Should I change private health insurer?

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Should I change private health insurer?

Postby Superplonk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:12 pm

I've just used a price comparison website and I see that I could save around 17 euros/month, times 3 family members by switching to what is probably the best known insurer. They include the same clinics and doctors (and more) that we already use. I appreciate that they wouldn't cover existing conditions, but apart from my monthly pack of statins I don't think it would be a problem if I can see the same doctor as now for general blood tests.
Is there any reason why changing would be a bad idea?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Should I change private health insurer?

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:57 pm

It would be helpful to say who your current insurer is and who is the proposed new insurer.
Someone might be able to comment if it is a wise move.
The cheapest is not always the best.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm

We are with Prevision Medica and are considering changing to Sanitas. No particular problem with PM, I'm just thinking about the price. There are other insurers that cost even less than Sanitas, but I've never heard of them, so am wary.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:53 pm

I am surprised that Sanitas is cheaper than Prevision Medica. I know that the co-payments can be much higher with Sanitas. A lot depends on your age. Once you get to 65 you may find some large premium increases or reduction in cover. Prevision Medica do not change the policy when you reach a certain age.

If you compare the premiums for over 65, Sanitas is twice the price of PM.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I recently got a quote from both of those companies and PM was about 46€ a month and Sanitas was 75€ for similar cover (I am under 65). I know that Sanitas do different levels of cover and their very basic policy is quite cheap but then it doesn't cover hospitalisation.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:52 pm

PM is planning to charge us 57/month from January. If you ask for a quote they will offer new customers the same plan for 46/month. The Sanitas plan does include hospitalisation and is probably cheaper for three reasons: 1) it's a price for new customers, 2) there is a 4 euro copayment, 3) they are charging less for our young son, so the average for the family comes down. I would think that "plan hopping" is something you can only do a small number of times before every illness you get is a pre-existing condition.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:57 pm

A good friend is covered by Sanitas she thought, been with them for many years. She is having tremendous difficulties getting them to pay for her cancer treatment, and the approved clinic.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Also bear in mind that you are on statins which means that you have a cholesterol problem. That means that your risk of any sort of coronary or circulation problems is higher than normal.

So, if you have a stroke or heart attack or anything remotely connected with cardio-vascular disease, you will no longer be covered.

Sid

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:24 pm

That's a good point. Their definition of pre-existing could be pretty broad. I suppose I could stay with PM and move the other family members to the cheaper plan.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:44 pm

That could work, assuming that they have a totally clean medical record.

Sid

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am

Just to follow up on this, I've moved our son to Sanitas. He has never had a day's illness in his life, so there is no issue with pre-existing conditions. His monthly bill falls from 57 to 23 euros and we get a free Samsung tablet thingy.
The main point about this is that some insurers charge less for children.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Does anyone know how they check on pre existing conditions? I have a hereditary kidney condition which could in later years be problematic. UK doctors confirmed its existence but I receive no treatment or have any outward symptoms. In short, unless they read my UK file, I could say I never even knew it was there.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun May 01, 2016 4:18 pm

When I joined Sanitas a couple of years ago an English doctor phoned me and questioned me for quite a long time. I told the truth and I had had a couple of procedures and they took me on with no existing conditions. I think if you withhold information it voids your policy. I do recall they asked about my parents, their health, if still alive etc.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 am

Unicorn, Thanks for the info. I wouldn´t chance it anyway. A bit of a false economy if it did all go wrong.