Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 pm

There are too many people making up or spreading conspiracy theories and false news. Surely the only thing that matters is stopping the spread of this deadly virus, not who/how/when/what caused it!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Matt hancock and the brexit minister david frost aswell. Lets hope hankcock doesnt end up on a trolley in a corridor!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Wicksey wrote:
olive wrote: Did anyone notice the Chinese are closing their borders even for stranded own nationals?. I can see the same happening in Europe in a few weeks time. Not good news for those of us in exile from their country of habitual residence
I saw on the TV news last night that parts of China are lifting the lockdown. It showed Beijing which seemed to be business as normal and people were travelling again.

An article in the Daily Telegraph this morning: "Sweden keeps schools and borders open in 'huge experiment' on virus
While much of the world goes into lockdown to stop the disease, in Sweden, life is continuing unchanged - but is it the right approach?" :think: not sure if that's a good idea.
Yeah alot of the areas are allowing freedom of movement now

Intresting about sweden. Whats the population like age wise and i presume a top notch health service?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Sweden only has 2 really populated cities. Thats a big help.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

I think the point I was making about China closing its border was lost. In simple terms they are coming out of the worst but now stopping anyone coming in.

Therefore I suspect we can see countries closer to home doing the same. In other words closing their borders even to nationals.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

You could be right Olive although i saw it written somewhere that China said it was a temporary measure, but that can mean how long is a piece of string...Who knows what will happen in the future and if other countries follow suit, i do know most countries will be anxious to return to normal asap, especially Usa...
I did wonder if BJ cabinet members would be affected by the virus and i have just noticed one or two are, i guess there will have been quite a number of people in BJ presence so i assume they will also have to self isolate for 14 days..Not the best of times..
One thing is for sure this virus is not selective on who it picks on, all the money in the world doesn't save anyone and the more money you have the more people you have around you.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

But all the money in the world will buy you good health care and the ability to be fit and healthy to help you more if you do get it.

Some figures from a couple of days ago.

In the cases analyzed by the ISCIII, whose sample differs from the last report from the Health Ministry, 74% of coronavirus patients who died or who required intensive care had some kind of previous condition: 64% presented cardiovascular diseases, 19% had respiratory problems, and 16% some other kind of issue. In other countries, diabetes, cancer or immunosuppression issues have been shown to be a factor. The report also underlines the key factor of age: nearly 90% of those who died were over the age of 70 (19.8% between 70 and 79, and 68.9% 80 or over)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/english.el ... utType=amp

Infection rate 14% today 18% yesterday and 20 the day before. so stabilizing according to fernando simon. So the lock down is starting to have an effect.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm

The only published figures that really can be relied on are the number of deaths as they have to be recorded. Cases of infection are meaningless as there is no standard method of testing the overall population. Most recorded cases are people in serious trouble who end up in hospital or at least have been tested.

If a country has a very good testing regime, assuming they have enough test kits, they will pick up more cases which will produce a lower mortality rate, Germany’s being one example. What is worrying is that, according to the latest data, about a third of all infected people have no symptoms at all but are just as contagious as someone with serious symptoms. However as if they have no symptoms they are less likely to cough all over you in the supermarket queue!

There is only one certain way of avoiding this virus and it is to lock down at home and do not have any contact with anyone. That is not always easy if you have no one to help with shopping or prescriptions but it is the goal to aim at.

I am guessing that the majority of our forum members are over 70 which puts them in the high risk category, if only by age. Many of us will probably have underlying medical conditions which make it worse. At least, if you manage to avoid the virus until it starts to slow down, which may only be a few weeks away, if you do get infected you are more likely to get decent medical care once the ICU beds and ventilators become more available. Also even in the short term, given time more re-purposed antiviral drugs will be available. Long term, vaccinations will solve the problem but that appears to be a year away or more. Even if a vaccine becomes approved getting it out to billions of people is a huge challenge.

Lock up and stay safe.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm

olive wrote:Interesting no one commented when members of the Spanish government got the virus.
Judging by this thread the majority of expats are not aware of Spanish affairs.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:36 pm

costakid wrote:Sweden only has 2 really populated cities. Thats a big help.
Yep, Sweden has a population of only 10 million, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö and Uppsala are the biggest urban areas and together they have only around 2 million inhabitants, the rest are basically scattered around the country (which is the 3rd largest in europe) in much smaller communities, one problem could be Uppsala which is only 70 kms from Stockholm and is a big university town with students from all over the world, won't help if they are travelling backwards and forwards !

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Swedes also tend to be very pragmatic and sensible, without having to be told to be. I was speaking to a friend of mine in Falkenberg (between Malmö & Gothenburg) earlier. Although they have no enforced lockdown, he's staying home, and ordering home deliveries, which he never has done before. Another interesting point, is that for some time now Sweden has been a virtually cashless society. I think it's been well documented how dirty cash can be (literally, not in the black economy sense!) so I wonder how much difference this may make? I'm a bit of a stubborn old traditionalist, but I've now started using contactless card payments, because frankly it makes sense to do so now. (I popped out today for some "essentials", and at one shop the staff controlling how many people went in at a time were also asking customers to pay by contactless if possible).
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18 pm

katy wrote:
olive wrote:Interesting no one commented when members of the Spanish government got the virus.
Judging by this thread the majority of expats are not aware of Spanish affairs.
Quite a few Spanish politician have got it but I can't think of any other country's leader who has. No one pointed out that Nadine Dorries had it either

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

Peteroldracer: I would like to be sedated with numerous bottles of ‘Habla del Silencio’ my favourite red wine.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am

http://www.covidvisualizer.xcom

I have disabled this link. Please do not try to access it until its validity is confirmed by Costakid.

Beachcomber, ADC Moderator

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:49 am

Well worth a look at this site.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Call me sceptical but I do question China's figures, and the fact that there have been no new cases in a population of 1.4bn plus Spain has now had more deaths than them. The EWN reports that the 650.000 rapid testing kits that Spain has bought are being sent back due to only being 30% accurate ..... they bought them from China. As Sid says, not everyone has been/can be tested so we'll never know the true figure of infections.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Costakid, does that link to an interactive map and can you confirm its validity from a malware/virus (computer) perspective?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Looks very iffy to me Beach. I would delete the link.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news ... igher.html

Good article re the figures and how the death toll in reality is higher

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Plenty in the news about what various countries are (or are not) doing to contain the spread of infections & limit the fatalities - but I haven't come across anything to explain how Portugal is keeping the numbers so low. Did they close the border with Spain early on? Latest figure is 76 deaths, which given the proximity to the disaster unfolding in Spain seems remarkable.
Similarly, how have countries with land borders with China such as Vietnam, Cambodia & Mynmar managed to avoid any deaths at all? Or are they just not reporting them?

(I'm getting my figures from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ by the way)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.