Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby katy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 pm

elusive wrote:https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... hours.html

Goverment stats showing alot less deaths etc.
Yes, looks positive. But UCI and hospital admissions have rose :o also the new proposal to intern those tested and are asymptomatic has caused controversy on Twitter today.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Johnson in intensive care

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Perhaps the idiots who keep going out as if nothing is wrong may take notice now the PM is in intensive care.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 am

Maybe, Costakid, but I'm not sure there is a link between idiots and politics. They probably have no idea who the PM is. I find it a bit disturbing, as well, that the news from Britain is that some experts think they are going to peak in a minute and then it will be all over. Maybe, but the historical charts of the virus in other countries suggest they are in for another two or three weeks before the peak. Also, Britain is having its own multiple deaths in care homes, no doubt leaving many families very sad.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:20 am

“Idiot” New Zealand health minister breaks lockdown.

Not my words but news headline. Not sacked just demoted. You couldnt make it up.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:30 am

Wicksey wrote:
Lyric wrote:As is normal on Sunday I can see the columns of smoke from at least four bonfires, all at second properties. They must have self ignited.
Jose has just passed going to his country house as he does every morning.
I will probably be arrested if I take rubbish to the bins.
We were just saying the same. Cars have been coming past all morning, some we don't recognise as our usual neighbours. Just about every campo weekend house we can spy on has people at it. It certainly seems like business as usual up here.

Olive, when I looked at the Tesco online shopping site, click and collect slots had to be booked the same way as delivery slots, and none were available. I had been considering arranging an order to be collected by taxi and taken to my FIL's, but it wasn't to be. Iceland came up trumps though, although I did have to say the customer was over 70/vulnerable in order to proceed, and I did have to keep refreshing the page all day until a delivery slot popped up. I'm relieved that he's got a pretty good stock of food in for the moment, although they didn't have any tinned soup or fruit for him. I wish I could send them a food parcel as there's no shortages here. Last week a lot of food in Mercadona and Lidl was reduced as they don't seem to be very busy.
If your elderly relatives are dependant on you trying to book slots from Spain don’t you think it is time to contact the the relevant authorities. There is a massive support system now and no need to bother with slots (there aren’t any!) There are no food shortages, absolute fake news. Maybe a shortage of Lidl baked beans etc but mostly normal.

Your first point of call should be the Local authority, CVS or the dozens of organisations like Age Concer. Even our local village shop is doing ad hoc deliveries.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:23 am

I am here with him. We are managing week to week. This week I shall be trying a p.m. shop.

It is the longer term processes (for when I am not here and hopefully back in Spain) that I am interested in. when I get deliveries organised, trip ups like Dad not hearing the door bell when the delivery arrives, how to know what to order and so on need ironing out.

On a plus note, this crisis has been great at breaking down social barriers. Like the great British reluctance to even acknowledge someone in the street let alone say hello or heaven forbid stop and actually talk. The community spirit here is now very good. I hope it and that similarly fostered elsewhere in the world continues after the event. Two neighbours in the street have actually put out some festive lights but they only illuminate them during the five minute hand clap for the "carers".

Another huge plus is employers and staff have discovered it is possible to work from home. Maybe a large proportion of that will continue after the crisis and pollution and congestion will be less until population increase catches up.

How likely is a universal wage now and continuing after the crisis in Spain? I think it is a good idea, certainly for the millions involved in the tourist trade which surely this year will be negligible. How likely is it that Corona bonds will be issued by the EU and the rich Northern countries will pay for their poorer family members in the South including Spain?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 am

I do not think the ordinary German worker would put up with helping anyone but themselves after this. Germans work incredibly hard and pay huge taxes including private medical care insurance. There is no health service, as we know it. Yes, we pay, or have paid, National Insurance Contributions (to now get no health care in Britain) but the Germans pay enormous amounts of money into their system. I can see two possibilities apart from the meltdown of the EuroZone and that is Germany will absolutely demand that countries that want a bailout get organised, efficient and a grip on everything fiscal to sort their countries economy out once and for all, or that Germany votes for the furtherest right party anyone can possibly find at their next elections.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:53 am

Lavanda wrote:Maybe, Costakid, but I'm not sure there is a link between idiots and politics. They probably have no idea who the PM is. I find it a bit disturbing, as well, that the news from Britain is that some experts think they are going to peak in a minute and then it will be all over. Maybe, but the historical charts of the virus in other countries suggest they are in for another two or three weeks before the peak. Also, Britain is having its own multiple deaths in care homes, no doubt leaving many families very sad.
I would like to see where the evidence for that is. I have been critical of the UK government. Moments before I heard the news about Boris yesterday I saw a video of him seemingly proudly declaring that he had shaken the hands of Coronavirus patients in hospital. Some people have criticized his just believe and everything will come right attitude for a while now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... osis-video

However I think that attitude changed some weeks ago. I've not seen or heard the experts saying are not saying this will all be over soon. The UK government is clear that they are trying to flatten out the virus so hospitals can cope and that there will be a gradual change back to normality which might take some months. Most experts I hear are only saying the UK will properly reach the peak in the next few days. Most scientists work on facts and evidence and will base their opinion on what to do next on what happens next.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:00 pm

A bit crass bringing Boris shaking hands when many politicians were doing it then. Police in Derbyshire say they have had over 2400 complaints on their gestapo hotline of people breaking the law although many were ruled no basis, just malicious, Coronavirus curtain twitchers.

Back to the country you live in, another care home scandal, Sevilla. Defensor de Pueblo calling for an enquiry. Someone raided running a hairdressers in a garage. when the guardia raided people were sat waiting their turn. A group of young people were caught having a botellon. Although I was thinking, many young people think differently, wonder what myself and friends would have done at 18.
Spaniard posted on Twitter that Spain now has the most deaths in the world per million, is this a fact or just another la la land of social media.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:04 pm

katy wrote: Spaniard posted on Twitter that Spain now has the most deaths in the world per million, is this a fact or just another la la land of social media.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... -rate.html
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:09 pm

I wouldn't call it la la land at all...It was italy on 30th March, it could well be Spain now.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 pm

I So Bella tis you

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:41 pm

katy wrote:A bit crass bringing Boris shaking hands when many politicians were doing it then. .
I don't think so. It is making a point.
He should have been telling people to avoid contact not encouraging it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Yes, but the report is based on statistics that may, or may not, be correct. Britain dithered too much at the start and may well have a high number of fatalities as a result - but no one knows at the moment.

Agreed, Mark.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm

markwilding wrote:
katy wrote:A bit crass bringing Boris shaking hands when many politicians were doing it then. .
I don't think so. It is making a point.
He should have been telling people to avoid contact not encouraging it.
Totally agree Mark, he should have been leading by example. But in the "crass" stakes he wins by a country mile

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... asp/17/03/
I So Bella tis you

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm

I have lost count of the number of comments on news comments sections (probably the same on facebook? ) where many blame China, yes it started in China...I can't argue with that and there is a lot to be said about whether or not China tried to cover it up before they made any announcements about the virus, that's another story...However i do think from the onset our own government in the Uk and those of other countries need to be held to account for not acting sooner, why didn't they? they knew about the virus for long enough before taking action..i would imagine that those who are suffering and have lost a family member will be asking the same question.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm

The UK Police training on diversity seems to be getting in the way of stopping people congregating. Two young people having a picnic on an empty beach are charged' Meanwhile in Sheffield, after many complaints the Police say they do not have the resources to uphold the lockdown amongst the Roma community.
With pictures

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/loc ... t-18052483

Also 56 people attended a funeral in the Midlands and refused to disperse, the police said they were unable to "persuade them"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: It seems the news over in little old England has something new to get excited over:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... own-looms/

Luckily the top comments are all from people telling the DT to get a grip. The media has lost the plot. Everything has to be 'reported' in terms of hysteria. 'El Pais in English' might be a bit boring and pedantic but it does keep itself grounded in some sort of reality. I may have to reconsider my £10.00 a month subscription to the DT to read this rubbish.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 am

Hysteria/sensationalism...click bait...The advertisers hold the purse strings of all news print and online publications, advertising sales have dropped dramatically. Those who are advertising want the satisfaction of high numbers of web traffic with every online publication they use. It's desperate times in the print / online world right now and click bait is their number one priority. The soap opera tabloids have just about thrown us all off the cliff edge with their corona virus headlines and stories,such irresponsibility and all in the name of money and survival.