Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Yes. Ha Ha .

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:44 pm

katy wrote:Every industry wants a bailout now. Charities the latest. Feel sorry for the small genuine ones
I sent the money I'm saving by not going out to two of the local animal charities. They must be struggling without their usual fundraising activities and with their shops being shut.

There have been articles on UK TV about charities struggling, and talked about the London marathon and all the money that could be 'lost'. I never quite understood why people will only give to charities if someone runs 26 miles, or has their head shaved, or jumps out of an aeroplane et al. If the marathon was to be cancelled why can't people donate the money anyway?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Spanish friend has just sent me some amazing footage of the military in the centre of Competa in armoured vehicles making their presence felt. Surreal to see.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Military evident Torrox down to Torrox Costa too, seemed to be liaising with Local Police.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Day 28 in exile (in England)

Last night I was awoken by a tremendous noise. It turned out to be young Fangio in a supermarket delivery van rounding the corner with the side door open. Do not know if they got delivered or not. A bottle of wine did not.

Stayed up till gone midnight to see if new delivery slots became available for my flexible Tesco order. Tried the technique recommended by a neighbour. No luck.

In the morning we moved the sofa into the hall to await the UK governments letter to all. It didn’t come. Tomorrow said the post lady through the letterbox. I suspect it will say “ Well done everyone but tougher lockdown coming. Here is a tenner to spend to get the economy going”

In the afternoon, I went online to see if any Tesco delivery slots. None. Had a look at click and collect. Nothing from the store six miles away, the nearest is a round trip of 65 miles. Hmm. Be nice to have a drive out but dare I leave my dad alone? Maybe take him with me. Might be nice having the excitement of a confrontation with a policeman.

Next job register with Morrisons. Hurray , I am circa 45,000 in the queue. Daren’t switch the PC off in case I am put to the back of the queue. Don’t know what I am queueing for but being British it is good fun. The only Morrisons site I can access now is that showing me my place in the queue. Just looked and I am 32,591. Progress.

The lady manning our official Covid 19 support group Email is an Italian expat. She only has a small back pack of possessions unlike my luxury 10Kg case. I commiserated with her.

Got a few days of provisions left before I need to face the queue at a supermarket only to find once again they haven’t got much.

PS 30,902 in the queue. Wait time 29 minutes. Earth minutes?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Interesting that you have written about ordering food in the UK olive. My SIL is staying with my 93 year old FIL who is recovering from cancer surgery. She dare not go out in case she brings home any germs but cannot get any food delivered. She asked me to look as she only has her phone with her which is not easy to work on. Iceland have no slots, who she was successful with before. Tesco said yes for next Fri but then when I tried to shop it said no slots for the next 3 weeks. Even for click and collect there are no slots. Looked at local farm shops but no go with them either. I've yet to try Morrisons but from what you say it doesn't look hopeful. I think most shops are saying no new customers.

I think she'll have to ask the neighbours to do some shopping for them at this rate if she can't go out. Mind you that's not easy either, with long queues to get in apparently. Goodness, what a state to be in. So glad we are here with plentiful food. Only wish I could send some over to my poor FIL.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:15 pm

My dad is also 93. Stable but much reduced ability after heart failure.

Get your SIL to contact the local Covid 19 support group. If she hasn't had a leaflet, google for the locality. They only get a max of £30 of shopping or medicines but better than nothing. If you have cooking facilities you can make a lot of meals for that money. I share her concern. You wouldn't want to be the person that caused their demise.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 pm

My parents, 96 and 93, have not had a letter or any person contacting them about anything. The UK news allows the UK government to talk the talk but the practice on the ground is dire. Your post, Olive, is familiar. Thank goodness my Mum’s helper still manages to do some local shopping and keeps an eye on my parents. When this is over I will be sending my phone bill to the UK government for a grant or interest-free loan. Ha!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Micheal Gove says there is a shortage of the relevant chemical reagents to increase tests. The Chemical Industries Association say that's news to us.
A few weeks ago Matt Hancock said that the government had been talking to the supermarkets. The supermarkets said they hadn't.
Meanwhile the government have gone into self congratulatory mode, while using superlative opinion adjectives similar ones that to the fat orange baby from across the pond uses, telling us how fantastic they are doing

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 pm

:Funny there are more support groups than needed in this area. All back to normal except no delivery slots but plenty of volunteers if housebound.

I find my money is mounting up as although a bit more expenditure on food no spending on entertainment, restaurant meals etc. Have to call all my obscure friends and relatives to see how they are managing to eat. Perhaps Expats could organise some food parcels. :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Wicksey wrote:
katy wrote:Every industry wants a bailout now. Charities the latest. Feel sorry for the small genuine ones
I sent the money I'm saving by not going out to two of the local animal charities. They must be struggling without their usual fundraising activities and with their shops being shut.

There have been articles on UK TV about charities struggling, and talked about the London marathon and all the money that could be 'lost'. I never quite understood why people will only give to charities if someone runs 26 miles, or has their head shaved, or jumps out of an aeroplane et al. If the marathon was to be cancelled why can't people donate the money anyway?
Quite right. The larger charities have millions each sitting around plus many paid more than £100,000 pa. I still support two animal charities in Spain because I feel they are needed and genuine. I think people support odd stunts because they are acquaintances and get browbeaten into it. I have had a few requests from a young relative who is going to Africa to do charity work this summer, no thanks would rather give it to an African.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

katy wrote::Funny there are more support groups than needed in this area. All back to normal except no delivery slots but plenty of volunteers if housebound.

I find my money is mounting up as although a bit more expenditure on food no spending on entertainment, restaurant meals etc. Have to call all my obscure friends and relatives to see how they are managing to eat. Perhaps Expats could organise some food parcels. :lol:

My out of pocket expenses have halved in the last two weeks, when the opportunity arises I will be having a nice new big screen telly !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Manchesteral I am thinking of a luxury holiday...just hope it is this year.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Wicksey wrote:
katy wrote:. I never quite understood why people will only give to charities if someone runs 26 miles, or has their head shaved, or jumps out of an aeroplane et al. If the marathon was to be cancelled why can't people donate the money anyway?
It's because many people don't want to be told how to spend their money. They want to pay less taxes but then they become mini philanthropists
It's the upside down Inside out UK.

I always have supported the footballers who earn loads because I prefer that it goes to them than some billionaire. However, I'm watching with interest how they react to this crisis, I hope they will drop their wages so that the the much lower paid workers at the big clubs get paid.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Spanish friend has just sent me some amazing footage of the military in the centre of Competa in armoured vehicles making their presence felt. Surreal to see.
They have been doing a recce in Marbella too. I wonder if they are anticipating social unrest like what is starting in Italy as people get poorer. Some shops have been looted etc.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 pm

katy wrote:Manchesteral I am thinking of a luxury holiday...just hope it is this year.
I can heartily recommend Parrot cay, (Turks and Caicos) very, very relaxed but of course not cheap, I played the guitar there with Keith Richards once in Como bar, he taught me how to open tune a guitar, he's not a mate but I've been waiting to namedrop him for years :-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 am

katy wrote:Manchesteral I am thinking of a luxury holiday...just hope it is this year.
I am still constantly thinking of that too. I have a trip booked much later this year that I thought was safe ....... :think:

EDIT On a good news front .... managed to arrange a delivery of food to my FIL tomorrow with Iceland. They are adding slots throughout the day and so you have to just keep at it, but I'm really relieved that we've got something on its way.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:43 pm

I can cope with incarceration as there are lots of things/clearing/cleaning/sorting to do in the house ... but the weather is getting to me ... ever since lockdown, 14 March, there have been grey skies, thick low cloud, heavy downpours (the stream is a raging muddy torrent) and really cold ... and to cap it all, last evening ... thunder/lightening ... and ... a storm of hail ... covered everywhere like crunchy snow ... knocked blossom/leaves off citrus trees, wisteria, honeysuckle etc ... I want to plant some vegetables and salad stuff but the terrace is waterlogged and it's far too cold ...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Sound's like last year, same pattern, Feb 2019/20 both lovely followed by cold and miserable weather during April, last Easter turned out to be a dead loss.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:15 pm

katy wrote:....would rather give it to an African.
Just made me think....I wonder what all the look-see men are doing? Don't suppose there'll be any govt. help for them, unless they're registered as refugees/assylum seekers.
Furthermore, I haven't seen any news items about migrants crossing the Med recently. Has the CV crisis stopped them trying?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.