Strong wheat flour for bread machine?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
rafiki
Resident

Strong wheat flour for bread machine?

Postby rafiki » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 am

Anybody know a local (preferably Sevilla) source of good, strong wheat flour, both white and brown, suitable for use in bread machines? We have tried out what is available in our local supermarkets and had a look in Carrefour, Sevilla but have found nothing that works well enough. What do other bread machine users use?
Brian.

MiriamO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MiriamO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:14 pm

If you can find an Eroski they have a decent strong white flour. I'm not sure of the name but it comes in a red and white 1.5kg bag. It has a yellow symbol on the front and is usually kept with the dietary bits and pieces like tofu, supplements etc.
Otherwise have you tried the ready mix packs from Lidl? They just need water and perhaps a very small amount of extra quick yeast and they are pretty good. We use the one in the blue pack which is strictly for ciabatta but just make it up as for bread.
The only other option is a trip to Morrison's in Gibraltar or one of the English shops.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:49 pm

Spanish flour is a "strong" flour. You dont need anything special.

Gallo Extra is available in most supermarkets

Sid

MiriamO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MiriamO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Yes, that's the one, Gallo Extra in the red & white bag. It works fine for making good bread.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:30 am

Thanks all. I will look for the flours you recommend and try them when we are in Spain again at the end of next week. I shall also take some of my regular flour from UK as a control.

I am an experienced bread maker using my Panasonic machine in UK but I have been unsuccessful with the German machine I have in Spain. I tried a recipe which works in UK but in Spain it rises well then sinks badly in the middle. I have also tried the standard recipe in the book that came with the German machine. Same result, so I suspect the flour. I have tried varying the amount of water with little success. I use the Hovis yeast sachets for bread makers in both machines so it's unlikely to be that.

Any observations would be welcome.
Brian.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:46 pm

I brought my Panasonic breadmaker with me and it was a bit of trial & error at first after I'd gone through my stock I'd brought over with me from the UK. However, I now use Gallo Harina de Trigo Extra in the red and white packet and it seems to work fine with that.

I also use either the Hovis or Allinson's dried packet yeast but be very careful to seal the packets when not in use and don't keep an opened packet for too long otherwise the yeast won't be as strong enough.

Check the water temperature as well - make sure that it's not too cold or too warm, be guided by your instruction booklet.

Another problem could be the varying electric current - if your electricity is a little unstable (peaks & troughs) then this won't help either.

Good luck.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:28 am

I took a bag of my tried and tested flour out on our last trip a couple of weeks ago (caused considerable interest at airport security!). I used it in accordance with the bread machine manual's recipe for standard white and then used my Panasonic recipe. Both times it sank in the middle :roll:

So it's not the flour. The machine seems to be working OK so I'll have to experiment with the amount of water I use next.
Brian.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:19 pm

In Nerja there is a supermarket called Mas - I don't know if this is part of a chain and if so there might be one near you. They sell Allinsons wholemeal flour.

I am lucky as there is also a shop called Iranzos in Nerja where they stock all sorts of English and German products, and they have a range of flour readily available. I use a Panasconic breadmaker, and have never had any problems with the results, unless there has been a power cut.

I haven't yet had to try the Spanish flour.

I don't actually live in Nerja, but it is a good excuse for a visit when we have to stock up on flour.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Thanks. Yes, we have a MAS at Matalascañas and at La Puebla del Rio that I know of. Never been into either but 'll pop in when passing next time.
Brian.