Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby olive » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Lavanda wrote:Maybe, when this is over we might come to a better idea of how we want to go forward into the future and that might include not eating animals. As most of you know in my occasional rants I never buy anything Made in China if I can possibly, possibly help it. Maybe countries should crank up their industries again, train people in engineering and science and maybe we should all start paying proper prices for what things are really worth and that includes decent wages. So it will be "Adios China". I love that the NHS is getting recognition and applause in the UK but, really, maybe just give all the nurses and the lowly health workers a massive pay rise. However, I doubt that will happen.
Your doubts are well founded. Just about everything seems to be made with components that come from China. Witness European car companies running into production problems because no starter motors, alternators were coming from Wuhan area. I can no longer remember what I posted earlier but our local Spanish "poundshop" staff were all wearing masks weeks ago. my OH needed some against pollen. The owner said I haven't any to sell but I can give you this one. (his last one). The Chinese restaurant we use in Filey announced it was closing about 23 days ago, way before the government lockdowns. Pre- empting backlash?

Closer to home in Spain the crisis in olive farming hasn't been fixed. Why pay a decent rate for food when you can buy abroad for less? I read recently Boris declared farming in the UK was a dead duck (my words not his) and that it was more cost effective to buy from a country with cheaper overheads. I had just recovered from the shock and Ursula van Leyen said the same thing to EU member states. It doesn't answer the question as to what our countryside would look like with farmers managing it........

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:24 pm

After the elderly found dead and dying in abandoned care homes, the Defensor del Paciente has written to the Attorney General after Police found 2 dead and some seriously ill from Virus in a Psychiatric unit. He asks what would have happened if the Police had not arrived. He calls it a gross dereliction of duty. El Mundo

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Is there any purpose to posting this? Could be coming to a care home near you in the U.K
I So Bella tis you

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:58 pm

It is Spanish news, breaking in El Mundo. I thought that's what the thread was about not trivia. Or do you only want to talk about Boris? Can you elighten me as to what is acceptable. May happen in UK and I am sure it will be plastered all over this forum.

I am beginning to think you are stalking me Just had a glance back. Is it a case of don't mention the war :crazy:

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Nice try.....not biting.
I So Bella tis you

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Katy's post is perfectly valid. Please leave the moderation to the moderators.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Thank you katy for posting that piece of information, hubby is trying to locate the piece which you have posted..He was absolutely disgusted and saddened when he first heard of this story especially as his mother once resided in a nursing home in Granada before she died..He has had telephone conversations about the abandoned care homes with his family in Spain who are equally as shocked and disgusted and hope that those who are responsible will be brought to account...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Closer to home in Spain the crisis in olive farming hasn't been fixed. Why pay a decent rate for food when you can buy abroad for less? I read recently Boris declared farming in the UK was a dead duck (my words not his) and that it was more cost effective to buy from a country with cheaper overheads. I had just recovered from the shock and Ursula van Leyen said the same thing to EU member states. It doesn't answer the question as to what our countryside would look like with farmers managing it........

Olive when I first heard this I thought he had the wrong idea. Has been a lot of investment in growing technology in UK. Lovely strawberries from Scotland at Easter. earlier and later fruit and veg etc But after listening to a succession of Farmers/growers on TV recently whinging they are short of foreign labour (they said it last year too!) and need 20,000 workers I thought it makes sense. Less cost for tax credits and many other benefits. Lets just import, benefits poor countries e.g.. green beans from Kenya, really cheap tomatoes from Morrocco etc. We would also not have the pollution of all the chemical spraying done with enthusiasm in some Med countries.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:34 pm

I'm shocked and disgusted that more people are not shocked and disgusted as it really is shocking and disgusting.

I listened to ****'s address to the Nation last night and there was a lot that he said that was from the heart and very sensible. He came across as someone struggling to deal with a responsibility that he never, in his wildest dreams, ever expected to cope with. Still, at least he is visible and, luckily, not in isolation with mild symptoms of the virus. However, I did agree with him that this is a European-wide problem — all countries are suffering to some degree or other — and once it's over, or at least under control, it will be an EU responsibility to put back together, or to repair or make new, the social and economic order that will follow.

The only bit I didn't really get was Easter. Obviously, in a Catholic country Easter is the most important festival but it will not be happening this year. Is there some move to get the Pope to postpone Easter and we will have all the celebrations later in the year? Anyone know?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Pamela it is here, one of those like as it happens rolling news in Guardian. Scroll down page to about 14.20 and it is there

https://www.elmundo.es/ciencia-y-salud/ ... b4661.html

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 pm

The asterix in my post refer to the name of the President of Spain. His first and second name with proper spellings etc. I will leave the moderators to moderate and maybe they can tell me what is wrong with the name of Mr Sanchez???

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:56 pm

One of the problems I have now I'm stuck in the house is that I'm not talking nowhere near as much to the adult Spanish students who usually keep me up to date with Spanish news . Now I'm just reading the basic El Pais English stuff and mostly what's going on back in the UK.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:08 pm

We keep up with the Spanish news first and foremost as we live here. The UK is a side-show but for the family we have there. If everyone comes through in one piece most will be bankrupt as they are self-employed, work for small businesses or rely on savings and investments - as do most pensioners. It will be carnage of a different sort.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Moderators have no control over the automatic censor.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Thanks, Beachcomber, but why is his name something worthy of censorship? I guess we will never know.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Mark Problem is that like the UK most Spanish newspapers have now got a paywall. I can read them free in UK through OHs business club but not the Spanish.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 pm

katy wrote:Pamela it is here, one of those like as it happens rolling news in Guardian. Scroll down page to about 14.20 and it is there

https://www.elmundo.es/ciencia-y-salud/ ... b4661.html
Thank's Katy. :)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:39 pm

Lavanda wrote:We keep up with the Spanish news first and foremost as we live here. The UK is a side-show but for the family we have there. If everyone comes through in one piece most will be bankrupt as they are self-employed, work for small businesses or rely on savings and investments - as do most pensioners. It will be carnage of a different sort.
The thing is I really dislike Spanish TV so I watch very little. Even my wife sticks to British TV. Normally I don't have much time for anything so if am told anything interesting, I go looking for it online.

Keeping up with British news is actually quite important here because many people question me regarding the limited information they get in their papers. Boris is a bit of a figure of fun here so it's quite ironic that I have to defend him because of some misinformation.

The Spanish press can be a bit lazy when looking for news sourced from the British press. I always remember my wife proudly telling me that the local rag had an exclusive that one of David Beckham's kids was to be called Juan...…..Juan Neil

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Agreed. Spanish TV is rubbish and we don't watch much TV at all. For years we didn't have one and then Movistar gave us a TV package with our mobile and internet so we have one now. However, I did watch ****'s address yesterday as it was too important not to. The press do not seem to have covered it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Asterix again! P E D R O S A N C H E Z