posh. Thought I had clicked the wrong key and got into Islington community forum. :wink: