Crab

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
ashtondav
Resident

Crab

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Curious. Why, when there is a lot of lobster, gambas, crayfish etc for sale there is a distinct lack of fresh crab. Yes, i've seen it in Eroski but its not exactly common. I would have thought it was no more a cold water crustacean than lobster, for example.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Crab

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Alcampo usually have it. You can buy frozen crab easily in Mercadonna and it's not bad - Irish I think.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Gave up with the crabs from Eroski. Invariably when you remove the shell rather than being packed with paste they are almost empty.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm

We have bought the frozen ones from Mercadona and found them to be mainly water once they had defrosted, so a bit disappointing. Not a patch on a fresh Cromer crab!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I must have had at least a dozen frozen ones and they all were full of meat. Not as good as a big fresh one!

Sid

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:17 pm

You can buy them fresh and alive(in my opinion the best way to buy)from the market in Malaga. By doing it yourself you can guarantee it is full of meat.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:00 am

Cromer crab is excellent. They closed the big factory in the middle of town a few years ago

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Spain is one of the largest importers of crab, there was a crab and seafood Importer in Marbella he used to play at our golf course. Spain was (is) the fourth largest importer of fish in the world.

Selsey crab is sold fresh in the next village. Never bought it but have had some good meals at crabshacks in Selsey

Never used to see it on Spanish menus very frequently. Having seen crabs murdered in a UK food market I would never want to buy a live one. Stopped eating them for years, likewise Lobster. Bit hypocritical I know. Similar with those restaurant fish tanks. Aside from them being overcrowded Most look grubby and unhygienic.