Online glasses?

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
allgram
Resident

Online glasses?

Postby allgram » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Has anyone used / recommend an online company to buy spectacles from,I now have my optical prescription and would like a new pair they need to be graduated, thank you.
allgram.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Online glasses?

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 pm

www.glass’sdirect.co.uk

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I used glasses direct and were excellent!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:35 pm

I've used Selectspecs a few times (and had to unsubscribe, they send a lot of emails and almost always in duplicate). Fine, no problems and very cheap for standard stuff. My problem is that I need out-of-the-ordinary things and the savings over the high street weren't great. For normalish prescriptions, things can be very cheap and they offer various tints including grad (which sometimes is expensive for what it is).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Varifocals by mail are not recommended as they need to be aligned and fitted correctly. One company (I cant remember which) sends you a blank pair and you mark them up and send them back which apparently is safer.

Sid

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:02 pm

I got my varifocals from glasses direct, no problems and better than my expensive Boots glasses.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 pm

This is worth reading - unbiased advice, particularly about varifocals.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/opticia ... ed-to-know

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 pm

i have glasses when my eyes need a rest from my contact lenses, i have never bought my glasses on line due to them being varifocals, I guess i'm worried about having to do the measurements myself and making a mistake . I do however buy my contact lenses online with my contact lens prescription and i do save money.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Allgram, I took 'graduated' to mean tints, as opposed to varifocals. If you mean varifocals, you will need to know what all the numbers mean to avoid a mistake. I dislike how high-street opticians hold the PD like it's Official Secrets Act but it's worth getting that info out of them, or it can be DIY with a bit of assistance, for best results. Also, if you have a comfy pair of glasses, look at those numbers on the armpiece and select something similar so they sit on your ears and nose well.