Ranitidina withdrawn

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Ranitidina withdrawn

Postby olive » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:20 am

Ranitidina has been withdrawn as a prescribed drug in Spain.

Anyone know why? Presumably side effects versus effectiveness.

The indigestion drug is still available on the shelves of UK supermarkets

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ranitidina withdrawn

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:24 am

Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Saw an article today that said several UK supermarkets have now removed their generic version of ranitidine from sale. Luckily we stocked up with a load during our trip back a couple of weeks ago. The cheapest we've found them so far is in a shop called Home Bargains of which there is a huge one in Basingstoke. Given the size of the shop I assume they are a chain. Anyways 79p for a pack of 12. Given the current situation we bought 20 packets which should keep us going for quite some time to come.
Regards

Bob

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 am

I've always suffered with acid reflux I used to just take a Rennie as an immediate remedy or Zantac long term. When I moved to Spain I found Rennies very expensive, my pharmacist recommended Ranitidina 150mg, I was taking this drug almost daily which was a lot cheaper than Rennies and could be bought at a pharmacy without prescription. More recently my chemist told told me I now needed a prescription for the drug but recommended Pantoprazol 20mg instead which I have been taking since and works just fine and take far less frequently.

Obviously as mentioned in the linked article gerry posted the side effects caused the withdrawal from use.

Hope this is of some use.

terry :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm

I have hiatus hernia. Used to have terrible heartburn and sometimes indigestion, hospital Prescribed Lansaprazole No problems since (3 years). can eat anything.